Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gingerbread Cake



I havent really been cooking and baking much this holidays season but i thought i wanted to make a spiced cake for this christmas week.... It always seem to me a spiced cake sounds kinda like a classic christmas flavour ..and so gingerbread cake comes to mind ...afterall i have not tried it myself.  I thought i have ground cloves in my house but none and i have substituted it with ground nutmeg, In fact many of the recipes i see online have both .


For a first attempt in making a gingerbread cake,  i would say i am happy with how the flavour turned out. I am not sure if most people would love a heavily or deeply spiced cake. In this recipe, the spices are not overpowering, we can still find the flavour with much presence here. Nicely moist cake too! Joy of Baking has included a lemon icing to go with the cake but i have opted to use a simple cream cheese icing cos that block of cream cheese has been sitting in my fridge for.. i dont know how long! Anyway, Merry Christmas to all !



Recipe ( from Joy of Baking )
makes one 8" cake
Ingredients
250gm all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp ground cloves ( i used ground nutmeg )
zest of 1 lemon ( omitted )
1tbsp finely chopped ginger or 1/4 finely chopped crystallised ginger ( optional)
115gm butter, slightly softened
120gm brown sugar
50gm white sugar ( omitted )
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 180C and place rack in center of oven. Line and butter a 8"by 8" baking pan.

In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves or nutmeg, lemon zest and grated ginger ( if using )

In the bowl of an electric mixer ( or with a hand mixer ), beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy ( takes abt 2-3 mins). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the molasses and beat to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the dry ingredients ( in 3 additions ) and milk ( in 2 additions ) alternately, begining and ending with the dry ingredients and beat just until incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wiring rack. Let cool completely before frosting the cake.( i baked mine for about 50mins in total, covering the top of the cake with foil after 30 mins )

Cream cheese icing
1 block /225 g cream cheese, at room teperature
1.5 to 2 cup of icing sugar
a little milk

Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together till smooth. Add milk by tablespoon until desired consistency for frosting.



I am submitting this post to Cook and Celebrate Christmas 2014 hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsDiana of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out



23 comments:

  1. Merry X' mas and happy new year 2015 ..

    我不曾吃过这个口味的蛋糕呢。有机会可要学起来。lena,谢谢你。

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect breakfast for X'mas morning :-))
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Lena.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect baked & yummy cake
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and moist cake HMmmmmm good .
    Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year , Lena , from my family to yours . ~Nee~~ ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look! Merry Christmas to you lena:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena
    I seen this recipe in FB recently too....wanted to get my hands on this gingerbread cake too but kind of lazy lately. Anyway, Merry Christmas and have an enjoyable holiday. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like carrot cake to me, may be I love carrot cake more, but I never try gingerbread cake before.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas, Lena! Your cake looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    This gingerbread cake with cream cheese icing looks yummy-licious ^-^!
    Merry Christmas to you & family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the cream cheese icing. Nice bake Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good choice Lena. Merry Christmas! Btw did you go to BBW?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm, thats something i havent baked this year but a spicy cake is always lovely for christmas... hope u had a gd one Lena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, Merry Christmas to you! Even though Christmas has passed but i think you still having a Christmas mood right? hehe..
    I love this cake with cream cheese topping, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. would LOVE a slice of this right now! Love gingerbread and love the frosting on top. Adds that extra special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so... good Lena and I can't think of anything more festive than gingerbread! Hope you had a lovely Christmas Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas:) Marion and I pretty much hung out at the shelter. It was wonderful!

    As is this Gingerbread Cake. It looks delicious:) I didn't like Gingerbread anything for the longest time and then all of a sudden one year, Whala! Tastes do change:) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Lena and thank you for being such a sweet blogging friend. I wish for you a most Healthy and Happy New Year with lots of adventures and many taaty goodies:) Louise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, it's me again.. Here's wishing you a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, sometimes simplicity is the best. I know how difficult it is to get the frosting THAT flat. This is one pretty cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena,

    Happy 2015 now!!! :p

    Sorry for my late visit as I was having a break.

    Nice gingerbread cake... Will take note of this lovely recipe because I have been baking ginger cakes for my aunties and I think that they will like this too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    Happy New Year!
    Your gingerbread cake looks awesome, so perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so love gingerbread. Guess I need to pin this for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year , Lena !!!! I know , I know I'm late so I don't expect any leftover :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year Lena!
    This cake looks delicious...fluffly with all the spices in it!
    Hope you are having a great week :)

    ReplyDelete