Thursday, December 11, 2014

Cranberry Orange Biscotti




Although biscottis are enjoyed all year round, i tend to associate them with Christmas. It gives me kind of festive feel, they are like christmas cookies to me! and so i was quite excited when Zoe has made her choice of baking biscottis for our bake along christmas theme. Our biscotti christmas theme will run up till Dec22, 2014, so if you have a biscotti recipe to share, come join me, Joyce and Zoe!


Originated from Italy, biscottis are 'twice baked cookies' meaning the dough is cooked twice till dry in order to have a longer shelf life. Initial baking is almost like in a flat log or cakeform and then after that, it is sliced into pieces for second baking which determines how dry and hard the biscottis are going to be. I have chosen to make mine with some dried cranberries which i also believe it is a popular ingredient in making biscottis, added some dried apricots( well, just for some colour ) and flaked almonds. This recipe also contains some orange zest and orange juice which i find it fabulous. It adds flavour to them ,refreshing flavour and you can already catch the aroma when you take them out from the oven! The only one thing i would do next time making these will be bake them a little longer more so that they stay more crunchier :D

after the 1st baking, slice and bake them again




Recipe ( adapted from laura in the kitchen )
makes just a dozen, recipe can easily be tripled
Ingredients
110gm all purpose/ plain flour
80gm sugar ( reduced )
1/4tsp salt
1/2tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract ( omitted )
zest of 1 orange
1/3 cup flaked almonds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 pieces of dried apricots, cut into small pieces ( i added this )
1.5 tbsp orange juice
1 egg, lightly beaten
1.5 tbsp vegetable oil

Directions
Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. In another separate small bowl, put in 1 tbsp of plain flour and mix in the orange zest so that the zest dont clump together. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment,  pour in the orange juice, egg and oil and mix to combine well. Add in the flour mixture and also the zest flour mixture. Mix well. Throw in the dried cranberries, almonds and also the dried apricots if using. Mix well . Do not over mix.

Remove from the bowl onto a floured surface . The dough will be quite sticky. Shape the dough into a log, about 12 inches in length and transfer it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Using your fingers or scrapper, pat the dough flat about 2 inches in width . Bake in a preheated oven at 177C for 25 minutes.

Let it cool down for a few minutes and using a serrated knife, slice them diagonally about 1/2inch thick. Arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 7minutes. Flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes until golden and lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.


get the InLinkz code

20 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful yummylicious with fruity in the biscotti. Love to try out this for a change from my usual almond flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, oh I've baked similar flavour biscotti too ! Every slice of your lovely Cranberry Orange Biscotti is so yummy ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Lena, I have never made biscotti, ever!!! I really should do something about that just look at the amazing variations and I'm sure there are lots more to come! Plus, I too asociate them with this time of year. I think it's because we always had biscotti at my grandmother's house:) Cranberry and orange are a perfect marriage. I'm sure yours are yummy!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Lena!!! And yes, the Sweet Potato Swirl Bread is on my to do list. Of course it may be a long long time before I get to it, lol...

      Have a wonderful holiday, Lena and don't forget to make lots of cherished memories:) Louise

      Delete
  4. Hi Lena,
    Your biscotti looks yummy! I baked my biscotti a little longer as I love eating really crispy biscotti.
    I've made a few variations as I rather enjoy eating biscotti, crunchy and great with a cup of tea of coffee. I like yours, with the dried apricots (my favourite) and dried cranberries, looks very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,

    I like your biscotti because orange and cranberry is always very delicious together.

    I know what you meant saying that you like to bake the biscotti longer for the second bake. I have baked mine for a longer time and some of my colleagues said that they are too hard for them but some said they like them crunchier!!! I think this preference is very subjective!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      I will be having a little break from blogging until Jan 2015 :D

      Merry Christmas and Happy 2015 to you and your family. Hope that you have fun partying :D

      Zoe

      Delete
  6. Lena, your biscotti sure looks pretty! I have never eaten a biscotti before :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, your photos are so well-taken! All the biscotti recipe hopping is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cranberry orange biscotti are the perfect flavours for Christmas and look very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This biscotti looks amazing! I love the cranberry orange combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like my biscotti with black coffee! SO nice to have homemade biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the combo of flavours in these Italian classic. They are so beautiful, Lenia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is perfect, Lena, a must try! I've never made biscotti and need to now after seeing this. Love your pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy Lena ! Nice seeing everyone busying making the X'mas cookies. Your biscotti looks wonderful with a cup of coffee or tea.
    Enjoy & have a lovely evening.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. i can't explain how delicious that looks especially alongside the coffee or tea. It looks crunchy and yet slightly chewy and just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really beautiful--and quite festive looking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena , I love the flavor combo of this biscotti and the color looks pretty festive ! It's perfect for dunking in my fave milky coffee :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy Biscotti and great clicks, Lena!

    ReplyDelete