Thursday, November 6, 2014

Chocolate Macarons


My decent macarons. Of course i would love to make something of lovely pink or purple..hmm..next time, i just stick with doing something simple first. I do not have much experience baking macarons, this is my second time doing it and even the first time i did was not entirely on full hands, here.



I followed the recipe very closely from Joy of Baking, only scaled down the recipe and watched the video as well. I must say that watching the video helps a lot especially the folding part and the beating of the meringue. But of course if you are an expert in making macarons, you dont hv to watch the video, you can even do it with one eye closed...hehe..

There were however 2 things that i did not follow thru the recipe . First is the duration of resting and drying the macarons. I have rested my macarons for about 1.5hrs  before baking them. I was still unsure whether should i waited a little more, they were still a little tacky. Secondly was the baking time. I have baked mine for almost 25mins as i find that they were still not properly baked yet at 15mins. I am glad, phew! that it turned out more than fine for me and surely there are still lots of room for improvement.  There are plenty videos to watch and troubleshooting tips on making macarons all over the internet, so do watch if you are still a newbie like me making macarons.


Recipefrom Joy Of Baking )
Ingredients
Macaron Shell
50gms ground almonds
85gm icing sugar
8gms cocoa powder
50gm aged egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
17gm castor sugar

Directions
Place the ground almonds, icing sugar and cocoa powder in the food processor and process till they are mixed together, about 30 secs. ( since the quantity i was using was rather little, i had used a mill to process it in 2 batches ). Then sift the mixture to remove any lumps.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or hand mixer)beat egg whites and cream of tartaron medium speed until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat on medium high speed until the meringue just hold stiff peaks( when you raise the whisk the meringue stands straight up, no drooping). Then in 3 additions, sift the ground almond mixture into the meringue.When folding, cut through the meringue and then fold up and over, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Once the almond mixture is completely folded into the meringue , it is time to pipe the macarons.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper and fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 1cm plain tip and pipe about 4cm rounds onto the parchment paper. Gently tap the baking sheet on the counter to break any air bubbles and let macarons sit at room temperature for about 30-60mins ( depending on the temperature and humidity of kitchen ) or until the tops of macarons are no longer tacky when lightly touched.

Preheat oven to 160C and bake the cookies about 14-16 minutes, rotating front to back halfway thru baking. They are done when they just barely separate from the parchment paper. ( i hv baked mine for about 25 mins in total and had reduced the temp slightly after 15mins ) Remove from oven and let macarons cool completely on the baking sheet placed on a wire rack. To assemble the macarons, take 2 cookies and sandwich them with chocolate ganache. It is better to let the macarons sit for a day or 2 in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Ganache
60gms bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
60ml whipping cream
3gm butter

Place the chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan until just boiling and pour over the chocolate pieces.Allow to stand for a few minutes.Stir gently until smooth. Let sit at room temperature until thickened and of piping consistency. Can make ahead.




So here i am posting French macarons together with Joyce and Zoe, our bake along theme and the linky will be opened up till Nov16, 2014.  Macarons, any flavour. Happy baking!


get the InLinkz code

24 comments:

  1. For being only your second time looks like you are a pro, these are hard to make. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    Your chocolate macarons look perfect!

    I have tried baking chocolate macarons with Italian meringue too but added too much cocoa powder and yielded slightly wrinkled macaron surface and so I have to practice my chocolate macaron baking further.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking macarons can be tricky at times. I can see that your macarons are so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, your macarons look very good! Are you sure you have attempted only twice? hee..hee.. You did it very well and they look like those in the magazines or shops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, few months ago I tried macarons with my girl ... flopped ... they cracked, no feet and flat :( Not sure if I should I try again ?!
    Your Chocolate Macarons are so perfectly baked. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you got both of your attempts right! I had to try like 5, 6 times before my first batch turned out decent. Now that I've stopped baking macarons for quite some time, I think I have returned all my skills... feel like making some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    Your macarons are perfect! Just like Zoe's, both your macarons are gorgeous! I still have a lot to improve on mine! Wanted to make a chocolate one, but with all the egg yolks (I did the macaron twice), thought I made them into lemon curd instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. some truly professional macarons you got there lena.. im not a fan of macarons but urs make me feel like sinking my teeth into it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, you are really good for a second try, nice and perfect macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, you've inspired me to try macarons again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so pretty! I haven't baked macarons in AGES...now I am really craving for a few now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena, now that I see your source...Joy of Baking, which I love and use many of their dessert recipes...I am willing to try these gorgeous and delicious light macarons. They are perfectly shaped, light as a 'feather' and so amazing! Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, for a newbie, your macarons look so good. I like the first picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... such beautiful macarons. And so is your pictures ! Well done Lena. Hope you're going to have a great week ahead.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo to you Lena! It looks to me like you've mastered the art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your macarons look lovely Lena. I give you a lot of credit for taking the time to really learn hoe to make them properly. I always get so impatient trying to learn new recipes. That's why I still haven't learned how to make a good bread, lol...

    I kinda like that your Macs are chocolate. That's the kind I would want to make. You can just save me one or two and I'll have them with my afternoon tea:) Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Lena, your macarons look perfect! Love the chocolate and chocolate macs...I am still too scared to try making macs...
    Thanks for the recipe...have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. if i could eat them all right this minute I would. Gosh my friend- they look out of this world incredible. the perfect exterior and the perfect moist inside. I love them

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look absolutely perfect. I have always been scared to try making them. Good tip on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,

    Saw your comment at Mel's post. You can buy the egg from Etsy. I bought mine from a Korean seller :D

    I want to tell you too that I have a giveaway for 4 lucky winners. Hope that you are a one of them :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  21. How nice. This looks like such an amazing treat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look delicious and being the first go at it, you did a great job. Gives me inspiration to try it! I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh no, these look so good!!! I have macaron envy!

    ReplyDelete