Monday, November 4, 2013

Som Tum ( Thai Green Papaya Salad )




Kindly be informed that the submission procedure for the Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) has been changed. All entries need not to be sent to me via email, just link your entry to the linky tool provided at the bottom of this post.


Som Tum, as what the local Thais call it, is a salad made from shredded green papaya and is probably the most famous salad in Thailand. It was also voted as World's 50 best food by CNNGo in 2011. The main ingredient is of course obviously, unripe green papaya combined with other ingredients like tomatoes, beans and dried shrimps. The way of preparation is by pounding the ingredients lightly to release the flavours and the juices from the tomatoes by using the mortar and pestle. Well, i do own a mortar and a pestle and as you all know well, the mortar that we use here is of quite standard size, not big and is impossible to put in all the green papayas into it. Therefore, when the papaya was supposed to be added in, i transferred everything to a large bowl or basin and pound it lightly and mix them well in the bowl itself. If you do not own a mortar and a pestle, fret not!. There's a post here by SheSimmers that shows you can pound them in a ziplock bag, bash them with your rolling pin or something. Clever, eh?



I shredded my papaya using the shredder pic below. It makes the shredding job so much easier, i got them from a thai fair at my place many years ago when they were making mango salad and selling this shredderas well.  I'm not sure if they are available at the local stores here but i think they should have cos it is quite a common tool.


A really delicious crunchy salad bursting with flavours; tangy, spicy, a little sweet and a little salty.


Recipe ( from thaitable.com ) with slight changes
serves 2
Ingredients
1 clove garlic
2 chilli peppers/ bird's eye chilli
1 tbsp dried shrimps , soaked in warm water
6 green beans/french beans
5-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups shredded green papaya, more or less
2 tbsp lime juice, or to your liking
1.5 tbsp palm sugar, crushed
1.5tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp toasted peanuts

Method:
Using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic and chilli to a paste. Add in the dried shrimps and pound till they are slightly flatten or broken. Then put in the green beans and pound till they are slightly bruised. Add in the cherry tomatoes, pound a few times to get the juice out of the tomatoes and then half of the peanuts and pound till they are slightly broken into pieces.

Add in the lime juice, fish sauce and palm sugar and using the pestle, mix and further crushed the palm sugar into the mixture. Add in the shredded green papaya. ( at this point, i transfer everything to a big basin as my mortar is not able to accomodate the amount of the papaya ) Using a spoon or two forks,  mix the papaya thoroughly with the sauce till they are well combined. Remove and sprinkle some toasted peanuts on the salad upon serving.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand )- Nov Month  hosted by frozen wings

Also sharing this dish with Meatless Mondays organised by Chaya of Bizzy Bakes

27 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,

    Like achar, Thai green papaya salad is one of my fav salad... spicy sweet and tangy! The problem is it is quite difficult for me to get green papaya in Melbourne... their availability can be subjective to seasons :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never missed to order Som Tum at Thai restaurant, so additive !

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum... quite a bit of thai dish today.... i will start off with your salad, and then hop over to Zoe's for currayyyyy.... yoohoooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thai salad always look so refreshing! I like it with dried-shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spicy, sweet and sour taste of som tum. Mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this refreshing appetiser! I could eat a whole bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very refreshing papaya salad. I can finish off that whole plate by myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this kind of salad and this has made me mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very refreshing and light salad, it's so irresistible. I've never made this as I don't how how green a papaya I should get to make this dish. Should the papaya be very green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, shld be green and firm to touch

      Delete
  10. I like this salad. Refreshing and appertizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this healthy and appetizing salad. Reminds me of the only time i didn't finish this salad, the variation with little salted black crabs, i guess the taste for this has to be acquired :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    Wow, I could finish the whole bowl of this salad! Thought of making this too, but am too lazy with the shredding part, I hate to shred any veggies, but I love eating them! haha! I'll just come over and share that plate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very appetizing salad, Lena. Wish I could find green papaya here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena!

    This sure sounds like such a refreshing salad. I must admit I kinda like the thought of pounding everything rather than using a more "domestic" way of preparing the ingredients, lol...I've used that zip lock method many times before.

    I'm not to fond of Papaya but I would try this dish at least once to see how it tastes.

    Thanks so much for sharing, Lena...I'm luvin' all these Thai dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena , This dish looks so inviting and delicious , it is on my to do list soon , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm thrilled about this recipe Lena, I've been looking for a good papaya salad for a long time now. Yours not only looks good, it's BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, I love this papaya salad. It is very appetizing and I can eat a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, I just adore this colorful and delicious Thai Green Papaya Salad. We not only get plenty of papaya here, in S. Florida...but we also grow our own, as well. My daughter has about 3 or 4 papaya trees that they planted and I will be on the lookout for the green and firm papayas...I do want to make this healthy and yummy salad soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks like the best pasta ever and I love that you used the papaya with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    This green papaya salad is my favorite. Love the crunchy papaya and the sweet, spicy and tangy taste.
    Will link up a green mango salad soon:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! will be looking out for that ;)

      Delete
  21. Lena , this looks very refreshing and delicious ! Just love the flavor and texture :D By the way , where can I find the badge for Asian Food Fest ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, just above the linky up there

      Delete
  22. I have the same Thai zig zag peeler, you can get that pretty much everywhere. I got mine in Village Grocer. Wonder where I can find Green Papaya. Maybe I will make a sugar free version. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lena, this salad looks amazing. It is being featured at My Meatless Mondays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete