Thursday, July 17, 2014

Coffee Rice Flour Chiffon Cake


As i have said earlier in my previous post that i was quite keen to make a coffee chiffon cake, and so i did one. I had also tried out using the rice flour method which Kimmy had been using for few of her chiffon recipes. This is where a small portion of rice flour is used to make up of all the flours needed in the recipe, like in this case, 30% of the total flour. If you do not wish to use rice flour, then you can use all 100gm of cake flour as per original recipe. I do not have a comparison between using rice flour vs non rice flour for the same recipe but the chiffon that i made here using some rice flour is really good. Just like what everyone wanted in a chiffon cake, soft and fluffy. I seldom drink coffee but i enjoy them in bakes, just like durian where i hardly eat them fresh but enjoy eating a durian flavoured cakes. I can smell the coffee during the mixing and yes, the cake gives a very nice coffee flavour. Thank you Kimmy!

I was also in the mood to make something to dress up the cake a little bit and i did a coffee glaze. Sorry that i do not have the exact measurement of the glaze as i was testing and adding a little more this and that along the way. I started off by 2/3 cup of icing sugar, followed by a few tablespoon of strong instant coffee and add in some milk and coffee bit by bit till the taste and consistency that i want. The consistency is pourable but thicker than the consistency of condensed milk. It is just a very thin layer of glaze that i made, so it wasnt too sweet for me, quite nice. Oh, also bcos i made the glaze, i stored the a few more remaining pieces in the fridge on the late second day and the cake still remains soft after refrigeration though not as fluffy.


The response to our bake along chiffon cake theme has been overwhelming and sorry that i have not visited all the links yet but meanwhile, if you do have a chiffon cake recipe to share, do link it up with us . Thanks very much and happy baking!





Recipe ( from Cooking Pleasure )
in a 7 inch chiffon pan ( or 8 inch for mine)
Ingredients
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
50ml warm milk
4 egg yolks
4tbsp castor sugar
4tbsp corn oil
70gm cake flour, sifted
30gm rice flour, sifted

4 egg whites
4tbsp castor sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 170C/180C. Dissolve the coffee granules in the warm milk, set aside and let cool. Combine both the flours together. Using a hand whisk, beat the egg yolks and sugar till blended and slowly add in oil and whisk till well combined. Slowly drizzle in the coffee mixture and continue to whisk till well combined. Add in the sifted flour and mix till batter is smooth and well combined.

Whisk egg whites till foamy and gradually add in the sugar and whisk till soft medium peaks formed.( do not over beat ) Fold in 1/3 of the meringue to the egg yolk mixture till well combined and fold in the remaining meringue into the egg yolks batter. Pour batter into a 7 inch ungreased chiffon pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Invert baked cake immediately to cool before unmoulding from pan.




get the InLinkz code

34 comments:

  1. 原来是 chiffon 飘香之月oh!让我也做个来这里开 party。嘻嘻 。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, pls join in the party...hehe...2 more days before the party's over.. :D

      Delete
  2. a simple chiffon cake turned to be an elegant one with glaze.. looks too enticing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah another great Chiffon cake from you again Lena. Looks very nice..never had enough of Chiffon cake... This is very true... all time fav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum my fav coffee ... my hands are 'itchy' now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite kind of cake and my favourite beverage. I am wondering why I have never make coffee chiffon. Thanks for sharing this fragrance chiffon. Loved the way you dress it up Lena,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I am very tempted to bake another chiffon cake for the Bake Along but it is ending soon. But I will try one with coffee flavour after seeing how good your Coffee Chiffon looks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chiffon is suitable for the coffee addicts ! Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena,

    I'm also keen to try Kimmy's rice flour chiffon cake too but will probably bake it not for our bake-along. I have 3 submissions for our bake-along already... I think I need to do something for LTU potatoes :p

    I realise too that you like bakes with coffee in them... Your very coffee chiffon cake seems to be a must-have for a nice coffee break :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must try to bake chiffon cakes with rice flour too.....will also hop over to Kimmy's blog to have a peep ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its chiffon feast here ! Wish I can have each of your chiffon cakes....slurp....
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. With the coffee glaze on it, bet it taste so good, i know it is. Love coffee flavour cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    Using some amount of rice flour is pretty interesting, have seen some of our blogger friends used rice flour too. Will try it one of these days!
    I love eating bakes with coffee, and I could eat three pieces of your cake with a cup of Kopi-O!
    There are so many wonderful chiffon cakes shared by everyone. I really wanted to make another one, but did not manage to find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Lena , just yummy and delicious , always wanted to make a coffee chiffon cake and you made it so easy , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't drink coffee, but adore baked goods made with coffee..your chiffon cake looks super, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you would never know that this cake is made from rice flour. It has that wonderful look and texture of a cake made with All purpose. I love it. I am thinking I could do this GF but sub the cake flour with my homemade GF flour?? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jess, i'm not sure but i just googled and found that there are chiffon cakes thar are actually made GF, with rice flour and tapioca starch and here's one that uses all rice flour , quite amazing really. take a look at the link

      http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/community/dairy-gluten-free-lemon-chiffon-cake-recipe

      Delete
  16. oh yum yum...loved the idea of having glaze with the chiffon.. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent for coffee break! I wish I could have a slice from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love coffee and this had me drooling. Been wanting to try out rice flour for awhile!! Fabulous bake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely idea resulting in a lovely cake. Coffee and chiffon!!! Hmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rice flour is definitely a healthier option. The chiffon made of rice flour is still so finely textured!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! i love your simple yet full of coffee aroma chiffon, Lena.
    Anymore left?? one piece for me please :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ya, i have tried to link up my post before the deadline, hehe!
    Lena, Thanks for your help to link up my chiffon post .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena:)
    Coffee Chiffon Cake? Now, you're talking!!! I love that you went with the rice flour. I saw that in a couple of recipes and the notion of using rice flour is quite intriguing. Ever since I baked the chiffon cake for the Bake Along, Marion has been watching the list grow and grow. She now wants me to make one of each, lol...That's not happening but, I must say, I LOVE my coffee especially as an ingredient. I just may need to try this! Thank you so much for sharing, Lena and for hosting the Bake Along and "letting" us "play."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh,my God! This is absolutely amazing! The perfect way to enjoy my coffee!
    Kisses from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks amazing Lena, that icing is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have yet to try chiffon with rice flour, shall try it out soon. You have frosted this cake sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the idea of the coffee flavor in a chiffon cake!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice with rice flour Lena...looks delicious and nice crumb. Thanks for the recipe...enjoy your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really need to learn and experiment with chiffon cakes. Rice flour sounds like it makes it even lighter. I would have love to taste this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lena , this coffee chiffon cake will be first chiffon that is, if I can buy a chiffon pan :D All those chiffon cakes above are AMAZING ! I'm gonna check the Milo chiffon later !

    ReplyDelete
  31. I Want to join, today i just baked a chiffon, but too late, the link already closed :(

    http://petsleepingpig.blogspot.com/2014/07/strawberry-chiffon.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love a piece of your cake especially when it has an extra dose of coffee with the glaze!

    ReplyDelete