Monday, May 19, 2014

Lemon Scented Pull Apart Bread


Incredibly delicious. Even when i first read the recipe, it already sounds delicious to me. Filled with sugar and lemon plus orange zest over a buttered bread and top with cream cheese icing. How's that? Only thing is that i was hoping that the dough recipe is a good one and seeing butter, milk and eggs there hmm.i think it shld be good as well...well, it did turned out to be good and soft , very nice. However, the dough is very sticky and i wouldnt recommend handknead, please use the machine unless you like messy hands messy jobs. I needed to add a couple more of tablespoon of flour to the sticky dough, it will still be a sticky dough in the end, less sticky..so try to adjust by adding the flour by tablespoon.

if your the dough slices got cramped at one end like mine here, then can take 2-3 slices out..to fit in nicely:)
gosh, i just realised i left some fingerprints marks on the bread when pulled those slices apart.
Pls pretend you dont see them, okay? 

This is my first time making this kind of pull apart bread and such fun and easy when all i have to do it is just pull the slices apart and eat. No need the knife..:D I really love the sugar and the zest flavours filling in the bread and also the cream cheese topping. I wld love to make this bread again perhaps using another more familiar or favourite bread recipe. Me together with Joyce and Zoe are baking these for our bake along this round and the linky will be opened from today up till may28, 2014. Everyone welcomed to join. Thanks!



Recipe ( adapted from leitesculinaria.com )
made in a 9"x5" loaf pan
Ingredients
For sweet dough
350gm all purpose flour ( i used bread flour )
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/3cup whole milk
2 oz unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

For the lemon filling
1/2 cup granulated sugar
zest from 2-3 lemons
zest from 1 orange
2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Cream cheese icing ( there will be leftovers )
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3cup confectioners' sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice ( i put 2 tbsp )

Directions
Make the sweet dough
Stir together 250gms of flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. In a saucepan, heat the butter and milk over low heat until butter is just melted. Remove from heat, add the water and set aside until warm ( i set aside for 10 mins until milk is lukewarm) . Add the vanilla.

Pour the milk over the flour-yeast mixture and using a rubber spatula, mix util the dry ingredients are moistened. Attach the bowl to the mixer and fit with the paddle attachment ( i used hook attachment ). With mixer on low speed, add eggs , one at a time, mixing just until incorporated adter each addition. Stop the mixer and add in the remaining flour and resume mixing on low speed for about 1 minute. Add more flour if needed as the dough is quite sticky ( i added about 4 more tbsp ) and mix till dough is smooth, soft and slightly sticky.

Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured surface and knead gently. Add a little flour by tbsp if the dough is unworkably sticky. Place the dough in a large bowl , cover and let it proof until double its size, about an hour.

Make the lemon filling
Mix together the sugar, lemon and orange zest and set aside.

Assemble  the coffee cake/bread
Gently deflate the dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 20inch by 12 inch rectangle. Using a pastry brush, spread the melted butter generously over the dough. Cut the dough crosswise into 5 strips, each about 12 inches by 4 inches. (can use a pizza cutter ) . Sprinkle 1.5tbsp of the zest sugar mixture over a buttered rectangle. Top with second rectangle and sprinkle with 1.5tbsp of zest-sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining dough rectangles and zest sugar mixture, ending with 5 rectangles. Work carefully when adding the zest filling or it will fall off when you have to lift the stacked pastry later.

Slice the stack crosswise through the 5 layers to creare 6 equal strips, each about 4inches by 2 inches. Fit these layered strips into the prepared greased and floured loaf pan side by side . Loosely cover the pan and let it rise until puffy and almost double is size, about 45minutes. Bake the bread in a preheated oven at 175C for 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in pan for 15 minutes.

Make the cream cheese icing
In a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula, vigorously mix the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk and lemon juice until mixture is creamy and smooth.

Remove the bread from the pan and let it sit on the wire rack. Slip a sheet of paper under the rack the catch any  drips from the icing. Using a pastry brush or pastry bag, glaze the bread with icing all over . ( Cover and refrigerate the leftover icing for another use, can keep up till 2 days )

To serve, pull apart the layers or you can cup the bread into thick slices. If you decide to cut, wait till bread is completely cool down before cutting.



get the InLinkz code

 I am also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event ( Milk ) organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Tze of AwayofMind Bakery House




26 comments:

  1. I hardly see you updating your blog these days. Blogging requires lots of time, if no time is really hard to cope with that. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. Eh, how come you call this bread whereas your bake-along buddies call this cake? I actually thought they do look more like bread than cake. Anyway, just a name of calling it, I love this recipe which calls for lemon & orange zest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice your fingerprints until you mentioned them lol! Just to show how soft and fluffy this bread is, I left mine naked without the cream cheese but still find it delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds luscious! The citrusy scent is already enticing me to move myself from the couch and straight into the kitchen now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena , Didn't notice the fingerprints , I think the prints mean made with love and what a delicious . Bread / cake ... it ends up being deliciously good . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,

    You are right that we don't need knife to slice this cake or bread :p Fingerprints on your cake? It must be a sticky delicious cake... That's why. We love this cake too!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, your bread looks good! I saw Joyce's with the icing flowing all over aiyooo!! Your's looks delicious too with the close-up shots. Not only your fingerprints, I can also see the orange zest. If only I can each into the screen and pull your bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, I love the texture of this bread! It looks so soft and fluffy! Bookmarked this recipe.

    by the way, my blog title should be Awayofmind Bakery House lah... Thanks for linkup with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena...this is what I like most....lemony scent..and I can see how fluffy and soft your pull apart bread is. Have KIV this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made something similar awhile back and i was on cloud 9 for awhile over it, so i know for sure this must be equally delicious :) The cream cheese icing makes it even more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena, your pull apart bread look very tempting and nice shots too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. See how you described the ingredients, I also beh tahan , can I have some right now, hehehe..have been busy for the last week, sorry for my late visit..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake turned out beautifully soft and fluffy, and my family agrees with you, incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    Fingerprint marks? I do not see any! haha! All I see is a gorgeous delicious bread! This bread is a total winner, it was so, so delicious and I especially love it with the lemony cream cheese icing, and I usually do not like icing on my bakes, this is one exception! Glad that everyone love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bread Lena. I can see it is very soft best of all it is has lemon it it. My favorite. I've been seeing this bread for sometimes now and always wanted to try it. Seeing yours today makes me want to bake it right away 'but' too lazy ha ha hopefully next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic! I baked similar bread with cinnamon, have to give this a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would be really fun for a brunch too--especially one with kids! Good tip on not hand-kneading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Lena, the bread looks fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you know sometimes I don;t want cinnamon and sugar with pull apart breads and this is such a great version with the lemon. I love that it is light and refreshing and sweet. I cant' wait to try it out for my grandmother who loves lemon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, yes, this is bread not cake. Taste like bread with a lovely citrus scent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena
    This scented bread sure to be very flavoursome. Ive never baked anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah , you had me on cream cheese *sigh* Are those your fingerprints ?! lol This pull apart looks pretty delicious , Lena !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for giving that type information.That information is so helpful to us.Will be visit again on your website.
    wholesale Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have only baked cinnamon flavoured pull apart before...next time I am going to try it with lemon. It must have been very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You knew that I can't resist anything yeasted ! haha...
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena,
    At first when I read the name coffee cake I am curious why is it a bread but named cake.
    So to clear my curiosity I baked this cake. After baking I do found it is a bread..lol
    Yours looks pretty, love the perfectly brown crust. I love this coffee cake/ bread too :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete