Saturday, December 14, 2013

Baba Ghanoush - Roasted Eggplant Dip



Baba Ghanoush is a well known dip in the Middle East and some Mediterranean countries. It is often served as a mezze where there are a variety of other small dishes served along at the same time or a starter dish. Like hummus, it is a spread or dip to be eaten with pita or breads but instead of chickpeas used to make hummus, baba ghanoush is made from roasted eggplant or brinjal.  The eggplant are roasted or grilled till they are soft and smoky and i think that this wonderful smoky flavour is one charateristic that what makes baba ghanoush so good..that is if you like eggplants...



It is very easy to make, you dont have to use a food processor to make this, just allow some time for the eggplant to get roasted in the oven. This is not a big recipe, you can finish this off by 2 or 3 pita bread, also note that the eggplant will shrink to a lesser volume after cooked. You can tweak the recipe by adjusting the tahini and lemon juice as to your preference to this nutty, garlicky and smoky eggplant dip.


Recipe ( from food.com )
1 eggplant ( i used 3 medium size eggplant, approx 650gm )
1/4 cup tahini, plus more as needed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
1 pinch of cumin
salt to taste
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped flat leaves parsley
1/4 cup brine cured black olives, such as kalamata ( omitted )

Method ( from shiksa.com )
Prick some holes on the eggplant and cut the each eggplant into half lengthwise. Place the flatside of the sliced eggplant against an lightly oiled baking tray. Roast under broiler for about 30 mins until the skin of the eggplants are charred or black and the halves starting to collapse. Remove from oven. Let cool and scoop out the pulp and place it in a bowl
Alternatively, you can grill the eggplant on a top stove. Click on the link above.

Mash the eggplant with a fork. Add the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin and mix well. Season with salt, taste and see if more lemon juice is needed. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. With the back of a spoon, form a shallow well and drizzle in the olive oil. Sprinkle with parsley and place the olives around the sides . Serve immediately.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest : West Asia hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish




15 comments:

  1. Definitely my kind of dip! I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena!
    When I saw your Pita bread the other day, I wasn't sure you were going to share a recipe for Baba Ghanoush too. I am so glad that you did!!! I love the stuff and I love that you added a pinch of cumin. Some recipes I have seen omit it. I must bookmark this so I remember to make it real soon. Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love Baba Ghanoush but I've never made it myself. This looks fantastic and your photos are beautiful Lena!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena , never had this dip before , I know I will love it and thanks for posting it just in time for the holidays . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, I love eggplant and this dip looks yummy with pita bread, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never eaten eggplant cooked this way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, I have heard & seen so much of this eggplant dip from the magazines but never tried b4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, this is something I would love to try as I love eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,

    I love baba ghanoush but never have a chance to make my own because my meat eating husband and son didn't like it. Bugger!!!... hee hee

    Nevermind, I will imagine that I will be eating yours :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena,
    By looking at your ghanoush, I know that it is good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, I haven't made Baba Ghanoush in at least 2yrs...I also have it posted on my blog (I think)...I love your version so much better, and the photos tell the 'real story'...of how amazing it turned out. Love the texture and color of this awesome dip that is sooo popular in Israeli cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena
    This is great! Like Zoe, my hubby and 2 boys are meat eater and they won't like eggplant.
    I will imagine that I'm eating yours too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm..yums! Just like the hummus eh? what is tahini?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love eggplant but haven't tried it as a dip yet :P Baba ghanoush sounds really flavorful !

    ReplyDelete