Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Japanese Potato Salad




Eating this reminds me of an egg sandwich , the taste quite resembles the egg fillings that we make for sandwiches and it brought some memories back to those days when i was in school selling egg sandwiches on school Canteen Day.  Those days even when i reached secondary,  i wasnt exposed to the kitchen at all and i didnt really know how to go about making egg sandwiches. Is that a hard boiled egg or fried egg that goes in ? i dont know, i was really lousy, very ignorant, not keen to know and learn too. I only know i enjoyed eating them a lot, i like the creaminess and i guess it was the mayonnaise thing. Just like this potato salad, it is creamy, it also has mashed egg that comes along with mashed potatoes and some other vegetables that give a good crunch. Some potatoes were left to small chunks to provide more texture and bites to the salad. I wouldnt say this is light salad , quite filling actually but yummy. If you like a little tanginess in the salad, i suggest you can add in a little bit of vinegar or chopped small onions to it.  At the same time, i have some wanton wrappers at home and made some wanton cups with the potato salad. The wanton skin stays crispy , i'm not sure how long will they stay crispy as this is my first time making it but after 2 hours , they were still very cripsy. Not a bad idea to serve it in wanton cups for a gathering, i guess...





Recipe ( from Just One Cookbook ) with some changes
Ingredients
2 russet potatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 small carrot
1 Japanese cucumber
1/2 cup corn kernels
2 ham slices ( omitted )
1/3 to 1/2 cup of japanese mayonnaise
Salt and ground black pepper

Directions
Peel the potatoes and cut them into around 1.5inch pieces, cut them all roughly about the same size so they cook at the same time. Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the potatoes on medium heat till they are tender. Remove and drain them on a colander.

Meanwhile prepare a boiled egg. Remove the shell and mash the egg in a small bowl . Leave aside. Mash the drained potatoes in a big bowl, leaving some chunks for texture. Sprinkle salt and let it cool . Cut the carrots into half and slice thinly. Peel the cucumbers ( leave some skin on to create patterns ) and slice them them. I hv cut them into cubes. Dice the ham slices. Boil the corn kernels ( i did boiled them ) for just a minute.

Add ham and all the veggies into the mashed potato bowl. Grind some pepper and mix well. Add mayonnaise and mix well. Lastly add in the mashed egg, dont over mix it and keep the salad cool in the fridge before serving.

For wanton cups
Grease a mini muffin pan with a little oil and brush a little oil on the edges of the wanton wrapper. Place the wanton wrappers on to the mini muffin pan and press them down to line the base and sides. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for about 7-8 minutes of till they are golden brown.





This post is linked to Little Thumbs Up ( Potatoes ) event organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite and hosted by Jasline of The Foodie Baker

30 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite Japanese food, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena
    I totally agreed with you..... it is so good to serve this potato salad in the wantan cups!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena!
    Oh how I adore Potato Salad! I LOVE it! It's so funny to hear about how you were not very experienced in those days past. I guess eventually we all get our chance in the kitchen, lol...

    This Potato Salad reminds me of Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad. I never knew what it was called until I moved to Pennsylvania but here most people make potato salad with hard boiled eggs in it. It's my favorite except I must be careful of too much cholesterol but in the Summer time, I eat as much as I want. Thank goodness it is very filling, lol...

    I love that there are added benefits in this potato salad and that you served them in wonton cups. Very cool:) Thanks for sharing, Lena...I sure wish I had a bowl of Potato Salad in front of me now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena,

    You are very clever serving your potato salad in crispy wantan cups :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm back after a long spell
    Just a stopover to say hello
    What's that very nice smell?
    It's your salad and butter rolls
    Dying to try a wanton cup or two
    And your nice butter rolls too
    Wishing you and all Happy Holiday
    May your wishes come true I pray

    All the best Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi dreamer, very nice to hear from you. it has been a long time. Thanks for the poem very much! i hope all is well with you and do drop by when you have time. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Lena, I love Japanese potato salad! At the restaurant they give so little with the bento or other set meals. I better make a big bowl in my kitchen hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lena, the 1st glance of your photo i thought it's Japanese potato salad in Kueh Pee Tee cups ! But it's wanton cups ! Yeah nice to have these as appetizer, yummy ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy with the different texture of crispy wanton! Great way to use up extra wanton skin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I intend to make this salad but too bad i have used the wantan skin to made potato curry dumpling, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a different and interesting potato salad! Perfect for summer BBQs!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of serving it in wanton cups, pretty and bet they taste as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, you are better than me, I wasn't exposed to the kitchen till I got married as banned from the kitchen since young. I like your idea of serving the potato salad in the wanton cup...crunch crunch crunch...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    Wow, love it that you served the potato salad in crispy wonton cups! Clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love potato salad. You came out with a truly brilliant idea of serving potato salad in crispy wonton cups. Perfect for parties . Well done Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  15. having these potato salad chilled is also wonderful... and having them in crispy wanton skin...yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We like eating potato salad a lot. Egg mayo is a fav too, I guess we all love the fat-fat mayo dressing :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. one of my fav Japanese salad. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love the use of the corn and the carrots. I have never done that before. I am curious what is the difference btw Japanese mayo and regular American mayo. Could I make Japanese mayo using other ingredients. The cute way you presented them in the cups is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, I saw your picture and my first thought was I like! Then I saw the pictures of the salad in little wonton cups, and impossible as it may sound, I like even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely a great idea to serve the potato salad in wonton cups :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love potato salad and this looks good! I'd eat a huge bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena,this potato salad looks so...so...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Japanese potato salad and yes, I too like to serve in wonton cups, I keep them crisp by laying a lettuce leave between the wonton and the potato salad...
    Have a great weekend Lena :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never even heard of Japanese potato salad but it looks fantastic! Love your serving presentation Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So creative of you to use t wanton wrappers.. Look so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't had potato salad for quiet sometime and this Japanese version sure looks delish ! Serving it in wonton cups sounds wonderful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. And this should be my favourite ! Yummm.... I can wallop at least 2 bowl of it.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this Lena, look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete