Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Salted Egg Yolk Cookies



These cookies are rather unique for me. Well if you ask me whether do they really taste like salted egg, i will tell you no but there is this taste that i find it hard to describe, savoury kind , not really saltish but tasty and nice. Once in melts in the mouth, the unique saltishness lingers in my mouth that makes me want another piece. Yeah...one fellow in the house commented that it is actually quite addictive.


I have attempted making these cookies last year from another recipe but somehow it didnt turn out the way i like them, they were a little bit light for me, in terms of texture though they were tasty and i think i overbaked them too then. One of my girlfriends made the same cookies but she liked them. So i am very keen to make them again, almost a similar recipe , just small changes. They are still light but not as light as previously and funny thing is that, i find that the texture gets better after several days..a little more solid..i cant understand why but it's good. Crispy and almost melt in the mouth.


Recipe ( from We Dare Food ) with slight changes
original recipe and my half recipe in blue
250gm plain flour ( 125gm plain flour )
20gm corn flour ( 10gm corn flour )
1/4tsp baking powder ( 1/8tsp baking powder )
1/8tsp baking soda ( omitted )
4 cooked salted egg yolks , mashed ( i used 2  )
170gm butter, softened ( 85gm butter )
80gm sugar ( 40gm )
black and white sesame seeds ( optional )

glaze : 1 egg yolk

Method:
1. Sift together plain flour, corn flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and salt till sugar is dissolved.
3. Add in the mashed salted egg yolks and sifted flour, mix to a soft pliable dough (mine is not pliable, soft but manageable). If dough is too soft, wrap in cling film and keep in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
4. Line baking tray with baking paper and preheat oven to 170C
5. You can divide the dough into 2 and then keep one dough in the fridge while you are working on the other dough. Place the dough between 2 plastic sheets and roll out dough to 5mm thickness ( i rolled mine to 2-3mm as it will expand a little bit during baking ) and cut them using your desired cookie cutter. Apply glaze , sprinkle some sesame seeds and bake for about 15-20 mins ( The dough is quite soft and i have used a small spatula to lift them up to the baking tray and i baked mine for 16 mins.)


Here i am baking Chinese New Year cookies along with Joyce and zoe, the linky will be opened till Jan27. Please do check out other recipes shared by my other blogger friends in the linky below. Thanks.


get the InLinkz code

40 comments:

  1. Interesting use of egg yolks; would love to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love melt in the mouth type of cookies! First time I see salted egg yolks being used in cookies...I have tried one using egg yolks before and liked that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you described the taste of these cookies.....How I wish CNY doesn't come any sooner next week as I wanted to try baking other cookies like this salted egg yolk cookies too. Maybe I try after CNY. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so pretty and I bet yummy too!
    Kisses,dear Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, I haven't heard of salted egg yolk for cookies. It's so interesting. I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look amazing. I love the use of salted egg yolks in these cookies. Well done, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena your cookies are so beautifully shaped. What's next on your baking list?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so pretty, really interesting recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are so buttery and cute and salty. this is so interesting as I have never thought to use egg yolks in this way before

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should stop twiddling my thumbs and start baking cookies :P Salted egg yolk sounds interesting and delicious in these pretty cute cookies :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure one of these years, I will get my act together and bake in time for CNY. These just look SO delicious- and I love this savoury twist. egg yolk is good with anything I say!! yumo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    I have seen recipes for salted eggs, which I have only recently been introduced to. The thought of using them in a cookie recipe is quite intriguing. I would love to try one, Lena. Although, I imagine after tasting just one I would want more!!! They look delicately delicious:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, I find that most CNY cookies taste better after a few days. This sounds good, I may try it next year :) No more time to bake this yr.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite a lot salted yolks used in this recipe. I think I will love it, buttery soft cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a new cookie of the year for me, sounds really interesting. Wish i was living near enough to pop by your kitchen to try some :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena , what gorgeous cookies , love buttery cookies , I will surely make these . thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wanted to try baking this cookie but have yet to do so. Maybe when I am back in KL :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Salted egg yolk cookies? Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. the cookies looks pretty, it must taste yummy & rich.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is indeed a very unique cookies. So how does it taste - sweet or savoury?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is something new and special to me, sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, this is in my to bake list for long long time and I always wanna make it, hope I am able to achieve this year heeheehee..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena, although this Salted Egg Yolk Cookies sounds new to me but it look scrumptious!!
    Definitely is a keeper recipe, thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  24. If Hokkien people like me describe this cookie, I will say "Kiam Phang Kiam Phang, ching Ho Chiak ", Hahaha! ya, I do agree cookies taste better after kept for several days..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena,
    These cookies looks very buttery, crispy and golden pretty! I like the colour! I have always been curious about salted egg yolk in cookies, maybe I will try this, months after CNY, when all the CNY cookies are gone! And enjoy them with some Chinese tea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cookies look delicious Lena and so interesting with salted egg yolk. You always teach me something new!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesJanuary 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM

    Hi Lena, I baked this last year because of the unique ingredient in the recipe. I rremember it tasted better after the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very intriguing recipe ! Looks good though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am sure these cookies have a very unique flavour! Salted egg yolk would certainly go well in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lena, This salted egg yolk cookie sounds so yummy. Wish I can have few pieces now :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. First time I heard of using salted egg yolks to make cookies. Hmm, I have to scout around for salted egg yolks in Chinatown first :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Lena! I am catching up on my visits. I love salted egg yolks! Very unique cookie and I shall try this after CNY.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh yum...I would love these cookies! And they look very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. While I was drooling at the cookies I was actually admiring at the plates as well. There are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. divine! simply divine and creative and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Lena,

    I know that you will like these cookies... You like food that is both salty and sweet! These cookies reminds me of custard cookies but have more interesting flavours due to the presence of salted egg yolk. I love to try baking these cookies next year.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Chinese New Year to you & your family, Lena. It's been a while since my last visit. Have been busy travelling. Gosh, what a feast here ! Wish I can have some of each of them. Slurppp...
    Enjoy & have a fabulous CNY ! Btw, you working hard these coming CNY. :o)
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lena,
    This cookie is absolutely delicious! And it is also very delicate! Mine was so delicate that I dare not cut them. So they end up huge and odd shape. Thanks very much for the recipe and Gong Xi Fa Cai.
    P.S. Any advice for me on how to cut them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, gong xi fa cai to you too. I used a cookie cutter to cut them and also a small spatula to lift them up to transfer to the baking tin. what i did was separate the dough in 2 portions, one kept in the fridge while working on one.

      Delete
  39. I like your post very much , i like to read this article

    ReplyDelete