Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sago Gula Melaka



I am sure many of you are are already familiar with this dessert. You may have eaten it many many times, it's such a popular dessert that have made existed thru the generations. Despite its popularity,  i cant believe myself that i'm only eating this the first time! I do believe that i hv seen it in some cafes serving it too but never thought of ordering it or making it myself till weeks ago, when i saw Alan posted his sago gula melaka. I really should be making this, i thought , i really should..at least try this famous and common dessert, for goodness sake.

Such an easy recipe,i am sure many of you have your own ways of preparing this delicious dessert. Infact so easy that Alan said it's not a recipe at all...haha...This dessert is to be eaten chilled so if you are a first timer like me, you may prepare to cook the sago in the morning to enjoy it in the evening or cook everything in the evening, leave them overnight in the fridge and spoon over the syrup and coconut milk upon serving the next day. Enjoy enjoy!!







Recipe ( from travelling foodies )
Ingredients
250gm sago pearls ( i used 200gm),
200gm gula melaka( palm sugar ), chopped into pieces
100gm water, for cooking gula melaka
150gm coconut cream or thick coconut milk ( take the top portion after the milk has been settled )
1/8 tsp salt
3-4 pandan leaves, cleaned and tied to a bundle

Method:
To cook gula melaka syrup :
In a saucepan, put all the gula melaka , 100gm water and pandan leaves. Let it boil to melt all the gula melaka. Lower down to heat and let it simmer for about 5-10mins. Turn off heat and pour the gula melaka syrup into a small bowl. Let it cool before storing in the fridge

For coconut milk :
Pour the coconut cream together with the salt in a small saucepan or a little pot and heat it up gently.
Do not bring to a boil, just heat up till small bubbles form around the perimeter of the pan or pot. Remove and let it cool before store in the fridge.

To cook the sagos
Need not soak the sagos. You can give it a quick rinse if you want but i did not. Prepare a pot of boiling water sufficient to cover all the sagos. When the water is boiling, put in all the sagos and cook at medium heat until all the sago turns translucent. This may take about 15-20 mins. Keep stirring so that the sagos dont stick together or stick to the pot. When they are done, pour it over a fine sieve and drain away excess water.
Wet the inside of the moulds to help unmoulding easier later.  Ladle the cooked sago pearls into the prepared moulds and using the back of the spoon, press down the sago pearls to ensure the filling is tight and filled up. Leave to cool before storing in the fridge for several hours, till they are cold and firm. Or fridge it overnight.


To serve, use a toothpick or a bamboo skewer to go around the perimeter of the mould and unmould it into the serving bowl.  It will come off easily. Pour over a generous amount of gula melaka syrup and coconut cream. Serve immediately.


I am sharing this post with Best Recipes For Everyone May 2015 ( My Favourite Dessert ) organised by Fion of XuanHom's Mom Kitchen Diary hosted by Aunty Young

15 comments:

  1. I've nvr tried this dessert before but have came across many times. Your sago gula melaka looks so tempting. Feel like having one right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sago dessert! And no, I am not familiar with it, let alone to taste one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favourite desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I've never tried or even seen this dessert before, until today! Love the combination of sago and gula melaka, sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, your sago gula melaka looks really pretty and delicious! Makes me want to reach through the screen to take a bite. Hehehe. Thanks for sharing it to BREE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm this is so good to eat in this terrible weather. Hope there is one left for me. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not familiar with this dessert, but I sure want to be! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i call this a forgotten dessert! i must hv been in beijing for too long... love and missing this mighty now

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favourite dessert. I have not taken this for more than a decade. I may go Ipoh very frequent in October, sending my daughters there for ping pong training. Hopefully we can meet up in Ipoh someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena, I googled and saw this recipe which is quite similar to yours but didn't get down to do it even though I had the sago lying in my pantry. Promise myself, I'll cook this once I'm back to my kitchen. I like anything cook with sago. This one should be a good one especially chilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh...they looked so tempting....i love such desserts too bt unfortunately the lil ones do not appreciate... Meantime i cld only drool at yrs.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    This Sago Gula Melaka dessert surely yummy ... surely it won't go wrong pairing coconut milk and gula melaka syrup ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. I could see eating it for an indulgent breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have not had this for a long long long long time. The gula mekala is alluring for this sago dessert.

    ReplyDelete