Saturday, July 26, 2014

Alex Goh's Butter Rolls



As i was flipping through this book, The World of Bread by Alex Goh, i saw this rather unusual process of baking these rolls as compared to his other bread recipes. After mixing the ingredients to form a dough, it was let to rest for 15 minutes. Then from there, we make them into individual balls and put them into the freezer for another 30 minutes, after which we do the necessary shaping. Though unusual, i have no doubt about alex goh's recipes, especially his bread recipes. I believe that this book was one of his very early books , the recipes are simple and i think it is a good book especially for people who likes to start to learn making their own bread.



Shaping these rolls were not as easy as i would hv thought. Alex Goh has suggested to make them into cone shape, then flatten them before rolling them up. My first few ones were kind of horrible then got slightly better, far from perfect of course. I also tried another method for similar shapes but it was not that easy too. So if you have a better way of shaping them, just do it your own way. Though there was a bit struggle with shaping these rolls, the end result was satisfying. It was soft and light..wonderful! The recipe here has been scaled down and made around 12 rolls, if you want the full recipe, get the book :D

this is not a good sample, just want to show you so that you get an idea of the cone shape,
flatten and roll them long and roll them from the wider end. 



Recipe ( from The World of Bread by Alex Goh )
Ingredients A
300gm bread flour
1tsp instant yeast
35g sugar
1/2tsp salt
1 tsp milk powder ( omitted )

Ingredients B
1 egg, lightly beaten ( 1/2 for the dough and 1/2 for egg wash)
90ml cold milk ( increased to 120ml)
50 ml cold water


30gm butter

Method:
Mix the bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, milk powder in a mixer bowl. Using low speed on the mixer, then add in half of the beaten egg, cold milk and cold water to form a dough. Add in the butter and beat to form a smooth dough, about 10 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 40gm pieces and shape them into balls. Put them in the freezer for 30 minutes to become firm.  Shape into cone shape, then flatten the cone shape dough. Roll them up from the wider ends.Transfer them onto the baking tray and let it prove for 50 minutes. Brush with egg wash ( remaining half egg plus a little water ) then bake at 190C for about 10-12 minutes.

I am sharing this post to My Treasured Recipe #1 - Alex Goh ( June/July 2014 ) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


Also linking this post to Cook Your Books #14 hosted by Kitchen Flavours

20 comments:

  1. 我曾做过这个呢。奶香味。不错的面包。喜欢。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, I have come for your delicious butter rolls for my breakfast tomorrow...hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very soft and I am very sure they must have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena, I just had some kaya toast for breakfast ... don't mind to have some of your delicious butter rolls !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Alex Goh's bread recipes too! I haven't tried this one, though
    Looks so good, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of his earlier books on baking and it was very old school but effective and precise. These rolls look really soft and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. look at your roll!!!! i just wanna bite it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rolls look really soft and buttery. I can eat a few at one go ha ha.. I have this book too but have yet to bake anything from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena I love this butter rolls!!
    Look delicious!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really look light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your butter rolls look delicious! Oh I must have missed out this recipe, let me go check it out after I return from my holidays. Lena, Thanks for your submission to My Treasured Recipes once again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena!
    I know, you're probably sick of me saying this but, I really do want to bake my own bread one of these days, lol...I wouldn't have thought yu had problems shaping the rolls they look delicatwly delicious.

    There are so many ways of maing bread these days but I think for me, the old school way is probably best for beginning. I should look for this book:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...I sure wish I had one of those lovelies right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,

    You have shaped your butter rolls very well. They are like the professional ones served in the restaurants :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, I have this book but I haven't done anything yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rolls look really soft and delicious..hmm i am wondering what magic happened in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena,
    Your rolls looks perfect to me! And just look at that wonderful soft texture!
    I just love his recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, I was looking for a new soft, fluffly bread recipe to try. This one should be my choice now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, I baked this rolls. It's good. I didn't use your method to shape the rolls. I used the croissant way. Easier.

    ReplyDelete