Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ipoh Kai See Hor Fun / Chicken Kway Teow Soup ( 鸡丝河粉)


When visiting Ipoh, one must not miss out on this noodles, it is always the top on the list whenever Ipoh food is mentioned and is no doubt the signature food in this town here. Over here, we call it by the local dialect, " Kai See Hor Fun" ( 鸡丝河粉). Hor fun is the flat thin noodles and to some of you, you may call them kway teow but the folks here call it hor fun. You will have no problem finding places that sell this kai see hor fun cos they are everywhere!  I think my friends will find it weird if they come to ipoh and me not taking them for a bowl of kai see hor fun cos it is just something not to be missed!

Making kai see hor fun at home is also not as complicated as you think. The only thing is that you will need to collect and accumulate the prawn head and shells and this takes time unless you buy a lot at one time. What makes a good kai see hor fun is the stock and to make a good stock for this noodles, you will need all these shells and the prawn oil . The rest can be easily obtained..so next time if you buy prawns, you can consider not throwing away the shells and also the heads if you do not eat them, save them for making stock. Also when you are making this, get the slimmer type of rice noodles and not the fat ones like in Wat Tan Hor. I am not too sure about other states in the country but here in ipoh, we are blessed to get this rice noodles sold that are really really smooth.


Of course besides kai see hor fun, Ipoh still has lots of nice food..we have salted chicken, bean sprouts and chicken , popiah, hor hee, fish ball noodles ..etc...come, come to ipoh! gosh, that makes me hungry now :D




Recipe
Chicken and Prawn Stock
2 chicken carcass
250 prawn heads and tails with shells
50gms anchovies( ikan bilis )
1.5cup oil
3 litres water
1tsp salt
1/2tsp ajinomoto

Method:
1. Put some water into a pot and bring to boil, put in the chicken carcass and lower the fire to simmering point to remove the scums of chicken carcass. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove, wash and set aside.Discard water.
2. Meanwhile, pour the oil into a wok and fry all the prawn shells, heads and tails. When they are well fried, remove and strain the oil. The oil will be reduced and this will be the prawn oil. Reserve the shells for stock.
3. In a big pot, pour in the 3 litres of water. Put in all the fried prawn shells, anchovies and the chicken carcasses and bring to boil. Lower the fire to medium low and let it simmer for an hour. Strain the stock and discard the chicken carcass, shells and anchovies. Add in the salt and ajinomoto. This will be the superior chicken and prawn stock.

I cooked quite a big quantity of stock to be served over 2 days. You can reduce the water to 2 litres if you wish, not a problem. Any remaining stock can be kept in freezer and then used for cooking seafood noodles, prawn noodles or porridge. 

Ingredients for noodles ( all these to be cooked in another pot of water )
Kway teow/ hor fun/ flat thin noodles
4-5 bunch of chives, scald in boiling water for 2 seconds and cut into sections
1 part of chicken breast/ 1 chicken thigh, deboned, cooked and cut into strips
small prawns, cooked in boiling water and split into half ( about 4 of halves or more per bowl, up to you )
soy sauce and white pepper

Method for assemble
1.  Cook the noodles in boiling water for a few seconds , drain and lift up to the serving bowl. Put in the chives, prawns and chicken strips followed by about 1 tsp of prawn oil.
2. Put about 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce and dash of pepper onto the noodles and pour in the soup. Do the same for the rest.


My friend, Esther of Fuss Free Chef who hails from Ipoh too also made Kai See Hor Fun few weeks ago, go over and have a look too here


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Perak Month ) hosted by Wendy of Table for 2 ..or more

31 comments:

  1. I have no doubt this is delicious as you even made your own stock for the noodle soup. Totally yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena , this is a must have , so yummy love all the ingredients , HMmmmm, any left . Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, your bowl of kai si hor fun make me feel so hungry. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, this is a must have whenever I go to Ipoh. It has been so long I have not go back to my kampung already. Your kai si hor fun looking so delicious....I still havent had my breakfast yet and it makes me so hungry looking at your delicious noodle,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Another old favourite, aunty used to have these delicious noodle when i was stay in Ipoh long time ago .
    Thanks for sharing ,love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I noticed u used quite a lot of oil to fry the prawn shells. May I know what can I do with the prawn oil? Tks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after frying, the oil has reduced to less than a cup. i dont know yet what i want to do with it, it can keep for some time, maybe drizzle some to kon loh mee or seafood noodles or use some for stir fries. Maybe you can reduce the oil and also reduce the amt of shells if you want to try..cos if you dont reduce the amt of shells, i'm afraid the oil wont be sufficient to fry the shells.

      Delete
  7. It's all in the stock and this one has chicken and prawn shells! I could probably drink most of the broth with the noodles. I haven't been to Ipoh for years and this has "memories" written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kai See Hor Fun yat wun, please! Yours looks delicious with generous toppings, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chicken and shrimp broth? Sounds delicious...such a comforting dish Lena.
    Have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh your Kai Si Hor Fun is making me drool. Looks so appetising and delicious! Made me miss home already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena, I want a bowl of Kai Si Hor Fun please! I love the colour of your chicken and shrimp broth, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good, just what I need right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't believe how excited I was when I saw the title of your post! I love Ipoh hor fun and haven't had a good one in ages! Looks so good and simple too, look forward to making this for the family. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena I love this noodles very much. We can get this in KL too (no doubt the best ones are still from Ipoh) and it's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comAugust 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

    My fav Lena. May I come over for lunch now?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena,
    This is my most favourite hor fun dish! Just eaten this today for lunch at coffee shop! Just love it! I love mine with lots of chives. Ipoh hor fun is definitely the best one around. Whenever I visit my sis, we never fail to eat the nga choy kai, even drooling just thinking about it!
    I don't mind eating this for two days!
    Will try to make this, one of these days!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely mouth-watering, droolicious, yummy bowl of Kai See Hor Fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 这个怡保鸡丝河粉是我的最爱。喜欢叫多一碟葱油芽菜来搭配。好好吃。

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh..the kai si hor fun (ipoh version) is very different from what i had in S'pore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops! I did not try this when I last visited Ipoh! But I did try the salted chicken and bean sprouts with chicken! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. A delicious and comforting light lunch! Love this type of soupy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena, I miss home now after seeing you "kai see hor fan!" Can share a bowl with me? I still have some chicken stock in my freezer, see when can make it, thanks for inspiring me with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh when can i try Lena's kai see hor fun? we always eat this whenever we are back :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lena, Lena,
    I am drooling just by reading and looking!!
    If one day i go to Ipoh can you please bring me to have all the yummies there :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  24. yum yum, my daughter's favourite noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is comfort food as its best ! Though I'm not fond of soupy noodles , I'll gladly slurp several bowls of your homemade noodle soup ;D It looks mouth-watering !

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks very much like the real thing.
    weirdly, this noodle don't taste good when taken away.. taste best eaten on the spot

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena.. can i ask about the rice noodle?
    where to buy? i'm a big fan of ipoh hor fun, but i have no idea where to buy the thin flat noodle. usually at fresh market..they sell the wide one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i also got mine at fresh market. Are you living in malaysia? you can ask the seller if they dont hv the wide ones..maybe they will know where to get the thin ones.

      Delete
    2. hihi.. thanks!
      anyway...i live in cyberjaya.
      today i already bought the thin rice noodle from pasar borong selangor. :)

      Delete