Thursday, August 29, 2013

Rugelach


Some of you may have already know what rugelach is but for me,  first time. Baking rugelach is what Zoe has chosen for our theme and i'm here baking along with Joyce and Zoe . Thanks zoe, i  like these rugelachs. A quick defination of rugelach, it says that it is a pastry made with cream cheese or sour cream or both and is wrapped around a filling and baked. There are variations of fillings which can be made eg assorted nuts, raisins, cinnamon, jam or preserves. Traditional rugelachs are made into shapes of cresent like and about the size of a cookie.


Most of the recipes online more or less the same and i read from here that we can follow a simple ratio of 1:1:1 of flour, cream cheese and butter. So i started with a small recipe with 2 oz each to work with and i ended up with a couple of tablespoon more of flour to form the dough. As for the fillings, i used pecan, some sugar and some cocoa powder and some raspberry jam to spread on the base of the dough. I am not sure is rugelach supposed to be flaky, mine was not really flaky but more resembles shortcut pastry. I still find it very delicious.










Recipe ( with some reference from here )
Cream cheese 2 oz ( i used cream cheese spread )
Butter  2oz
Plain flour 2 oz ( plus additional 4-5 tbsp more to form a dough )
Sugar 1 tbsp
pinch of salt

Method :
1. Beat the butter and cream cheese with a paddle attachment in a mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and salt and continue beating until light.
2. On low speed, add in the flour till all combined and dough comes together. Transfer the dough onto a surface and shape into a ball. Flatten the ball and roll out to a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour. Meanwhile prepare the filling

Filling
1/4 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp raspberry jam

Mix the chopped nuts, sugar and cocoa powder and set aside.

Remove the dough from the fridge and let it thaw for several minutes. The dough must be firm and yet can be rolled without breaking. Roll the dough out to a big circle, spread the dough with the jam and sprinkle the nuts all over. Cut the dough into 12 wedges and roll up each wedge . Place the rolled cookies onto a baking pan lined with baking paper and fridge for 10 minutes.

Bake in a preheated oven at 177C for about 30 minutes until lightly brown. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.



22 comments:

  1. Oh Lena! I'm so proud of you! Look how delectable your Rugelach look. I would never even attempt such a feat, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    I'm happy that you like this theme! I'm also new to this pastry and can't stop being curious to try... We love our rugelach too! I like yours too being fruity, nutty and chocolatey all at the same time!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena,
    Your Rugelach are perfect! My dough was so soft and it was a nightmare shaping them! You have no problem with your dough! But I'm glad Zoe has chosen this theme, it was a challenge for me and these cookies are so delicious to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena, I also enjoy baking these rugelach and think they are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena
    I love how this rugelach are being made and cut into wedges and roll it up. It look beautiful in this way after baked. I will try to bake rugelach soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, your rugelachs look so cute! I first saw in Joyce's place and this is also my first time hearing about rugelach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to regulachs. I have been thinking what is it when I saw the name until I read further...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of regulach before. Definitely love to try this recipe one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great for holiday baking. Perfect filling, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comAugust 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

    Lena, this looks very yummy but haven't eat this before, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shots, Lena! Esp like the 2nd and 4th pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena , the Ragulah looks so yummy , I will have to try making it if and when I get brave enough . Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Lena, Your have a more simple rugelach recipe here! I love pecan nuts, so this must be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rugelach is so pretty! Love the way its wrapped up into a little crossiant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great results you got there Lena! Gonna make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look sweet and delicious even though I am not sure I know how to pronounce this word rugelach

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your rugelach looks lovely with yummy flavours too. It's been awhile since I've had rugelach . This will be another good reason to make some soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deadline is next week , Anne , please , don't be too lazy lol Lena , you had me at cream cheese *sigh* I haven't tried rugelach yet and I'm sure from the look of those treats , it must taste fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, Your Rugelach looks so pretty. i like your filling with pecan, jam and cocoa. must be delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanna to try this long long time ago but still don't have time for it yet. Will soon.>o< Yours looks perfect.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete