Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pandan Chicken ( Gai Hor Bai Toey )



Most of us are familiar with this dish i believe . It is a popular and classic Thai dish, the chicken pieces are marinated and wrapped with pandan leaves or screwpine leaves which gives a very fragrant aroma to the dish. They are usually done by deep frying them but here i'm posting a baked version, it is no less tasty than the deep fried version to me. Just ensure that the meat gets marinated well enough for several hours or overnight.




Making these only involves a little bit of work that is wrapping the chicken with pandan leaves.You can wrap in whatever way you find it easy as long as they chicken gets cooked at the end :D For my wrapping method here, you can refer to this youtube . It would be much easier to use wider pandan leaves if following this method, otherwise you can just wrap the chicken and secure it with toothpick. Makes a wonderful starter dish.

Recipe ( from Honey Bee Sweets, via My Kitchen Snippets )
Ingredients
300-400 boneless chicken thigh or chicken breast meat
1tbsp minced ginger
1tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1tbsp palm sugar, crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
pandan leaves/ screwpine leaves for wrapping ( soaked in hot water till soft )

Method :
1. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces , about 1.5 to 2" cube
2.In a large bowl, mix the chicken meat with the rest of the ingredients except for pandan leaves and leave it marinating for several hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven at 200C. Wrap the chicken in pandan leaves and bake for about 15-20 minutes till the meat is cooked and pandan leaves turn brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) November 2013 hosted by frozen wings


Also sharing this with Food on Friday - Finger Foods for Parties organised by Carole



25 comments:

  1. I am missing so much fun and yummy recipes?!!

    Having this blog fatigue thingy lately... I must push myself harder! Hope to post something for your event soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena!

    I have seen this dish before but I'm sorry to say I have never gotten to enjoy it in "real" life. If you would be so kind to save me some I'll jump right through my screen for just a teeny taste, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...the list of Thai food is quite impressive. I must do some visiting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to eat this, your bake version looks more healthy than the fry version! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been sometimes bookmarked this recipe. Love your baked version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dish, all time favorite. I use the same way of wrapping too which is the hardest part of the job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you just tempted me (very much) to make this.. i hv all the ingredients BUT the pandan leaves! grrrr... hate hate beijing! ... can only admire yours from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum yum....love this! Haven't eaten this in many years, and pandan leaf is so expensive in Australia, I can't bear to use them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena,
    Baked version sounds good! Maybe next time I'll try to bake them instead! Frying makes the pandan leaf turns all crispy and extremely fragrant, and I like that too! Maybe half fried, and half baked! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of mush have menu once i stepping in in a thai restaurant.....
    i can imagine how fragrance of the chicken, btw eversince i concern about my weight issue, i lobe to made the baked version too.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This chicken not only sounds delicious, it's beautiful too Lena, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exotic and delicious! Hopefully I can find some pandan leaves here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this before with the same recipe. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena , I would love to try this dish , so enticing , now to get some pandan leaves ... If I can't find them in my neck of the woods , what other leaves can I use . Love the bake version . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi nee, i'm afraid that no other leaves can used to subsitute the pandan leaves as these leaves has a very distinctive aroma and using some other leaves wont be the same. I've read that pandan leaves that comes in frozen can be found in some asian grocery stores overseas.

      Delete
  14. Lena Lena, you know me well, I like this dish. hahaha! This dish has been in my list for a while. The recipe that I want to try is originally a deep-fried version but I always want a baked version. My house is hosting a x'mas lunch this year & I want to do a Malaysian/South-East Asia theme & this is why I have been keeping the recipe for so long, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pandan chicken looking good :D
    Time for me to try again...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pandan chicken looks good! I love the aroma of pandan lingering on the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look Fabulous! Exotic and tasty. :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. waa...so many dishes already...I must try to cook something this weekend lol! Your pandan chicken is delicious but too much work for me leh:P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my...pandan chicken is one of favorite dish, yummyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena, I happen to love Asian cuisine, and mostly Thai foods. You have inspired me with your creative and delicious Thai chicken, and the yummy healthy salad from your previous post...I just happened to stumble on my recent book that has some amazing Asian, recipes, and now; I see a long list of 'tried and true' recipes that I'm going to check out.

    I love your pandan leaves wrapped chicken...too bad we can't get pandan leaves here in S. Florida (or maybe we can, I'll have to google it)

    I happily linked up...not even planning this, and will link back to you. So I guess November is the Asian month of recipes?...I'm so out of the 'loop' with everything...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i understand the difficulty of getting pandan leaves in overseas, most of the time i read from overseas bloggers, usually what they use is the frozen pandan leaves which normally can be found in most asian grocery stores.

      haha..not to worry about out of the loop..no, november is the not the month for asian food...It is just for Thailand.

      Delete
  21. Lena, this looks fabulous! And you perfected the knot. Well, even though pandan is hard to find in AUs too (at least the fresh version). At least I get to drool on your photos..,..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena! This dish is a hot favourite with kids at the Thai restaurant. Me too enjoy it and the fun is peeling off the pandan leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really must adapt this to Portuguese-style cooking: the aroma must be a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete