Thursday, July 24, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake




This is my first encounter with zucchini to bake a cake. I remember when i first heard of a zucchini cake, i thought it's rather strange...cos i tend to think they are like cucumbers..and so i thought cucumber in a cake? hehe...but actually do you know that there is really a cucumber cake....not many when i googled but there is. But later on after reading all the zucchini cakes that i come across, that perception slowly changed and reading mostly how good a zucchini cake is, i am now baking one. Also one common thing that i read is that they hardly can tell that there is zucchini in the cake. So i wasnt really expecting a 'zucchini-taste' cake but somehow this recipe exceeds my expectation. The cake is incredibly moist and has a wonderful rich chocolate flavour. I dont know how do the zucchini works here, they kind of like melted in... the crumbs are soft and some parts a little fudgy due to the chocolate chips in there, you wont be disappointed, just dont expect to see the zucchini in the cake. I have cut the whole cake and hardly can see one shred of it..and if you want to tell your friends that this is a vegetable cake, they might just think you are fooling them :D







I am baking this wonderful recipe with Joyce and Zoe and if you are interested to bake one, do link your post with us starting today up till aug02, 2014.

Recipe ( from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman )
makes in a 12 cup Bundt Pan
Ingredients
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch Process cocoa powder,
plus more for dusting pan
1/2 cup sour cream ( i used greek yogurt )
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanila extract
310gm all purpose flour/ cake flour
2.5tsp baking powder
1.5tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant espresso powder ( i used nescafe decaf )
170gm butter, softened
1 cup castor sugar ( reduced to 110gm)
1 cup brown sugar ( reduced to 75 gm )
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini ( squeezed excess water )
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup sliced almonds ( did not put )

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Grease the bundt pan and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, vanilla in a large glass measuring cup. Sift together the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder and whisk them in a medium bowl.
Combine the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.

With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture. Repeat , alternating flour and sour cream mixtures and ending with flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions. Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.


get the InLinkz code

18 comments:

  1. I've never baked a zucchini cake before. Your chocolate zucchini bundt cake looks moist and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena , 'WOW' what a lovely cake , can you pass a piece please ;- D thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, great looking cake! I want to bake one too for my daughter who hates vegetables:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, I have baked with zucchini before and it is truly unbelievable because you can't tell that it is in there. Love your cake! I feel like joining in too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lena!!! This is a fantastic choice! I can't detect any traces of zucchini in your cake too.

    I baked our bundt cakes into really really tiny and they are still so moist and yummy! We are loving it :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never baked a zucchini cake before. Maybe I should try it out, as Im just curious how it would taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, I did bake zucchini cake before some time back and loved it...yours looks so fine crumbed and got to be moist with all those zucchini ini there! Hope I can join in for this bake along, time really flies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena, I've never baked a zucchini cake before. Yours look sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have only taken carrot cake which is considered a vegetable cake.
    Your zucchini cake looks tempting, Lena. Cheers... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love zucchini cakes... It's amazingly so good and a good way to hide the greens and make the men eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's on my to-bake list , hopefully , I can bake it sometime :D It looks really good and I can't even see the zucchini in there , perfect for those who has a vegetable phobia lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    This is one delicious chocolaty cake. I can see some zucchini shreds in mine though. This is the second time I've baked with zucchini, the first is a muffin, and it turns out moist too. Zucchini used to be quite difficult to find, nowadays it can be found anywhere. Thanks for a fabulous choice, we really enjoyed this cake a lot! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess zucchini cake is like a carrot cake right.... the vegetable makes the cake extra moist! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena, wish I could bake-along with you all ... but I don't eat zucchini :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lena, I have made a zucchini cake before and it was so moist. I am going to try this recipe after seeing how yummy your cake is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake really attracted me, i must try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, this is fabulous cake. Nobody will believe that it has zucchini in it.
    I've just baked mine and going to link to Bake Along!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great--wonderful to have more things to do with zucchini! Have you seen this blog http://www.foodlibrarian.com/p/i-like-big-bundts.html ? There is (usually) a bundt cake roundup in Nov if you might be interested.

    ReplyDelete