Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Creamy Miso Pasta



This is a Japanese inspired kind of pasta where miso paste is added. Although miso paste is rather salty on its own, this pasta dish is not as salty or miso-ey ( hehe) as what we imagine. The miso paste is added to a creamy base making it just a tad salty and flavourful, making it almost like a mystery ingredient that has been added in. It is tasty and easy to prepare, you can use chicken fillets instead of salmon and you can also add in asparagus as what Honey Bee did.



It is World Pasta Day on this Oct25 and i am sending this dish over to Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations where she is hosting a Pasta Party at her blog to celebrate the event and Louise is also giving away cookbooks! Woohoo! i will see if i can be one of those lucky winners..



Also linking this post to Little Thumbs Up Event organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY with the theme this month, " SOY" hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake





Recipe ( Honey Bee Sweets ) with some changes
serves 2 or 3
200gm fettucine or spaghetti
1 fillet of salmon
1/2 tbsp of olive oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 brown mushrooms, sliced or chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp miso paste
200ml dairy cream
Pepper and salt to taste

Method:
1. In a pan, pan fry the salmon with some olive oil till they are cooked. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Reserve a bowl of cooked pasta water. If you are using spaghetti, you may want to cook it later as we dont want the cooked pasta to sit on a bowl for too long. Reserve a bowl of cooked pasta water. When the fillet is cooked, removed to a plate , let cool for several minutes then flake the fillet, removing the skin and bones.
2. Using the same pan, saute the mushrooms till they are cooked. Pour the excess oil to a bowl and add the cream to the pan. Stir in the miso paste with a whisk and let it simmer for about 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally. Taste, and see if more miso or salt is needed.
3. Add the salmon flakes and toss in the pasta to the creamy miso sauce. If you find that the pasta is a little dry and sticks, pour in the reserved pasta water to loosen them before tossing them into the sauce. Divide the pasta into servings and sprinkle with some green onions.



31 comments:

  1. What a creative pasta recipe, Lena! Miso and spaghetti...I would have never thought of the combo. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I like your idea of cooking pasta with miso. This Italian-Jap fusion dish looks good.

    Sad that I can't you and Lousie in her pasta party. Due to my marathon and its recovery, I'm trying to cook less this month :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, your pasta look so sedap! I like miso and I think it gives the pasta sauce a special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miso and spaghetti? Indeed very special nevertheless I know the pasta must be flavourful with miso as part of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting combination! love to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never cooked pasta with creamy miso. Sounds like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the miso dressing so I can imagine this is yummy, friends , don't worry I have many Thai recipes, even I post some this month, still got new one to support you ..hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of this! I always have salmon in my freezer and need to start breaking it out in more creative ways!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is an easy to prepare pasta meal. Sounds great with miso added into the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena , love this dish and the miso makes it out of this world . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an interesting twist to the cream based pasta! Will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Lena,
    I have never tried using miso in pasta before, this looks and sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have never done miso and pasta together! I mean i feel like i keep saying this to you but its genius! I can;t wait to try it. I love the idea of the soft buttery pasta with the miso flavor. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks good.... do I have miso on my shelf.... will go search!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pasta looks so delicious. Creamy based pasta is alway the most popular one in my family. Will try one of these days, my kids sure love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is really creative, Lena. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, this is a fusion dish, never see this special pasta b4, very special!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lena, this pasta sounds and looks delicious, how come I never thought in adding miso to a creamy pasta sauce? Thank you so much for the inspiration...
    On another note...thank you so much for the kind words and all the support, I really appreciate...
    Hope you are having a fabulous week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Interesting combo & so appetizing! YUM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miso and pasta! Why not? That is very creative of you Lena. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am seriously curious about the flavour. I have all things on hand except button mushrooms. err.... shld i run out to buy that?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena,

    I'm beginning to worry now. I know for sure I was here the other day enjoying your Creamy Pasta Miso for the party. What I don't know is, where my comment is? Did I not leave one? Did it get lost. I think this has happened before. When I leave this comment I will watch where it goes.

    In the mean time, thank you again for joining the Pasta Party. Just in case you didn't get your number it is, #22. Woohoo, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is interesting. never thought of using miso in pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never try miso pasta before. Looks good and creamy....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, that's a unique combination and bet the pasta is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Miso paste? in pasta? I am curious! Especially when it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this is a very interesting marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Lena, this looks fantastic! I love everything about this! Such a fun combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like the sound of this, especially with the salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the miso-ey word lol This pasta has my name on it ! Love everything in there , so yummy !

    ReplyDelete