Monday, October 28, 2013

Almond Tuiles


Originally from France, tuiles are thin cookies that are shaped curved like roof tiles. They can also be formed into various shapes and used as a garnsih for desserts.  Okay, so you see mine are not curved....no..actually there are a few that i made them curve..heh..i was a little afraid that i might break them all into pieces. You see, prior to this i made a batch of chocolate tuiles from another recipe but they hardened very quickly when they were out from the oven and i had problem curving them..One tip that is being shared around is that when they get hard or crisp to shape,  put them back into the hot oven for a minute but i forgot! ..and on top of that, i underbaked them and thus they did not stay crispy as they should be.


I decided to move on to another recipe and made these almond tuiles instead. I started just baking a few pieces at the recommended oven temperature and they did not stay crispy too, therefore i adjusted it to 180C so if you are trying out this recipe, please test and decide, what doesnt work for me may work for you. What i get at 180C was nice crispy cookies and they are very addictive too! Feeling a little cowardly, i only curved 5 pieces, just 5 :)




On a related note, what i found out that these almond tuiles are actually very same as the Bienetta-Florentine Premix which i bought from a local bakery supplier shop here during early this year. I do see some of you have tried this premix, if you are wondering how's the taste of these almond tuiles, in my opinion, they are quite the same..or maybe they are the same thing. I am baking along with Joyce and Zoe and tuiles is the theme. The linky will be opened from today up till Nov06, 2013, everyone is welcomed to join. Cheers!

a few curved tuiles...



Recipe ( from Green Cilantro ), whom adapted from Pierre Herme
makes around 22, depending on the size you make them
Ingredients
50gm sugar
40gm egg white
few drops vanilla essence
125gm almond slices
1tbsp melted butter
10gm cake flour

Method:
1. Combine sugar, egg whites and vanilla essence in a large bowl and stir with a rubber spatula.
2. Add the almond slices into the bowl and mix gently
3. Add the melted butter into the mixture and stir to combine.
4. Cover and let this mixture at room temperature for 1 hour.
5. Sift the flour into the mixture, stir gently to incorporate fully and let the mixture sit for another 30 mins.
6. On a silpat or baking paper, spoon the almond mixture into a circle as thinly as you can, about 6cm in diameter. Bake for 12-15 mins at 160C ( i baked mine at 180C for about 11mins )



get the InLinkz code

33 comments:

  1. No doubt about it, these almond tuiles will definitely wow alot of people who tasted it. I think it is not easy to curve this but nevertheless you achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, this almond tuiles sound so good ~ like it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,

    Totally agree with you that getting curved tuiles is very challenging and timing is extremely critical with tulies baking. I managed to "score" 16 out 29. Just passed only - LOL!

    Your almond tuiles looks great! You must be happy munching these beauties!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and your arrange them nicely, just looks like flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,
    Making these with almonds flakes looks very extra crunchy and yummy! I had fun making these cookies. Seems like there are a few methods of making the batter before using, mine can be used straightaway, Zoe's needs refrigeration, and yours kept at room temperature for sometime before used! Interesting cookie! I might be making Dorie's recipe, the one I wanted to make initially, which Zoe made. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will curve as easily like the ones I made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum yum, I want to eat your crunchy tuiles! Lena, this is an addictive snack. Every time when I made these, it won't last for long, all sapu in 2-3 days, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aiyo, Almond is my fav. Should I join in the fun. Seeing yours so pretty, let's see whether I can accomplish my task today first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, These are my favourite, i love it so much that i can finish it all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are deliciously addictive....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, this almond tuiles/crisp looks so crunchy and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so thin, crispy and light so I wonder when I will stop munching if I get my hands on those...:p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Crispy and full of almond tuiles sounds fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've got za tea!!!! time for the crunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks nice, Lena! I want to try baking tuiles also but later lah....

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look perfect! And I love all those almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Curve or not or in any shapes, give me a bag of these and I'll gobble them up in no time at all. I love tuiles. Lena, this looks so crispy and I bet it smell so wangi also. Btw, Big Bad Wolf is coming.. are you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, your almond tuiles just look perfect and yummylicous :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena,
    They're so wonderfully baked.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena, I love how you made these yummy almond tuiles with sliced almonds, and created a whole new look...altogether! I can imagine the difficulty in baking and shaping them...such delicate but oh, so amazing dainty cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena, your almond tuiles look really good, nicely browned and evenly shaped. I tried making this during CNY and they didnt turn out really crispy, must try again next year with your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job! Better curls next time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know they are addictive; your lovely tuiles are persuading me to fix a problem with my oven soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gee, I'd love to munch on these tuiles.... can be very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Regardless of all the hiccups mentioned, yours turned out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can imagine the taste and crunch of your beautifully made tuiles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This look similar like one of the CNY cookies , the almond crisp .,

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooo....mind sending me a jar of these cookies pleaseeeeee......
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love anything with almond. Baked something similar before, but with ground almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummy almond tulies!
    Curve or no curve I don't mind. Let me help you finish them :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't remember if I've eaten this cookie or not :P For sure , your version looks pretty delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lena, These tulies are yummy, yummy, yummy. I made them last weekend and they were gone within 30 minutes! I'm making them again. this time I'll triple the quantity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi butterfingers, i'm glad to hear that. yes, it is very addictive!

      Delete
  32. Hi Lena, this is such a great cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete