Monday, October 20, 2014

Prawn Masala Curry





The first time i tried this was probably more than a year ago and since then, i have been cooking this several times. This is simply delicious and good. Although there is a whole bunch of  ingredients needed, nevertheless it is easy to put together and cook. I have been wanting to try this masala curry with squids or sotong but i havent got to try it yet but i believe it is just as good. I hope those who loves curry will give this a try too.





Recipe ( from Nasi Lemak Lover, adapted from Love2Cook Malaysia )
Ingredients
600g medium prawns
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tomato, cubed
1tbsp tamarind juice
1 cup water, more or less
3/4 cup coconut milk
1tsp salt or to taste
2tsp sugar or to taste

Ingredients A
1/4tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2tsp cumin powder
1tbsp chilli powder
1.5tbsp curry powder
1tsp coriander powder
1tsp garam masala
a handful of curry leaves

Ingredients B
8 shallots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced
3 green small chillies ( optional)
2 red chilli ( optional )

Method
1. In a wok, dry toast ingredient A until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
2.Add some oil into the wok and fry ingredients B for 2 minutes . Remove from fire.
3. Grind A and B together using a food processor.
4. Deep fry prawns in a wok and set aside.
5. Pour some oil into the wok and saute onions till aromatic and add the grounded ingredients (no3 ). Keep stirring for a few minutes.
6.Add tomatoes, tamarind juice, coconut milk, water, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Let it boil for several minutes. Put in the fried prawns, mix well and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes till gravy slightly thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning or water if necessary.




26 comments:

  1. That's a long list of spices and ingredients! Bet the grave is even better than the prawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make curry all of this week! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just makes me drool eventhough I already had my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaa...my favorite seafood in there, I am so wishing I could taste it off the screen! I have all ingredients except the prawns and shallots:P got to pin this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, your Prawn Masala Curry looks really good! Though I am not a seafood fan, I would gladly eat your prawns with extra rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh la la ! I love big prawns ... so yummy-licious! I can just eat these prawns without rice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love curry and especially with prawns/shrimp and coconut milk!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, this is so well done! Delicious looking. My family love masala. We like to go Bar Bar Black Sheep located along Bukit Timah Road for their masala.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a simplified version of prawn masala some time ago! And I agree, simply delicious and good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo., I think I have most of the spices in my pantry. A must try for us!! Thanks Lena!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the flavor going on in this dish. So nice and rich and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Lena ! look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    I love prawns, and in a curry dish some more! Wow, this calls for two plates of rice! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, Lena!!! Wow! That dish looks so yummy, I wish I could tast it right now. Squid probably tastes just as good in this curry. Perhaps even better! Don't you love when you find a dish that you just want to keep on cooking, lol...

    Thanks so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes i love curry... i already feel so warm looking at this Lena.... how lucky if i can just have a couple of those prawns @_@

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Lena, I was down with cold so haven't been checking my blog until just now. I'm back to blogging for a while but won't be as active as before. This month is all because of the LTU, haha, just happen that I have a few pumpkin recipes to try mah. Your prawn dish has somehow reminded me of the dried curry prawns which I had with some sweet glutinous rice in my hometown. They looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, these prawns look delicious, I love all the flavors that you have in it...
    Thanks for sharing the recipe....hope you are having a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, I'm totally craving these amazing and super delicious prawns. The flavors are incredible with the spices of the garam masala, and the curry, combined with the the chilli powder, and the coconut milk really tones down the heat and gives such a smooth texture to the sauce...so different, and unique from any other prawn dishes. Beautiful presentation, as well! Pinned it, and Google+it...gotta share! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena....this is what WB loves! Thanks for sharing :) drools for the time being :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good Lena! My curry is such a lazy version--I'll bet this is really flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely have to go buy some prawns. This looks absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious , Lena ! The long list of ingredients is not a problem to me since I've got almost all on hand , it's the "I've gonna make it tomorrow er maybe the day after ..." attitude ugh ! It doesn't help that the weather here , finally , is really , really good for lazing around lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,
    I read your recipe just in the right time. a friend gave me some big prawns today. I must use them to cook this la! Thanks for the lovely recipe.
    mui

    ReplyDelete