Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Chicken with DOM Benedictine



My mother always believes that drinking Benedictine ( DOM ) helps to boost her energy level. Just two or three sips before bedtime. How true DOM helps to promote good health, i dont know! But i know this France produced liquer is extremely popular among Chinese new mothers during their postnatal period which is believed that it helps to regain good health, vitality and warms the body. It can also be used for cooking as in some confinement dishes and soups.


I came upon a few recipes using DOM from a cookbook and apparently those dishes were cooked by some contestants during a cooking competition which they had to use DOM as part of the ingredient. This dish and recipe is originally named 'Old Fashioned Hakka Wine Chicken' and the ingredients used are quite similar to a steamed herbal chicken dish but it isnt a steamed dish. Mushroom, ginger and black fungus are first sauteed before adding the chicken and DOM and then it get simmered. I did made some changes to the recipe as i wanted more sauce and more DOM!


DOM is quite strong in its alcohol taste and a little sweet on its own but due to the fact that i added more water and a couple more tablespoons of DOM, it isnt that of an 'alcoholic' dish, i dont think you can get drunk, you can always do adjustments to your preference.

Recipe ( from Y3K cookbook 2007 March issue )
my modification in red
Ingredients
1 chicken, chopped into pieces ( 1/2 chicken, abt 700gms )
50gm old ginger, sliced
1 piece black wood fungus, soaked and shred thinly
2 mushrooms, soaked and sliced
5 red dates ( omitted )
2 tbsp medlar seeds/kei chi
3 tbsps sesame oil

Seasoning
3 tbsps DOM Benedictine ( 5 tablespoons )
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 tbsps of soy sauce ( my addition )
1/3 cup of water ( my addition )

some deep fried ginger shreds and chopped green onions for garnishing ( optional )

Method
1. Heat wok with sesame oil, saute old ginger slices, mushroom and black wood fungus shreds. ( you can scoop out some for garnishing later ) Add in chicken pieces and stir fry for 5 mins. You can add a little water if it's too dry to not burn the wok. Put in the red dates, medlar seeds and seasoning . Simmer on low heat for 20 mins till the chicken meat is cooked through. During the simmering process, you can check if more water or dom are needed.
2. Remove from heat and add in garnishing. Serve immediately.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers # 38 : Boozy-licious ( December 2013 ) hosted by Jasline of Foodie Baker


Also linking this post to Cook Your Books #7 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

22 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , Merry Christmas to you and your family , have a wonderful day and enjoy > Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mother ada add some DOM for some of the dishes during my postnatal confinement.
    Lama tak singgah sini.
    Rindu tengok your delicious cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas,dear!All the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read many articles about the herbal uses and remedies of Bénédictine, Lena. I've seen it used in cocktails but never in a recipe. How intriguing. I don't know what the components are of the liqueur. I think they may be "secret." This calls for a bit of investigation, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena. Oh how I would LOVE to taste that chicken! Merry Christmas to You and Yours! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, I like this alcohol dish, look so tempting. Bookmarked, thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Day Lena

    Wishing you and family A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR 2014.

    Blessings and peace
    Priscilla Poh
    Singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks priscilla. Nice to 'see' that you're still around here :) Merry CHristmas to you too!

      Delete
  7. Hi Lean, This is a healthy chicken dish and very good for the body.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena! Merry Christmas! Your boozy chicken dish looks delicious! Will have lots of energy after eating it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena , never thought that DOM is an herbal liqueur :D For sure your boozy chicken stew looks very appetizing !

    Wishing you a Merry Christmas ( again ?! ) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena, Love this DOM chicken dish. My mom used to cook for me something similar to this. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's something for my body and soul.... Good dish... Merry Christmas Lena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    Looks so delicious this boozy chicken dish of yours.
    Never try to cook with DOM. Love to try it in future.

    Wish you a Happy Holiday!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whenever we are back from an oversea trips we will always get our mom a bottle a DOM as she used it in her cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi friends, thx for dropping by..merry christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a nourishing and very delicious chicken dish, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this dish, got hooked on it during confinement :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena,
    During both my confinements, I dislike drinking DOM and told the confinement lady in a hush-hush way (away from the ears of my MIL!), to add in just a tiny amount in the cooking! LOL! I do not like the sweet taste of DOM then!
    This dish looks delicious though, the perfect confinement dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena! This dish looks interesting! I think I'm going to "steal" some of my mom's DOM to cook this dish... thank you for joining me in Aspiring Bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, I have 2 bottles of DOM 'aging' in my pantry. This lovely recipe will help me clear it as I don't drink DOM. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena, I tried this dish today. It's a tasty and appetising dish that goes well be steaming hot rice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. happy to know that, kimmy, thx!

    ReplyDelete