Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hot Milk Cake with Peaches and Cream


The cake gets its name as hot milk is one of the ingredients for making this. Heating up the milk and butter together is the key step that what makes it called a hot milk cake. There are also different, but quite similar recipes which we can find in the internet on hot milk cakes and in this bake along, me, Joyce and Zoe are trying out the recipe from the book, Bon Appetit. Infact, last year i had made Tish Boyle's Hot Milk Sponge Cake so i was expecting the cake to be the same, sort of.



This recipe has suggested us to bake them in custard cups, i have used my muffin pan instead and
instead of serving them in cups with cream and strawberries, i just left it as it is and filled with sliced peaches and cream. The little cakes turned out fine but less fluffier if compared to the hot milk sponge cake which i had made last year. Both are quite similar recipes but then again, at times we might not know there might be something we have not done good enough such as creaming or beating of the eggs and so on. Anyway, the peaches and cream made up for it :D

Recipe ( from the book , Bon Appetit )
makes 9
Ingredients
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tbsp self raising flour
2/3 cup whole milk
70gm unsalted butter
3-4 peach halves, from the can, sliced
1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 210C. Using electric mixer, beat eggs in medium bowl at high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, beating until thick and pale yellow, about 1 min longer. Beat in 1/2 tsp vanilla. Add flour and beat 30 seconds. Bring milk and butter just to boil in small saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Beta hot milk mixture into batter. Continue to beat for 30seconds and pour the batter into a non stick muffin tin.

Bake cakes until firm to touch and pale golden, and tops form rounded peak in center, about 16mins. Let cool before filling in the cream. Cakes can be made 8 hours ahead , cover and let stand at room temperature.

For filling, just combined the chilled whipping cream and icing sugar and whisk till soft peak . Cut the cake into half, put in 2-3 slices of peach and a dollop of whipping cream and cover with the cake top.



get the InLinkz code

22 comments:

  1. hot milk cake burgers!!! these are so cute... take, go and eat.. love the convenience

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely to me Lena. I remember that Hot Milk Sponge Cake of yours. It was so fluffy and light. I think I still have it bookmarked!

    These Hot Milk Cakes look yummy to me. I love that you filled them with Peaches and Cream. I was just telling Zoe how I often I see Hot Milk Cake recipes in old cookbooks. Now I'm getting to see what they look like all baked up!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,

    Victoria is right!!! Your hot milk cakes looks like the sweet and fruity kind of take-away burgers! I like... I will take two, please!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty!! Love the flavor combinations, too :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, these cake are so dainty and pretty. I just came from Joyce's and she mentioned that the method of beating/whisking the eggs gave different results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hi Lena! I'm back after such a long absence! :p

    Everything still looks good here and I'm glad that your passion for food is still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    Your Hot Milk Cake looks so inviting ^-^! So cutie and pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great, Lena! I'm seeing Hot Milk Cake everywhere and have to try it now! I like that you used muffin cups and peaches are excellent for it, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena , your hot milk cakes looks just deliciously good , the cream and peaches is the icing on the cake as we say down here . :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought - Delicious dessert burger! Love you heap the cream, and peaches is also a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena,
    I've made this cake twice. First time using the beater, and the cake was dense. The second time, using the whisk and the cake came out fluffy and soft. Did you use the beater or the whisk? The cake tasted delicious though. Your combination of peaches and cream looks yummy! And your little cakes looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so adorable and perfect for the tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww Lena absolutely lovely peachs and cream,!:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww Lena absolutely lovely peachs and cream,!:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ya, I agreed your earliear version looks much fluffier than this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They still look beautiful and delicious Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena , those cuties look fab and I'm quiet sure delicious despite whatever you think you didn't do to these cakes :D I always have a problem with cakes and after I tried a new recipe and it didn't look like the one from the cookbook , I had to ask myself , what did I do wrong ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have had hot milk cake before and it was amazing but haven't found a good recipe for it. Its crazy bc i remember someone from my church making it when I was growing up. It looks amazing and makes me smile

    ReplyDelete
  19. Had not bake a cake for quite some time, I will try for this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soooooo delicious. My daughter sure will love to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was looking for articles on best milk in India and I came across yours inspiring read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete