Monday, July 8, 2013

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins


The book says these taste just like old fashioned doughnuts, i 'm not sure how does an old fashioned doughnut taste like..here from those days the only one type of doughnut i know is the very ordinary type of doughnut that is big round ring shaped one coated with sugar and to my chinese friends here, does anyone of you call doughnuts 牛车轮?  I used to call that when i was small and sometimes still do now.

We are not making ring shaped doughnuts today but in muffin form and these are baked doughnuts, a recipe picked by Joyce and am baking along with my other partner, Zoe. Oh, to those who have took part in our last bake along , the cottony cheesecake, thanks very much for your participation. As i still think i'm not good in baking a cheesecake, i am very delighted to see each of the entries in and learning as i go along with all of you.




I have made these doughnut muffins into minis as i have a mini muffin pan and have not been using that. The outside of these doughnuts are slightly crunchy when fresh and the inside is soft and i like them that they still nice the next day without reheating. I left some without any coating and filled them with some home made lemoncurd. The linky for this bake will be opened from today till July17, 2013 everyone's welcomed to join. Our theme for next bake along is Fruity Buckles. It is a dessert or a cake loaded with fruits and topped with streusels; blueberries, strawberries, peach..etc..your choice. Have a good week!




Recipe ( from the book, Back in the Day Bakery )
makes 24 mini muffins
187 gm all purpose flour (i used cake flour)
1/8 tsp baking soda
11/4 baking powder
1/4 fine sea salt
1tbsp buttermilk ( i used greek yogurt )
110ml whole milk/full cream milk
56gm unsalted butter, softened
60gm sugar
1 large egg

For doughnut coating
56gm unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon

Method:
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 177C. Grease and flour the muffin pans
Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt . In a medium bowl, combine the milk and the buttermilk or yogurt.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter for 2-3 mins using a handheld mixer on medium speed. Reduce to low and gradually add in the sugar. Continue to mix until mixture lighten in colour. Add the egg, beating until  just combined. Add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, flour, milk and flour mixing just until smooth , do not overmix.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling approx 2/3 . Bake for 20-25 minutes, ubtil the tops are firm and lightly golden. While the muffins are baking, prepare the melted butter in one bowl and the cinnamon sugar in another bowl. Let the doughnut cool completely on a wire rack, dunk them in the melted butter, then coat them with cinnamon sugar.




36 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I know what an "old fashioned" donut is either Lena. I'm sure I would recognize the taste if I could just have one mini though, lol...

    Yours look delectable and that is all that matters to me!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    I'm so glad you are getting the hang of cheesecake making. I personally think you did great but what do i really know. I haven't even tried...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena urs are so cute. I will try my version tonight. *keep my finger cross*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope to join in the fun this week. Love cinnamon and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe very much. My batch was gone in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you took the mini muffins on top of the tin! They certainly look healthier than the normal deep fried version and I will be keen to taste it with the lemon curd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena,

    I don't think that these doughnuts are old-fashioned at all. Yeah that you are right the old fashioned ones are fried. They don't have to be ring shaped as we usually eat them in the market being freshly fried, hot with strawberry jam oozing from their insides... Did you eat those when you visited Victoria market?

    I reckon these are the modern style ones... My husband still think that the fried ones are better :D Typically, I would prefer these. You know :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    Your cute doughnut muffins are so uniformly sized! I've just baked them and the post is up! Really last-minute, had to use my mini oven! :(
    These doughnut muffins are great when eaten with the cinnamon-sugar, I find that these are similar to the Dunkin Donuts and Big Apple Donuts, due to their cakey texture. These are wonderful but I would go for the fluffy fried ones if given a choice. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time fies! so fast another Bake Along lol! No time to join so many events! Hope I can catch up on this! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable. I made them and I must have left out an ingredient because, they were heavy and misshapen. I plan to make them again and hopefully, the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those mini doughnuts looks really cute and handy to eat. Hope manage to bake and try out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow。。。 look so good ! yummy ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena, these look really cute :) The texture looks soft and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seldom would eat them but only when having meals in this place with initial KR haha. Your mini muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, your mini muffins very cute. Can just pop, pop, pop into the mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Minis are so cute....they looked extremely irresitable:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena , old-fashioned donuts means deep-fried instead of baked :D Love both version though haven't eaten both since forever :P These donuts are too cute for words ! I'll try this recipe , hopefully .......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena! How many of those can you eat at one go? :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena , I gain weight by just looking at the pictures ... yummy . :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These mini muffins look awesome Lena...I sure would love to have a few of them, since they are mini :)
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, these minis look so tempting!! Aiya, i will have to make them soon. Love anything with sugar cinnamon combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also wanted to ask about fruit buckle. I'm so clueless about this theme. Or else I just type fruit buckle at Google and see what I can get. Isn't it? hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can google 'buckle dessert' to find out what is the defination of buckle. The fruits are mixed with the cake batter and usually comes with a streusel topping. Blueberry buckle is a popular type of buckle. You can google' blueberry buckle' and have a look. You can also try with other berries. Or you can type buckle recipes, you might be able to see other choices of fruits. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  22. Hi Lena,
    This is the third baked doughnut i have seen today.
    They sound more healthier then the deep fried ones!!
    I just baked mine with your version of recipe:D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  23. Howdy Lena dear! I have heard of this so often but till today...I still have yet tried it out. haha... Yours look so cute. I will try this out one of these days.
    Enjoy & have a great week ahead.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  24. these are my kids favorite favorite breakfast treat! I haven't made them in a while and now i need to:) My kids thank you ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I could devour a dozen of these mini muffins!Love them!
    Kisses,dear Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a grand idea, what a fun and delicious looking treat. I could never eat just one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, I prefer mini sized baked goods. These look mouthwatering coated with cinnamon sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  28. yum yum, perfect to go with a cup of Kopi O!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i'm going to bake these little cuties this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lena I love these mini doughtnuts look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so cute! perfect for portion control but I think I wont be able to resist popping all into my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those muffins are really cute. I mean I could swallow it in one piece and I believe I could have more than 5 of those! I’m not kidding coz’ they really look so tender and yummy. Thanks a million for sharing this awesome recipe! We surely will enjoy it! Ciao!


    My homepage | Online PhD UK Programs

    ReplyDelete