Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Maple Nut Pie



This pie is for someone who has a really big sweet tooth and if your sweet tooth is aching right now, please make this pie immediately! LOL! If you think that this pie is loaded with sugar, it's not. The sweetness comes from the pure maple syrup, a 'natural sweetener' which claims to be healthier than ordinary sugar. Does this make you feeling better reading this? haha..

Anyway this pie is still a little more sweet for me even though i have reduced the amount of sugar there. I used just 2  tablespoons of it, i think no problem not putting it in at all. Despite it being a little too sweet, i wouldnt say it is not delicious especially with that gooey maple-y filling and pecans! I however did not add the chopped pecans into the filling but instead lay them on top of the pie. It is still nutty anyway. In the recipe instructions, it stated to boil the maple syrup to a reduced amount with a slightly thicker consistency. By boiling the syrup, it will intensify the flavour of the syrup.I was actually thinking not to boil the syrup but just used the reduced amount of syrup and mix in all the ingredients but i dared not take the risk thinking it again. I am afraid that my filling wont set as i see some other recipes that do not require boiling but with added eggs. You know, maple syrup is very expensive :) Now talking about maple syrup, this lady who sold me that bottle of maple syrup told me that a doctor told her by taking juice from half a lemon, add some water and a tablespoon of maple syrup every morning will help to whiten your skin. Wanna try? :D



Sorry for not dropping by your blogs lately ..have been tired and lazy too. This is bake along #69 and JoyceZoe  and myself are baking this Maple Nut Pie, the linky will be up from today till 10days. Next bake along will be making French Macarons. All are welcomed to join us. Happy Baking!



Recipe ( from Willams Sonoma Baking Book )
half of the original recipe, makes one 7 inch pie
Pastry Dough
200gm plain flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
63gm cold butter, cut into cubes
3tbsp ice water


Directions
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse 5-6  times until the mixture of texture of coarse meal with butter pieces n larger than small peas. Add 3 tbsps of water, pulsing once after each addition and adding just enough to make a crumbly dough, it will not hold together on its own but when gathered into ball with your hands. Add more water if necessary, 1 tbsp at a time.

Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface , roll into a ball and flatten into a disk with a few gentle taps of the rolling pin. Lift the dough and give it a quarter turn and roll out. Continue to turn and roll out to a wider circumference than your pan. Transfer the dough to the pie dish or tin, trim the edge of the dough round, leaving about 2cm overhang .Fold the overhang under itself and picnh it together to create a high edge on the pan's rim. Flute the edge decoratively and freeze the pie shell until firm, about 30 minutes. ( i did not freeze the pie shell ) Lay a foil paper and put in some pie weights or raw rice and partially bake the pie shell on a preheated oven at 190C for about 20minutes, Remove the beans and further bake for another 10 minutes until the shell is pale gold. Remove from oven. While the shell is baking, can proceed to make the filling.

Filling:
1 cup maple syrup
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2tbsp brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
90gms pecans, coarsely chopped ( i did not put this in, instead top the pie with the nut )

Directions
In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring the maple syrup to a boil and boil for about 4-5 minutes to reduce by about one fourth. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof bowl or measuring pitcher. The syrup should reduced to about 3/4 cup or a little less. If necessary, return to boil until the syrup is sufficiently reduced. Let cool down for a while before proceeding.

In a bowl, stir together the eggs, sugar, reduced maple syrup, salt, melted butter and vanilla until well mixed. Add the pecans and stir well. Pour into the the partially baked pie shell , making sure the pecans are evenly distributed. ( i top the shell with pecans instead ) Bake the pie until the center is slightly puffed and firm to touch, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove and let cool on the wiring rack.




get the InLinkz code

21 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,

    I have made my mini tarts with the full amount of pastry and half amount of the filing and the sweetness is spot-on for me :D

    Totally agree that the B graded maple syrup are expensive. I have managed bought one from a specialty shop but didn't want to use the whole bottle for making this tart. Xin Tong leh :p

    Must try your lemon juice + maple syrup remedy for whiter skin... The coming summer sun can be quite lethal to our skin these days :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecan pie...yum! I just cannot resist pecan pie...looks delicious Lena.
    Have a wonderful week ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, William Sonoma book recipes are really special, I remember their amazing Carrot Cake recipe that I made a while ago, that was so amazing. This recipe is a 'keeper'...you have done an amazing job on this pie. I would love to make it for Thanksgiving and you inspired me so much! Thanks for sharing...google + it...pinned it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Lena, this looks spectacular... very nice pie for the autumn...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks STUNNING, Lena. I totally love that top layer of pecans! Good job, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please!! I love how sweet this looks and sounds :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, just visited Zoe's mini tarts. Yours looks great and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, your pie looks good with the whole pecans topping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    I am very kiamsiap! Budget-lah! Used Lyle's golden syrup with maple flavour instead of the real maple syrup! I find this pie a little too sweet for me too, but in all, my family did enjoy it very much, with ice cream!
    Maple syrup + lemon juice, makes the skin whiter? A delicious and healthy way and maybe even cheaper that facial creams! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena , what a gorgeous pie , my pecam trees are full and these will be baked a lot , holidays and gift giving is coming and what better gift than a home bake pecan pie . thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love your version with the extra flavor of maple. My pecan pie does not have that maple flavor standing out and I am wishing it did. So going to try this next time- I always make pecan pie for thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shape of your pie crust, it looked so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks yum! and my tooth aches just thinking of the sweetness lol! But I know I would enjoy this pie as I do have a sweet tooth! But my tooth aches again thinking how expensive the ingredients are!:P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena

    Just like to confirm, is the amount of butter at 63 gm correct for the pie base?

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena!!!
    You lazy??? I don't think so, lol...Your pie sure does look so "professional" looking and of course delicious. I have never been able to find a Maple Nut Pie of any kind that just isn't too sweet to me. It isn't one of my favorite pies just for that reason. However, as you know, we are now in Fall, far, far, far away from Maple season, lol...but, for some reason Maple Nut Pie always makes me warm up to Fall just a little bit more:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...Have fun being "lazy..."

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an expensive pie using expensive ingredients which I have not used before. I do not have a sweet tooth but your bake pie sure looks tempting and seeing it makes me hungry at this hour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, your pecan pie looks so good, really nicely done...I would love to dig into a slice of this pie.
    Hope you are having a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This look delicious. Love the idea of using maple syrup instead of corn syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi lena. I love this pie. I agree w u not to use sugar coat it's quite sweet. Hmm I might give a try on the tips to whiten t skin.. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Lena, I would not think that this pie is too sweet. I crave something sweet each night with a cup of tea. I would enjoy this very much. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete