Thursday, January 16, 2014

Chinese Walnut Cookies ( 核桃酥 ) Hup Toh Soh



The walnut biscuits or Hup Toh Soh ( in Cantonese ) i have in mind is always the much bigger type in size and crunchier, the type that your grandmother and my grandmother like to eat, really an old time favourite. I seldom come across these little walnut cookies selling in those red cap containers during Chinese New Year, well i'm sure they have it here but i just dont see them as much as almond cookies. I cant remember when was the last time i had these cookies, not last year but i remember when i had them, they were just as tasty as the traditional ones..not as crunchy but still very fragrant.


The original recipe only makes 25, so i doubled the recipe and i got almost 60. It is easy to make and they taste wonderful . We do however have to toast the walnuts and mill them ( using the mill that comes with the blender set ) and mix that together with the flour. These cookies are fragrant, crunchy and with a little melt in the mouth texture. Depending on your taste, i feel that a pinch more of salt can be added to the recipe below just to give a little bit more hint of saltiness to these cookies.


Recipe ( from the book Traditional Koh Kui, Lap Mei and Cookies) with some changes
both the original recipe and my doubled recipe in blue
Ingredient A
75ml groundnut oil ( 150ml vegetable oil )
40gm icing sugar ( 80 gm icing sugar)
1/8 tsp salt ( 1/4 tsp salt )

Ingredient B
90gm plain flour ( 180gm rose flour/plain flour )
1/2 tsp baking soda ( 1 tsp baking soda )
1/2 tsp baking powder ( 1/2 tsp baking powder )
20-40gms walnuts ( 100gms walnuts , roasted and milled )

Glaze : one egg yolk

Method:
1. Combine oil, sugar and salt together using a hand whisk.
2. Sieve flour, baking soda and baking powder and add into the oil sugar mixture. Add in the milled walnuts and mix to a soft dough. (i find it easier to mix by hand)
3. Divide into small portions of 8 gms each, shape round and press lightly with a spoon.
4. Arrange on baking paper , glaze the surface and bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 15-20 minutes ( i baked mine for 17 mins ). Cool cookies, store in airtight containers.


I am baking along with Joyce and Zoe with our bake along theme : Chinese New Year Cookies. Do check out the below links which shared by our baking friends with their CNY cookies. The linky will be opened up till Jan27, 2014.

Also linking this post to Cook Your Books #8 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

get the InLinkz code

31 comments:

  1. Can deliver one bottle to my house before CNY, please. :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I'm thinking of baking Hup Toh Soh too... Bookmarked your recipe!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,
    I like traditional cookies like this. A cup of Chinese tea is great with these cookies. I have not made anymore cookies as yet, will do so very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena. You are right, both our recipes are pretty similar except for my addition of some butter. Yours are pretty too, maybe we should exchange some :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I just have to say, Lena, there are some amazing cookie recipes in this collection this year. Simply amazing!!!

    As for those cookies of yours, well, my goodness they sound incredible. I can just imagine the fragrance and crispy texture. I have the tea. Do you have the cookies???

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...It's always such a tasty visit when I pop by:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena,
    I have never attempt to make Hup Toh Soh before ~ ha...I bought one big pack when I was holidaying in Penang last Dec. I love this cookies with the added walnuts in there....that's called Hup Toh Soh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena , boy do these cookies look delicious , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am too thinking of baking these cookies. With the added walnuts certainly gives a wonderful flavour., much much better than the store-bought ones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw quite a few of this walnut cookies recently, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the first thing that came to my mind was, these are so neat.... very proper and neat.... thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cookies looks very traditional, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks yummy and crunchy, and similar to peanut cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm bookmarking! It's hubby's fav cookie so I might need that up my sleeve. Lol thanks Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look melt-in-mouth and irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, your cookies look so easy to make but yet very delectable! I'm sure my mum will love this. It's going to my to-bake list too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena, yours are the first CNY cookie I am really looking and thinking of baking. I don't do CNY bakes simply because I have too much corporate gifts to handle during holiday seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic bake, Lena. I stuck at your page for so long, because of all the very interesting bake in the link. Awesome event, Lena. I hope I can submit mine soon. Sigh! So busy lately. You have a nice day,

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love traditional treats like these. They look like such a fun treat, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine is with butter. I'll definitely try this using oil next time when I bake Hup Toh Soh,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena , I've seen more big ones than small ones here :D I love your small version more .

    ReplyDelete
  21. These cookies are just as lovely as the last ones you made! Makes me want to celebrate too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look perfectly melt in the mouth. I love walnuts and would love these cookies very much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. La mezcla de los ingredientes es un maridaje perfecto me encanta luce muy bonitas,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Hup Tou Soh. I didn't bake any since Mamarazzi has given me some baked by her ownself. I know this recipe certainly a keeper.

    Love those little cookies you had there..Nom Nom

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love Love this!!! This looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused by my carelessness in the previous submit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena, these walnut cookies look absolutely beautiful and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete