Friday, January 10, 2014

Typhoon Shelter Crabs ( 避風塘炒蟹 )


Typhoon shelter crabs is a famous crab dish served in many restaurants in Hong Kong, it is believed that this dish is originated from the typhoon shelters in HK, hence the name. Typhoon shelter is a shelter for fishing boats during typhoon and during those days, there were a large population of people living in typhoon shelters , many of whom were fishermen but over the years due to improper sewage and garbage collection system, many have moved to land. Shun Kee, one popular floating restaurant who now operates at the Causeway Bay Typhoon shelter is said to be the first authentic restaurant , after many years of obtaining an operating licence to have returned to that area. You can read more here.

sampan restaurant in Hkg :  picture from travel cnn.com
Not only this typhoon shelter crabs is a famous crab dish in many HK chinese restaurants, it seems like this is a must order dish whenever one dines at the floating restaurant. The first sight of this dish is the heap amount of crispy fried minced garlic all over the dish one can see ..and i should have even put more in my dish. I used 10 cloves, i think can double the amount here, then there are green onions, fermented black beans, chillis and some secret sauce maybe...hehe..One tip that i got from the source of recipe that shared by the chef is that soak the minced garlic in water and then dap them dry before frying, this will result the garlic to be very crispy. I tried and followed cos i hv never fried my garlic till this brown, it is indeed very crispy. So here it is, home cooked typhoon shelter hkg style crabs.

crispy fried garlic




Recipe ( with reference from here ) with changes
Ingredients
4 crabs, about 1 kg, cleaned and cut into pieces
10 cloves garlic, minced ( or more )
35gm ginger, minced
2 big red onions, sliced
6 sprigs spring onions, sectioned
3 dried red chilli, sectioned
1.5tbsp fermented black bean , roughly chopped
2 tbsp of shaoxing wine
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
salt 3/4tsp , or to taste
sugar 1heap tsp , or to taste
water 4 tbsp water
cornflour for dusting the crabs

Method:
1. Pour enough oil to fry the minced garlic, on medium high heat. When oil is hot enough, put in the minced garlic. You can test by dropping a few pieces of garlic, when it sizzles it is ready. Fry till they are golden brown and crispy , turn off heat and drain the minced garlic. Set aside.
2. Dust the crabs and deep fry the crabs in the earlier cooked oil in batches till cooked. Drain and remove to a plate, leaving some oil in the wok for sauteing the rest of the ingredients.
3.  Saute the ginger, red onions , dried chilli first and add in the fermented black beans and saute for another half a minute. Add the cooked crabs into the wok and stir. Pour in the 4 tbsp of water and continue stir frying.
4. Add salt and sugar to taste , followed by the spring onions and black pepper. Add in the shaoxing wine, half of the fried minced garlic, toss and remove from heat. Sprinkle the balance of the fried garlic over the dish.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Hkg and Macau ) hosted by Annie of Annielicious Food


33 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lena!

    Those are some good looking crabs you have there. I love learning about how they came about too. The beginnings of recipes are just so fascinating sometimes. Of course, I would love to nibble on your delicious looking crabs too, but alas, no crabs looking that good here in central PA:) I'll just dream about yours and be happy with my morning coffee, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...Your crabs sound yummy and your pictures are picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, this is so tempting and finger licking... I think I can just clean up the bottom plate as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you did a good job with the crabs.....I've never tried cooking crabs before :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, this is really yummy, i have a long didn't eat crab, looking yours, drooling....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,
    I want! I want! I love eating crabs and these looks so sedap! It's torturing, able to look, unable to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, I want to come to your house for dinner! I love crab but seldom cook it at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photo of these crabs is just beautiful, looks more like art than food Lena :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow you are really professional with this Lena! i'm awfully impressed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lena, can I pop by your house for dinner? The crabs look amazing!! I love garlic, this is definitely a crab dish I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting story that goes with the crabs. These look fantastic! Now I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my favorite crab...this is delicious...i love this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Look soooo appetising! Finger-licking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really delicious, Lena. Very nicely done! And thanks for the tips on how to get garlic really crispy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really enjoy this dish to come with generous amount of fried garlic.
    I also like rinsing the chopped garlic before frying, because that would prevent them sticking together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fiquei feliz em conhecer o seu blog, achei maravilhoso.Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am drooooooooooooling, Lena. Gosh...how I miss crabs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting story behind this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, that totally sold me. Now I just have to read up on how to clean crabs... Wonder if my local place does that. The flavours look amazing there and the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting and strange name for a dish. Looks so sedap, Lena. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delicious and i would like to book mark it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had this since forever :P Crabs are quiet steep nowadays *sigh* Your version looks FANTASTIC ! The photos speak for themselves :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yamee!! its a very delicious recipe. I love to eat this recipe. I read your all recipe carefuly all seems very delicious. I will try myself to prepare it at home. I think my children also may like those. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. so glad my husband is not looking over my shoulder right now bc he would make me go to the store right now and get some crabs! These look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have hopped in a couple of times already but have not commented because somehow got distracted at work and no chance to comment....but I am drooling everytime I saw your crab dish! Soooo yummylicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena, your crab dish look delicious...thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If I don't use any sugar its will be Delicious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why do you want to omit the sugar? it will be course taste a little different.

      Delete
  27. adoi Lena...akak suka letak garlic banyak2 dlm masakan...nampak crispy garlic tu terus cair saliva la...can imagine the taste..the smell wow...

    bagusnya mummy ni...rajin! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Lena, you're really good in cooking crab dishes!!!! Mouthwatering....I have bookmarked it, thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I heard this crab is very expensive when eating at HK, better cook by ourselves, but my place very hard to get fresh crabs..i am salivate looking at your yummy crabs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lena su comida luce perfecta me encanta la carne de cangrejo,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Lena,
    I have tried your recipe, it is delicious. I find it difficult to get good mud crabs nowadays. They come small, less than 800 grams each and their flesh is not firm. Is it the same at your place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for my very late reply. The crabs i got here are quite nice..i know the supplier :)

      Delete