Friday, July 19, 2013

Durian Cottony Cake


I guess another name for this cottony cake is also called the Ogura Cake, which I find extremely popular especially among the circle of bloggers here in Malaysia and Singapore..and one of the reason why it is popular i think is because of the soft and light texture. Most of us living here, somehow do have soft spots for bread or cakes that is soft in texture, like chiffon cakes or fluffy breads. I have come across various flavours for ogura cakes in blogs and although durian is not my first choice, i want to try making this first to support my blogger friend, Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House who is hosting the Aspiring Bakers Challenge this month with the theme, Durians. The recipe here has been taken from Kimmy of Cooking Pleasure and if you are keen to make cottony cakes as well,  do visit Kimmy's blog for more ideas and inspiration. She has posted quite a number of cottony cakes in her blog.


I am always nervous when it comes to beating egg whites and the folding part. Here i have overbeat the egg whites, it has reached very stiff peaks and i must admit that i have some difficulty folding the egg whites into the rest of the batter. It actually took me quite a while to complete the folding part. Nevertheless, the cake did turned out to be soft and tender but it could have been much better if not of the overbeaten egg whites. I will need to be more careful next time and yes, i would like to try more ogura cakes in the future. Happy baking and happy weekend to all.



Recipe ( from Cooking Pleasure )
made in a 8' or 9 " square pan
5 egg yolks
1 egg
50ml corn oil
70ml milk
75gm cake flour, sifted
60-80 gm durian meat, mashed into smooth paste ( i used 100gm )
1/4tsp salt ( omitted )
5 egg whites
60gm sugar
1/4tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1.Line base of baking tin, grease and flour the sides of the pan. ( i used non stick pan, only line the base )
2.Preheat oven to 160C. Place a baking tray on the lowest rack and pour in water about 2 cups for steam bake.
3. Whisk egg yolks, egg then add in the oil and milk.  Add in the mashed durian meat and beat until well combined. Fold in sifted flour, stir until batter is smooth. Set aside.
4.Whisk egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar. Beat till soft peaks then add in sugar gradually and whisk till stiff peak. Do not overbeat egg whites otherwise it may be difficult to fold into the egg yolks mixture.
5. Fold 1/3 meringue into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the rest in 2 batches into the egg yolks mixture.Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Shake the pan lightly or tap the baking tin a few times on the countertop to release trapped air bubbles.
6. Place it on the middle rack ( over the tray which contains water ) for steam bake. Bake at 160C for 10 mins, then reduce to 150C for 55-60 mins.
7. Remove cake and invert cake immediately to cool for 3 mins ( otherwise the cake base will be moist due to the vapour from steam baking ). Remove from tin and paper linings and leave to cool on a wire rack with base of the cake facing upwards. The cake will shrink a little after cooling down.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #33 ( July 2013 ) Tropical Spiky Month hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House


39 comments:

  1. I'm just learning about all these Cottony Cakes from your side of the world and I must admit, I am delighted!

    One of the reasons I hesitate to attempt one is for the reasons that you mention, the egg whites. I've never had much luck with chiffon cakes and I fear I will do the same with recipes such as this. However, I also see that your cake turned out quite fluffy, so encouraging...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...Your cake looks heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, a durian version of this cake. I am already fascinated by the non durian version of this soft cotton like cake. But am totally in awe of a durian version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, glad you tried this cake. I agree beating the egg whites until the required consistency is very important. It's easier to fold with soft to stiff peaks. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo durian and cottony cheese cake - perfect combination :). I'd better try ths one before the durian season runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. friend, only durians, no cheese :D

      Delete
  5. Yeah, ogura cake has been a hit among the friends. Hmmm, how I wish I can try out this durian flavour of ogura cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a interesting flavor, i hope to try it out. Yours look good. You have a great weekend too, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wah !! Woman... I wanna bake this! Can I post on IG hahaha!! Help me Lena!! I'm in too deep, haha! Have a gret weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wa...i thinks your house must full of durian smell with the durian soft cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. same here Lena, i'm also always nervous when it comes to beat egg whites, fold in batter, especially when it uses melted butter, duh!
    your cake looks great to me, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really sounds delicious, will try this out. Have a good weekend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, the cake looks so fluffy and soft, and I can smell the durian fragrant from here hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see you added more durian..that will be exactly what I will do as well. It doesn't look like you have overbeat the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so fluffy!Love it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJuly 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

    Lena, this cake is so beautiful and yummy. How I wish I can bake like you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh!Durian ogura cake sounds delicious!!!Thumbs up for you,Lena ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena , beating egg whites is sometimes a pain in the behind - can't really make up my mind when to stop beating :P Over beaten egg whites aside , your Ogura cake looks wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cake didnt shrink even though eggwhites were overbeaten..looks really fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't put durian in any cake, my family will not eat them. They still prefer to eat it raw..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you say durian, Lena. Oh my..give me your address..quick..i'm coming over!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    You've made the ogura cake! It is still on my list, queuing up! Haha!
    Yours look very soft and fluffy, perfect!
    I don't mind coming over too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice, Lena! I can't bake this cake because some people in my house get dizzy when they smell durian hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So spongy and soft! Durian must have given this sponge cake some extra flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks really beautiful and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Lena, I've never heard of this but it sounds wonderful and your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena,

    You have made your durian Xiangsi cake very well. Brilliant! I struggled for a few bakes before getting the technique right.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Lena, your Durian cottony cake is very moist and fluffy. BTW, I've link my Durianm crepe to Mimi already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ogura cake that time I took quite a long time to bake... But worth it is definitely worth for waiting.

      Delete
  28. Thanks for your lovely post!! I baked 1 this afternoon.... =)
    Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kitchen must be smelling good when you made this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, I tried this recipe and baked the cake. It looks ok until a point after 30 mins, the cake just collapsed. any idea what has gone wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, i supposed you didnt open the oven door during baking. I am not sure as to why your cake collapsed during baking . Making ogura cakes is quite tricky as i am also trying to perfect my ogura cakes. Few things that im keeping notes abt making ogura cakes is the first step when whisking the eggs and other liquid, should whisk till a little pale before adding the flour. As far as i am learning now, egg whites shld be beaten till soft firm peaks meaning they are soft and yet not fall over when you turn the bowl over. Slowly fold in properly, make sure all are well combined, chk the bottom of the pan too while folding to ensure all properly mixed. The batter after folding in should be very light. last thing is the oven temperature. Hard to advise on the oven temperature but do the above steps correctly and see if you encounter the same problem...

      Delete
  31. Ah, found it - missed the italics.

    ReplyDelete