Thursday, June 18, 2015

Bacon and Cheese Scones ( Thomas Keller )


I usually prefer sweet or plain scones over savoury ones but these bacon and cheese scones are really very tasty.  I remember myself making ham and cheesy scones long ago but i didnt find them as good as this. Perhaps it's the bacon thing. These scones are light and incredibly tasty. I did not use cheddar cheese here as i have some dutch buffalo cheese in my fridge so i just use that before they get expired. There is also some creme fraiche which added to the ingredients list for making the dough. I'm glad that i can get the small pack of creme fraiche here, also my first time using this.. taste very similar to sour cream.


These scones  are a little different from all my previous scones whereby these scones were baked from frozen. After shaping the scones, we put that in the freezer until they are solid firm and bake them straight out of the freezer. Since i still have some creme fraiche left from making the first batch, i made them another few days later, just to quickly use up more of the creme fraiche, I do suggest to space the scones well apart for better heat circulation when baking them as the 2nd time i made them, i used a smaller tray, resulting them to place closer to one another and they took much longer to cook especially the sides. Do give this a try if you love savoury scones, get some nice bacon and some tasty cheese.



Recipe ( from here )
plain flour /rose flour 150gms
baking powder 4gm
baking soda 1/4tsp
sugar 1tbsp
kosher salt 3/4 tsp
unsalted butter 66gms, cut into cubes
dairy cream 35gms, plus 2 tbsps more for brushing
creme fraiche 45gm
bacon 100gm  ( 50gms cooked weight )
chives 1/8cup(i didnt put this)
cheddar cheese, grated 65gm for dough, ( i used dutch buffalo cheese )
cheddar cheese, grated  15gm for sprinkling on top
ground black pepper

Directions
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda in a mixing bowl and add in the sugar and salt. On the mixer  with paddle attachment with low speed to combine. Put in the butter and mx again to combine with the paddle still running on slow. Increase the speed and mix about 2-3 minutes to break up the butter to incorporate it into the dry mixture. You may use your hands to break up the lumps.

With the mixer still running pour in the dairy cream, creme fraiche and mix till all moistened and dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough. Scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary. Put in the bacon and 65gm of grated cheese and chives and mix till they are just well combined.

Remove the dough from the bowl and transfer it to between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pat it into a rectangle block, about 6" by 4.5". You can use your hands to press the sides to straighten them. Wrap it up and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. After they become firm,, cut the block into 6 small rectangles. Arrange them in a lined pan, spaced well apart . Cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze till frozen solid, for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. The scones can be kept in the freezer for a month.

Preheat oven to 155C fan forced or 177C. Arrange the frozen scones about 1 inch apart, brush the top with some cream and sprinkle the cheese and black pepper and bake for 33-35mins in a standard oven and till they are golden brown.  (I baked for 155C fan forced for about 30mins. )




If you are in for some savoury scones, come join me, Joyce and Zoe in our bake along event from today up till June27th 2015. Thank you!


13 comments:

  1. Okay, that's it. After reading Joyce's and Zoe's and yours, I must go buy bacon now. NOW. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, I got bacon but no cheese as I've bought the wrong type ... I'm drooling over your yummy looking Bacon Cheddar Scones ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These savoury scones look droolworthy! Who could ever resist the combo of bacon and cheese? I surely can't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these sounds like a good bake. i haven't tried savoury scones so am keen to give this a go someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,

    These scones are awesome!!!! Even the non-bacon loving me is loving these... Yours look very seductive in the dark wooden background.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, after looking at Joyce's and your bacon and cheese scones, I am very tempted to bake them. What is so good about this recipe is the make ahead and bake from frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait for me time! I want to join this! Looks wonderful, let's hope I can find the time to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena,
    Yup, these scones are incredibly delicious! Love it! Buffalo cheese? Sounds interesting!
    I'll be baking the balance 6 frozen ones next week and looks like I'll be making more to freeze, perfect for lazy days when we want something to munch for tea-time! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bacon and cheese - can't go wrong with that. ;p I definitely go for savory scones with tea anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound amazing! I do sweet scones but need to expand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. scones! I love scones and savory ones are the best! These look and sound amazing. Its good to be back and see all your yummy creations

    ReplyDelete