Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Taiwanese Spring Onion Pancake ( 葱油饼 )



Spring onion pancakes are one of the namely common and popular snacks that one can find around Taiwan night markets. Not just in taiwan, i understand that these pancakes all also very popular in China. These savoury pancakes make great snacks, they are of course obviously filled with spring or green onions, it is crispy outside and soft on the inside and a little chewy too. I have not tasted the real ones from Taiwan but to me, i would like them to be a little salty which i find it nice. One word of caution is that you may need to use a bit of oil to brush both sides of the pancakes during the cooking process to achieve that kind of crispiness, i find.






I did not put the exact amount of salt listed in the recipe, i took a pinch or two and sprinkle all over the dough . Roll them as thin as you can, reason being to cook them faster and also the results will be crispier. This recipe makes 4 small pancakes, if for any reason you cant finish them all at once, just keep in the fridge and reheat it in the oven for a few minutes.


Recipe ( with reference fr here )
makes 4 pieces
Ingredients
1 cup/ 125gm  plain flour
1/4 cup boiling water
40-50ml water ( you may not need to use all )
3/4 cup of chopped spring onions
some salt for sprinkling the dough
oil for frying

Directions
make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the boiling water and use a chopstick to stir . You will find lumps of soft dough. It is okay. Then add in the water slowly and using your hands, mix the flour with the water to form a dough. You may not need to pour in all the water. When a dough is formed, you can stop adding water. Knead the dough for around 10 mins till the dough is soft. Let it sit for 15 mins.

Lightly knead the dough again and divide the dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly dusted surface, roll each dough into round and thin.maybe around thickness about 2mm. Brush some oil onto the dough, spinkle some salt and chopped spring onions all over and roll them into up. Pull and stretch the dough and from one end, curl them up to the other end. Roll the dough flat again and as thin as possible. It's okay if bit of the dough breaks. Heat up some oil in the frying pan and on medium high heat, fry the pancake till it's lightly brown on one side. Brush some oil on the pancake top and flip over again for more crispiness. Continue flipping over the pancake till it is fully cooked. Using a spatula, press the pancake flat and fry till golden and you may also use a pair of chopsticks to scrunch the pancake towards the end of cooking. Repeat the steps for the rest of the remaining dough.
Serve immediately.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Taiwan ) Aug 2014 hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies



And also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe

24 comments:

  1. I love these pancakes too..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, these savoury pancakes look very nice. I love spring onions and I am sure I would love these pancakes. It is good that this is a small recipe. Four pancakes is just nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 这个脆脆香香的。好吃。

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these spring onion pancakes too. It looks really good and fragrant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, this is one of my favourite! Crispy and nice aroma from spring onions! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, this is one of my favourites Taiwanese food beside the Ru Rou Fan. Bookmarked. Tks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is how I make my spring onion pancakes. I love mine with some chilli garlic sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena, I've tasted the spring onion pancakes and 'za jiang mien' during the family holiday in Taiwan few years ago. Crispy 葱油饼 with hot soya bean milk 豆浆 very shiok !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so lovely and crispy! Would be such a great snack, especially in those cold countries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how you did this. It looks like the ultimate crispy flatbread type. The onions are the perfect addition

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena,

    You are totally right with the amount of oil need to cook these pancakes. I had been stingy with oil for my spring onion pancakes cooking and made the pancakes not so crispy! Ai ya!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sound of these, really sweet and I bet they taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    I love savoury snacks like this. Your pancakes looks yummy! Looks similar to paratha! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this 'roti'..... as I like spring onions. China ones are very oily to me. Yours is just nice..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this scallion pancakes...and I have not had this for a long time...yours look great Lena.
    Hope you are having a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, these pancakes are delish... Okie.. I shall eat some when I visit Taipei soon...^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena these are the second Taiwanese onion pancakes I have seen this month. They look so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't had this kind of pancake since two years ago ?! I love that it doesn't look oily compare to what I've made eons ago . I look at your pretty pancake and it says , Anne , make me , make me ! Darn lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I should try this out one day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like to eat this so much...everytime when I go to pasar malam, sure I will look for this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena,
    I noticed from your archives that you started this blog in Aug.,2010. So before August ends I like to say many thanks to the effort and time you spent on this blog. I am sure it has given lot of people many happy hours. May your blog enjoy many, many more successful years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi butterfingers, yeah, i am into my 4th year of blogging and forgotten that i started in the month of august! phew.....how time flies, enjoyable but can be quite tiring too. as i have been telling some friends, i am now trying to blog at a more leisure pace. Thanks so much for your warm and encouraging nice comment! made my day!

      Delete
  22. Gosh, love how the look of the crispy crust ! Slurp....
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  23. These pancakes look so delicious. I'll try soon this recipe.

    ReplyDelete