Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Chicken Shawarma



In each Asian Food Fest monthly event, it has made me aware and discover some of the country's own cuisine, many of which i have not heard of , just like the previous Baba Ghanoush, which i was not even aware of this popular dip until the event.  There are food which sound really delicious, there are also some i think i might not like it and also some i have heard of it but i just couldnt figure out what's the taste like. Just like this chicken shawarma, which i'm quite curious about the taste.. is one common and popular food in the middle east, lebanon and some mediterranean countries. It can be served in shavings on a plate or in a pita or bread , like a middle eastern sandwich. There are quite a number of recipes listed on the internet with variations and here i have chosen one that was made by my blogger friend, Chris from The Cafe Sucre Farine. Chris also made her own sauce that goes so well with the chicken and me a copycat, i threaded the chicken onto skewers too, just like Chris did :D


it's light, not heavily spiced..just the way i like it 

Recipe ( from The Cafe Sucre Farine )
Ingredients
300gm boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4tsp turmeric powder ( i added this )
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
chopped tomatoes, capsicum, cucumbers, olives, etc
grilled pita bread

Sauce
1/2 cup greek yogurt ( or a combination of yogurt and sour cream )
1.5tbsp tahini sauce
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tbsp lemon juice plus some zest
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp crushed coriander
1/8 tsp ground pepper

Method:
In a medium bowl, combine lmeon juice, curry powder, turmeric powder, olive oil, salt, cumin  and minced garlic. Add chicken , toss to coat and marinate for 3-4 hours. ( i did it overnight ). Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit for room temperature for 20 mins before grilling.

Set oven to broil function and grill the meat till cooked. ( i set mine at 200C using grill function for about 15mins , flipping them once). Alternatively, you can cook this on a
grill.

Directions for the sauce
In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Serve with chicken and pita. You can serve the leftover sauce as a dip for veggies .



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest : West Asia hosted by Shannon of Just as Delish

20 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , this a must have , family loves chicken and they will go wild over this recipe , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help laughing kindly, Lena. You sound like me when I'm going through cookbooks or visiting so many of the delicious food blogs out there. I want to try most everything at least once!

    I give you so much credit for finding a recipe that intrigues you and out of your normal range and going for it!!! I love Chris' blog but I don't remember seeing this delicious looking chicken. The sauce sounds absolutely amazing!!! I'm going to bookmark this recipe, I have bookmarked many of yours, but hopefully I will really make this one! Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena
    This must be very flavourful.....bet it taste very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh yum!!! i love this satay like dish... especially the use of the spices!! u just got me walking to the kitchen looking for food @_@

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last time I had chicken shawarma was in a pita bread wrap in a Lebanese restaurant. Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if I have tried Chicken Shawarma before but I think in most Middle east, or Mediterranean restaurants, they usually just call it kabobs/kebabs? So probably I have tried it once or at most twice? That is how often I have Middle Eastern cuisine - once in a blue moon, really :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. This 'satay' looks yummy and I'm admiring the last picture! Good clicks, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had chicken shawarma before...yours looks authentic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maravilhoso, o melhor de tudo são os temperos!...
    Um show de mistura de sabores.

    ♬♪ ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
    ♬♪ ⋯ ✰ ⋯
    ♬♪ ⋰ ⋮ ⋱


    O dia mais doce e luminoso do ano está se aproximando... que a esperança de fazer o bem ao próximo se renove em nossos corações a cada dia que falta!...
    Boa quinta-feira.
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil

    ♡♡⊱°•.¸

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena,

    Ai yo... you are not a copycake lah... You just like to follow Chris's way exactly :p

    This middle Eastern-style satay with lots of spices and lemon must be very fragrant and flavoursome :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look like chicken satay but no peanut gravy. The sauce look like humus. It must be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are not copy cats leh, just very clever at following instructions:P:P I just followed your instructions on making the pita bread too! WOuld be great to have some of your chicken to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, this chicken skewers looks great with that yoghurt sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, generally I think I like Middle Eastern food as they have lots of spices just like Malay and Indian food. Must try this Chicken Shawarma as I have lots of skewers leftover from making Kay Pachok from MFF-TGG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena,
    This looks very yummy! I can polish off half a dozen sticks, could be more! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've eaten this out, but never thought to make it. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well , the chicken chunks look really pretty in a skewer , right ? lol Yeah , loads of delicious and exotic recipes out there , but you know me :P :D

    ReplyDelete