Thursday, August 15, 2013

Nigella's Banana Bread


I have been really slacking on blogging lately.. friends, please excuse me if i have not been dropping by your blogs lately and to many of you, i know i have always been a late comer to your blogs, i will try to catch up with all of you the best i can.

I made this bread couple of weeks back when i first knew that the 'star' featured for this month is Miss Nigella Lawson. After making this very good delicious bread, i went on and marked a few more of her recipes and i said i want to make this and this and that..but then it didnt happen..and i just wanted to rest. I have a few more posts for this month blog events and i hope i can just do it quickly before the end of the month. By the way, this bread is really worth trying, the texture is really nice and soft and the flavour is great..at times i find it hard to express how good something is, but i am pretty confident if you are making this, you will going to love it too. Happy baking.  



Recipe ( from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess ) with minor changes
makes 1 loaf in 9 x5 inch loaf pan, greased and lined with baking paper
100 gm golden raisins/ dried cranberries
75ml dark rum
175 gm plain flour/cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
125gm unsalted butter , melted
125gm sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
60gm chopped pecans/walnuts
1tsp vanilla extract

Method: 
1. Put the raisins/dried cranberries and rum in a small saucepan and bring to boil, remove from heat , cover and leave for an hour then drain.
2.Preheat oven to 170C . Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and combine well. In a large bowl, mix rhe melted butter and sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas. Then with a wooden spoon, stir in the nuts, drained cranberries and vanilla extract.
3. Add the flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, stirring well after each addition. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake in the middle oven for 1-11/4 hours or until a cake tester inserted in comes out clean. Leave in the pan on a rack to cool.

* I noticed that there is a slight difference comparing the above recipe from the book versus the one in the web here, the amount of flour and butter. For that, i have used the flour and butter amount as per in the web. 


Linking this post to Cook Like A Star organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, co hosting with Joyce of Kitchen Flavours and Anuja of Simple Baking



Also linking this to Cook Your Books #3 hosted by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours

30 comments:

  1. wow 。。。 This is nice cake ~ Like it too much。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,
    I have made this cake too, weeks ago, and never got round to post it! I totally agree, I really like this cake a lot, it really is very good. I actually wanted to bake it again this week, but unable to get local ripe bananas, the fruit-seller says no supply from Johor! Now that Raya is over, hopefully I can get it these few days, just craving to eat this again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, I can eat banana bread every day and still want more! Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good, love a bit of banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena!,

    You take your time and don't forget to breathe:) I, on the other hand, will be munching out on your Banana Bread in my dreams. It sounds so yummy!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries leng lui, me 2 always late ! LOL BTW Lovely banana cake & tasty too! How I wish I can have satu slice with my teh tarik now! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena, I agree with Louise , just breathe , like you , I'm a little bit slower now getting kids in school . Banana bread looks so yummy , I will bake it this weekend for a family treat . :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, I love banana bread. Already posted two on my blog, really don't mind to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah ... nice cake leh. Understand perfectly - me just as slacking in blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, lena!Eh, won a lucky draw from Ah Tze get excited or not, hahaha! Just kidding! I love your banana cake! In fact, I made one myself last night but using a different recipe. We can exchange later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena, me too, find so hard to keep up with blogging lol. I love banana cake, this looks moist and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena, Love your photos and of course the banana bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so moist and delicious! I also understand, sometimes just don't feel like cooking or baking for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena! I am one of ur many silent admirers. Love ur blog and esp ur pics. They are all look so yummy! Just wondering if i want to substitute rum, what would you suggest? Thank you- sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi sue, thanks very much for your kind words. The original recipe gives us the option to use rum or bourbon whiskey so you can use whiskey if you like. If you do not wish to incorporate alcohol, maybe you can try soaking the cranberries with orange juice, making it an orange banana bread. Another option that i can think of is just use milk, then dun hv to soak the raisins or cranberries.

      Delete
  15. Hi Lena, I love baking banana bread. Your pictures are good enough to describe how good it is, no need words:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena,banana bread is always irresistible!!! Your bread texture looks soft and yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this banana bread you bake!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love banana bread--really must try to do more of the cook like a start recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena , slacking ?! Me , too lol ..... I haven't baked banana bread since last year ugh! Glad that you've recommended this recipe , I'll try it sometime !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, this banana bread sounds fantastic - raisins, rum and banana - i cant wait to try, the orange juice idea sounds good too, i'm always game for a good banana bread recipe. Bookmarked this to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this too! Too busy to do a post about it...hope can be on time to submit:P Love the taste of this cake as much as the chocolate orange one:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Lena, this banana bread looks so good...love the texture of it...so moist.
    Have a wonderful week ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,

    I realise too that some of Nigella's recipes somehow "evolve"... This banana bread must be one of them. I'm guessing the one in her book might be the earlier version. You made yours with dried cranberries! Yum :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like fabulous banana bread, so moist and delicious Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am drooling,dear Lena!It must be irresistible!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena,
    Your banana bread looks really yum!!
    Oh!! you made yours with dried cranberries, i love dried cranberries!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  27. We like this food, and we like to invite you to upload your unusual delicious & unexplored recipe on Find best dishes at restaurants in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete