Friday, July 12, 2013

Crabs with Ginger and Onions



Occasionally, i do get specially reserved crabs given to me by my father..and most of the time what i do with them is to cook them Sour and Spicy like in here..that's because i like the gravy so much. When i was small, i remember whenever my mum cooked spicy crabs , we will get a loaf of bread to mop the gravy to polish the plate clean. Since the theme ingredient for this month's Little Thumbs Up is ginger, i decided to cook them with ginger and spring onions. It was an impromptu dish i would say as i will usually cook them the spicy way and therefore here, i just used up all the green onions that i have at home at that time. If i have more, i will throw in even more spring onions here as this is one of the main ingredients and brings taste value to the dish. Yes, put in more spring onions :)




Recipe
4 medium sized mud crabs, cleaned and cut into pieces
70gms ginger, sliced
50gms or more spring onions , sectioned, separate the white parts
1 medium size onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic
3/4tsp salt
1 tbsp oyster sauce
cooking wine, from the bottle cap, 1 cap

Method:
1. Pour some oil into the wok and heat up. Fry the crabs till they turn orange or almost cooked. Remove from wok. Alternatively, if you do not want to pre fry the crabs, just go straight to 2.
2. Leaving some oil in the wok, saute the ginger, garlic and the white parts of the green onion and onion till aromatic. Add in the crabs and stir fry them for about a minute. Add in the salt and oyster sauce and continue to stir fry the crabs. You may add in some water if it's too dry. Just splash the water around the wok. Keep frying the crabs and splash some water round the wok if necessary. Cover for a couple of minutes to cook the crabs. Add in the green onions and splash the wine round the wok, fry for about a minute and remove from heat.


I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite and hosted by Alvin of The Chef and Sommelier with the theme ingredient, GINGER

27 comments:

  1. Good morning to you, Lena!

    Since it's bed time here, I may just be dreaming about your lovely looking Crabs the whole night through. Crabs aren't around here and I wouldn't dream of buying them at the food store. You are so lucky to get this wonderful treat and you have done an amazing job of show casing their deliciousness!

    Thank you for tonight's pleasant dreams:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss 姜葱蟹! Yours looks fingerlickingly GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, spring onion and ginger sounds lovely with the crabs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is my favourite!!!!!! but I don't know how to buy crab. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not cooking crabs at home for so long. Yours looks so delicious, makes me want to some crabs now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to easily get fresh crabs, so long crabs are fresh, just simple cooking like this already very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, this is so delicious and it makes me mouthwatering !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never cook crab in my life, even though I love eating them
    I'm too chickened out to even touch live crabs :)
    Can I just come over to your place? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, your crab dish looks good. I usually abstain from crab dish at restaurants because I don't like getting my hands dirty hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look so delicious. Must be finger-licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena,
    Crab is one of our favourite! And this looks delicious, I would add lots of spring onions too! It's time for dinner, can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had this with friends 2 days ago at the restaurant. Wow, you made it even better than the one I had! Very well done. I'm inspired to try to make this at home. Gotta go get some fresh crab. How lucky you've got them from Dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love crabs but I never got to making my own :) So, can i join you for your crab meal, i promise i won't eat too much :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lena! Thanks for linking this delicious crab dish recipe to the LTU! Spring onion and ginger is such a wonderful combination in our chinese culinary world.

    I love lots of spring onion in such dishes too! And the gravy is so tasty and goes perfectly with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    Looks delish
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena, looking at this lovely crab dish reminds me that I have to tell my hubby to bring home the crabs he caught. These days, he prefers to share them with his friends and his remark is 'not good to eat it often - high cholesterol lah'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, who can resist to these fabulous dish? Wish you'll invite me for the dinner, LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful dish! the crabs look and sound incredible, love the addition of the oyster sauce :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your crab dish, I could eat a whole crab all by myself:D looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, our crab season is over now...although we can get frozen crab legs; but that's just about it. Sorry to say, I can only drool over your beautiful crab dish which I can only make in season here, which is in the winter (we don't have winter here in S. Florida)...but the months of Jan-March is the crab season here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena , love crabs ... used to go crabbing when I visit my hometown {New Orleans , La.} until the BP oil spill ... this is one recipe that's a must try . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena,

    Due to my allergy, I never cook and eat crabs. Watching you cooking all these delicious crab dishes is making me feeling so envious.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  23. I miss having crabs too! I wonder if my local store can clean it for me. That will be so handy! The flavours look very clear and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woooo, wrong time to read a crab post and look at crab photos esp when I have not had crabs for quite a while. Now you make me crave....crabs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't even remember when is the last time I had crabs. haha.... Yours look so inviting. Slurppp...
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lena , this is simply the best way to cook crabs ! I You had me drooling - never had crabs for quiet sometime *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  27. How lucky to have specially reserved crabs given to you, and these look amazing. i love ginger every way imaginable. I never would of thought to use it with crab. How wonderful to be able to crack into one right now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete