Monday, October 14, 2013

Tebasaki ( Japanese Fried Chicken )




This Tebasaki Chicken is a popular dish surrounding the areas of Nagoya, Japan...not that i have been there before and eaten it but it says so from various sources in the internet...so i guess it cant be wrong eh? heee...Tebasaki means chicken wings and it refers to the tip section of the chicken wings. They are seasoned deep fried chicken wings and coated with some glaze that is made up of soy sauce, sake and mirin.


I followed Marc's method of cooking these wings for a good crisp crunch and to stay so even after the glaze. The secret here is to deep fry them twice, first at a lower heat and then second time, a slightly higher heat. The wings must be very dry before tossing them with the flour and goes into the oil. Once they are cooked, increase the heat a little and put them back to deep fry them the second time, this will give them a distinctive nice crispy texture. Immediately toss them in the soy based glaze and it is done, Nagoya style .



Indeed they are nice and crispy and flavourful. I wished that my pictures here can do more justification that they are crispy.There were still a little glaze left and i used the remaining drummetes to finish it off on the second day. Delicious. Happy cooking!


Recipe ( from cooking with dog and No Recipes )
6 chicken wings ( i use 6 sections of the tip of the wings and 2 drumettes )
to season with :
1tsp sake
1tsp ginger juice
sprinkle of salt and pepper

2tbsp potato starch - coat for deep frying

Sauce/ Glaze
2 tbsp japanese soy sauce
2 tbsp sake
2 tbsp mirin
1tsp grated ginger
1tsp grated garlic
1/2 tsp vinegar
toasted sesame seeds
enough oil for deep frying

Method:
1. Season the chicken wings with sake, ginger juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
2. To make the glaze, put all the ingredients except vinegar and the toasted sesame seeds in a shallow pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add in the vinegar, stir and leave them aside to cool.
3. Remove the chicken from the fridge and pat them DRY with a paper or kitchen towel and toss them evenly with the potato flour.
4. Pour some oil in a heavy bottomed pan or a non stick pan , heat it up to 160C to deep fry the chicken. ( i did not use thermometer , once the oil is hot enough on medium high heat,  i put in the chicken to deep fry ) Fry the chicken till they are light golden brown,,  about 8 minutes. Can fry them in batches or all together. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
5. Increase the heat to 190C ( i increased the heat a little from earlier ) . Add the wings and deep fry for a further 2 minutes. Transfer the wings to the bowl of glaze and quickly toss to coat. Dont let them sit in the glaze for too long. Remove to a serving plate and sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #1( Oct 2013 ) : Japan hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies


30 comments:

  1. I don't think I have tried this Japanese flavor of fried chicken before. These fried chicken wings are absolutely finger-friendly delicious and perfect snack food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, I seldom cook Japanese dish at home, bcos i not the kaki of Japanese food, hehe!
    But your Tebasaki looks wonderful and makes me mouthwatering and it is definitely my children's favourite. Let me buy the ingredients and try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,

    I have not been to Japan. We were almost there but had to cancel our tickets because of the tsunami :( Lucky that we can taste all these delicious Jap food even though we are not in Japan.

    True enough a picture speaks a thousand words... but I find that you sounded funny that you need more justification to show that your fried chicken are crispy. I believe that your chicken is crispy and it true too that it is really difficult to illustrate crispness in photos :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken wings. My gf is from Nagoya, next time must check with her about this dish, hehe. Can "da bao" some home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chicken wings are making my mouth water! Looks so crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those chicken wings look so crisp and fingerlickingly good, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very flavourful and delicious looking chicken wings. Would love to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks really authentic.... just like those served in 居酒屋

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your photos already did justice to the chicken wings, they look crispy and oishii to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. MKS Foods is sell a best Biryani and North Indian Foods in Noida . You want to take a Home Delivery Food Services Biryani and North Indian Foods in Noida.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My oh my Lena, those are some mighty good looking wings. And they look pretty darn crispy too! Your pictures are stimulating my belly right now:) (it's growling, lol...

    I made chicken wings in the deep fryer once but I forgot to dry them. Oh my, that didn't work. I'd love to try agin with this recipe since I have all the ingredients.

    Thank you so much for sharing Lena. I can guarantee I won't need any Ranch dressing for dunking with these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, these wings look real crispy. Sounds easy enough to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    My favourite part of the chicken are the wings! These looks delicious, I would have no problem finishing the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena, I like the way you plate your chicken wings. Look very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my kids and I are huge wing fans--looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, six chicken wings is not enough for me hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cooked this before using just one cookbook recipe , Nami name this as Nagoya style of fried chicken wings , yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena , from the look of it , those chicken wings sure look really crispy and very , very delicious ! Perfectly-cooked as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. girl I am afraid you might turn this southern fried chicken loving girl into a Japanese fried chicken lover! It looks darn good

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is perfect finger food with beer! I don't think I have tried Japanese fried chicken. I wish I could try some.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been a while since I last fry chicken of any sort at home, this looks like a great recipe worth cleaning up the stove for:P pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks really good. I cant recall whether I tried this version of Japanese fried chicken before or not. I should try to make this too
    yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,
    Oh wow! This wings looks so crispy!
    Love it ..
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI Lena! Are you using frozen wings?!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Home Delivery Food Services in Noida

    MKS Foods is sold a best Biryani and North Indian Foods in Noida. You want to take a Home Delivery Food Services Biryani and North Indian Foods in Noida. So call us MKS Foods in Spice World Mall in Noida. 2nd Floor, Spice world Mall Sec- 25A, Noida, U.P. Email: chef@mksfoods.in Ph: 08588863153/08588863155

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi Lena, this chicken wings is finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is looking great, i love fried wings...make me fly...thanks for sharing lena

    ReplyDelete