Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mabo Dofu ( Mapo Tofu )




It is common to find Chinese Cuisine all over Japan nowadays. Most of these dishes are originated from China but the Japanese has somehow changed to suit the taste of the locals, often by using some of their own Japanese ingredients and are mainly prepared based on Chinese cuisine. These are called chuka dishes , Japanese style of Chinese Cuisine. One fine example is Ramen ( noodles ) which started as la mien in China and it is now much changed from the originality from China as we can see there is now miso flavoured ramen and shoyu based ramen. Gyoza, the japanese dumpling which is a very popular food in Japan and all around the world is also said to be originated from China what we called jiaozi in chinese.  While the Chinese make their jiaozi prepared boiled, steamed or pan fried, the most common and popular way of cooking Japanese gyoza is pan fried type which they are known as yaki-gyoza. What i am posting today is just another kind of chuka dishes which i think more known as 'mapo tofu', a dish originated from the Sichuan Province in China. I noticed that the mabo dofu in Japan doesnt look as red as the original Sichuan, guess they have toned down the spiciness level. You can use the plain version of doubanjian or the hot chilli version of doubanjiang here in the recipe.



Recipe ( Just One Cookbook )
serves 4
Ingredients
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
160 gms ground pork
1 package silken tofu
2 stalks green onions, sliced

Sauce
2.5 tbsp chilli bean paste ( doubanjiang with chilli  )
2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil ( omitted )

Thickening solution
1tsp corn flour
1/4 cup water

Method:
1. In a large pan or skillet, heat up oil on medium high heat, saute garlic and ginger till fragrant.
2. Add the meat and break up with a wooden spoon.
3. When the meat is cooked, add the sauce mixture. Stir to combine and add the tofu. Cook until tofu is heated through. Try not to mash the too much. Pour in the cornstarch solution ( i did not use all )
4. Stir in the green onions just before taking it off the heat.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #1 - Japan ( Oct 2013 ) hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies


Also linking it to Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake with the theme, " SOY"

23 comments:

  1. Mich, even if it's altered by the Japanese, this mabo tofu still looks delectable and yummilicious!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, this is so delicious with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena Lena!!! this is my favourite sichuan dish!! yours look absolutely gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 喜欢你的相片。当然更喜欢这道豆腐。like ~ like ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mapo tofu is almost everyone favourite and so am I. Yours looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tofu looks delicious and so appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Ma Po tofu looks yummy! I love to eat the sauce with a lot of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to order this mabo tofu when I have lunch in a chinese restaurant. Your mabo tofu looks so good there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena!
    When I first saw this title Lena, I thought it was going to be an oatmeal cereal dish we use to eat as kids in the US. It was called Maypo. The boy in the commercial use to say "I want my Maypo!"

    I never liked that cereal but I know for sure I would enjoy this dish. It sounds delicious! I never have enough Tofu recipes and now I have another to add to my list:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this Japanese version of mapo tofu, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, this looks just wonderful! So full of wonderful flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love mapo tofu! Very rice-friendly side dish - can eat lots of rice w/o even realizing it! :O

    ReplyDelete
  13. The difference of Japanese version is adding mirin and miso , I bet it taste as good as Chinese version.,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena , two words yummy and delicious , now off to find something to eat thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena,

    Your mabo dofu reminds me a lot of the Chinese iron chef Chen Kenichi !!! He is always cooking mabo dofu with all sort of theme ingredients... ha ha ha!!! Your one looks good... Can fight with Kenichi's always-winning mabo dofu :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Howdy Lena ! Gosh, my mouth is watering just by looking at the picture. I can just wallop all the tofu with white rice. Slurppp....
    Hope you're having a lovely evening dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena,
    This dish looks really delicious! I should really cooked this one day, up the spiciness!
    See you tomorrow, over at Thailand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of my favourite tofu dishes. I definitely would love a 2nd helping of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena,
    This dish sure looks delicious!
    I never know that there is a Japan version of mapo tofu . Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love tofu & this looks so appetizing! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This Japanized version of mapo tofu certainly looks fantastic ! The photos are awesome , Lena ;D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, this taste so good with white rice. I am feeling so hungry now!

    ReplyDelete