Thursday, July 4, 2013

Soy and Ginger Soba Noodles


I have only eaten soba noodles in a restaurant probably just 3 times and i have not tried cooking soba noodles before. Got to refer to the packet for cooking instructions but hey, all the instructions are in Japanese and i cant read. But i can see a numeric 7 on the front packet so i guess cooking time is 7 minutes and there's also a picture showing rinsing the noodles under the tap, so more or less i know it is to be  run over the water after boiling the noodles. Just to be assured that i am doing the correct thing, i surfed the net on how to cook soba noodles before doing it..:D cos i really dont know ..


I foresee that this dish will make its appearance on my table from time to time. It is well flavoured and yet light and easy. I still have some pumpkin tofu bought from an organic shop here, that would be a good addition i thik so i threw that in as well. Besides tofu, another popular choice would be salmon or you just have it even plain, i dont see any problem. How about char siew (bbq pork) ? do you think it's nice?

Just a note, after spending some time taking these photographs (  i think i spent around 20 mins ), i found that these portion of the noodles almost dried up, so i did put them back into the tossing bowl with the balance of the noodles and added a little more soy sauce and vinegar. So serve immediately after done with the cooking.



Recipe ( with some reference from here )
serves 3 
1 packet dried soba noodles, 200gm
1.5 tbsp ginger, peeled ,minced or grated
1 clove garlic, chopped
1.5 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
some chopped green/spring onions
6 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tbsp rice vinegar
pumpkin tofu/ordinary tofu , pan fried

Method: 
1. Cook the noodles as per packet instructions. Meanwhile, mix the ginger, garlic, spring onions, soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
2. When the noodles are cooked, drain them and transfer them into a big bowl. Add in the sesame seeds and tofu and spoon the sauce over. Divide to servings and serve immediately.


Linking this post to Little Thumbs Up Event organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of my little favourite DIY and hosted by Alvin of Chef and Sommelier with the theme ingredient, " GINGER"

29 comments:

  1. Hi Lena! Thanks for submitting this to LTU!

    20 minutes to snap the pictures? Wow... Are you publishing a cookbook or what? LOL!

    I love cold soba especially in our hot and humid weather. It's just so refreshing. Nami (Just one cookbook) has a good recipe which I use quite frequently for my weekday lunch. Check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. morning chef, i'm bad at taking photos la. Cant really find a nice spot in my house to take pictures..hehe..and this angle, that angle, susah!

      Delete
  2. I love soba! This is healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiyo, reminds me i still havent use the packet of soba i bought a few weeks ago! Tis sounds nice, must make this very soon for a light and healthy lunch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena,

    You are right that soba noodles are actually very easy to cook. Being stingy, we will usually avoid ordering soba noodles at Jap restaurant because they are so easy to cook and so costly to eat at Melbourne restaurants.

    Your soba noodles with ginger sesame vinaigrette sounds wonderful.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJuly 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

    Hi Lena,
    I haven't try soba noodles before. I think will give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, soba is cheap to cook at home. My daughter who used to order soba in Japanese restaurant now cooks her own soba at home and soba is now the only 'instant' noodle at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena nowadays I also dont order soba in the restaurant. RM25 for a plate... I can cook it for less than RM5 for 2 pax. Haha! Oh next time buy those Japanese soba noodles from Jusco, they usually have English translation on the packet too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love noodles but I have not try Soy and Ginger Soba Noodles. I think this Noodles is very healthy and delicious. So, I can not wait to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are still better at taking photos than me! Fast and quick- and cheap meal at home with soba and ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your noodles look delicious! I have not tried cooking Soba Noodles before, as I am not a fan of soba noodles, maybe because the restaurant that serves this did not cook it right when I ordered it last time! That was years ago, I should really give it a try again, after looking at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, this looks like a simple fuss free noodle dish. I have not tasted soba as yet. Must try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love soba, and your combination is really intriguing
    Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena , I've cooked soba noodles before but used a bottled sauce , I didn't really like it :P Will try your homemade sauce next time - it looks very appetizing and so easy to make as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi Lena ... never had soba noodles ... this looks so yummy it's a must try really soon . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This Soba Noodle is so simple and refreshing. Not oily at all. Good attempt.

    LENA,
    Can I replace buttermilk with yoghurt? This is for the next coming Bake Along event theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi angeline, can. You can also thin down the yogurt with a little bit of milk if you wish.

      Delete
  16. I cooked this exactly recipe b4!! Very easy and yummy with salmon and tofu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, this will make a healthy, light lunch, i like!

    ReplyDelete
  18. was Shirl at your place when you cook this? she mentioned that she cooked soba recently and asked me to try it. I would add char siew or siew yoke *wink* did you go back to buy siew yoke? kakkakka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. answer to your 1st quest: no.
      to your 2nd question: YES!! wahahaha!

      Delete
  19. Hi Lena,
    This is easy to make, I can make it for lunch, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, you just made my day! I've been wanting to make soba noodles...have one on my blog from last year, just not have any more recipes. Love soba noodles, and the combination of the soy and ginger is always my favorite. Will be making this soon...thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not sure I would have the patience to try and photograph these Soba noodles without wanting to dive right in, Lena.

    I must say, I did make them once for Marion and myself and they sure didn't looks so good. I must try again, I suppose:)

    Thank you so much for sharing and the pictures are scrumptious too:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the nutty flavors of soba! With such a simple dressing/sauce of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, green onions, the noodles can be very tasty!
    Back to cooking soba, I jolly well know I have to run the noodles in cold water after boiling/cooking but I have never done this step before. Too lazy...hahahaa. Lucky the noodles turn out ok, not starchy at all.

    ReplyDelete