Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast with Berry Sauce


I seldom have this kind of breakfast at home..i mean to me this is kind of luxurious breakfast. Very often my breakfast is really simple..i am a noodle person but i cant really take noodles in the morning, i find that a little heavy for me, so often breakfast is just slices of bread with jam, oat or milo or just a ham egg sandwich or a simple wrap..and although french toast is very common and simple to make, i rarely make it at home. The only time i have french toast is only at hotel breakfast. Most of the time breakfast is just me alone..so just go simple but nowadays have been making smoothies, easy smoothies that just perk up my mornings.

Have some homemade bread and berries at home so on this day treated myself to something other than my ordinary breakfast.  I cut the bread a little more thicker than usual to soak up the egg mixture, cook them and immediately coat them with cinnamon sugar. Again cinnamon sugar? hehe..as if i've not gotten enough of cinnamon sugar in my doughnuts muffins earlier.  Anyway, the below portion is quite filling, a little heavy for me alone..would be nice if i can share this with someone..:D

Place the hot french toasts in cinnamon sugar immediately after cooking and coat them completely


Recipe ( from curtisstone.com ) has been scaled down to serve 1 or 2
Ingredients for berry sauce
1/3 cup of mixed blueberries and raspberries
1tbsp sugar

Mix the berries and sugar in a pot and cook at medium heat, stirring occasionally and let it simmer for about 5 mins. Remove from heat and leave aside.

French toast
2 slices of thick bread/brioche
3 eggs
1 tbsp of butter
slightly less than 1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
creme fraiche ( i used greek yogurt ) and some fresh berries to serve along.

Method:
1. Using a fork, beat eggs in a large flat plate to blend. Place the slices of bread in the eggs and let stand for about 5 mins, or until the eggs are absorbed, turning the bread slices once.
2. Melt the butter on a pan on medium heat, add in the bread slices and cook for 2mins or golden brown on the outside. Meanwhile, stir the cinnamon and sugar in another large plate. Immediately place the hot french toast in the cinnamon sugar and coat completely. Top with some creme fraiche or yogurt and spoon the berry sauce over the french toast. Scatter some fresh berries over and serve immediately.


Linking this post to Cook Like A Star Event hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy KidsBaby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Grace of Life Can Be Simple


32 comments:

  1. I love so much these and especially the Berry sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious and special breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. contrary to you, I often make French toast, my boy loves it almost every weekend requests for it :)
    but I never make with thick bread
    I saw this in curtis' site and plan to make this weekend when I saw this posting of yours
    hhhmmmm yum! those coated with cinnamon will be fully mine cos the kids don't fancy cinnamon :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can i come over for breakfast? I don't mind sharing with you. Yeah, this is quite a heavy breakfast for me too, sometimes I even skipped my breakfast, just a cup of coffee in the mornings for me, just like today. Looks very good! My kids would indeed love this, french toast is one of their favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,

    Breakfast for me is always rushing... How I wish that I can have a lazy morning. Sit back, relax and enjoy this luxurious French toast... Keep dreaming :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      About your comment on the almond milk chicken...

      Based on your descriptions of Jamie's chicken dish that you cooked, I reckon this Curtis's one is quite different. The gravy of this dish is not rich at all and in fact something like fish head / fish fillet rice vermicelli noodle soup with evaporated milk. Quite soothing to eat for winter.

      Zoe

      Delete
  6. Lena, I like to have this for my lunch. Must be very delicious with the berry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, make extra and I will come over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these sound good, I have made a note of this recipe and so simple. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...would love to have it for breakfast in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yums!. I would love to have this for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks SOOO gorgeous!!! I would jump out of bed for this in the morning :)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, totally loved its colour and texture:) Well done:)
    www.merrytummy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena , I'm at the front door with my plate in my hand ... hurry , let me in , I want a taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I wish these on my table this morning. haha.... Have a lovely day dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am here to help you eat your french toast, visually:D looks really delicious, and yes, I find eating noodles for breakfast a bit too much too...I don't understand how folks in Klang can eat BKT for breakfast!:P

    ReplyDelete
  16. the ultimate breakfast anytime of the day! i LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  17. An indulgent breakfast, when I see this I think of breakfast at a resort paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Lena, I'm back in action again! Your toast is super-duper thick, I love it! When I first dating with my hubby, he made me french toast & at that time, I didn't know what was french toast, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a luxurious breakfast indeed!Love it!
    Many kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena! I would like to have that for my breakfast! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Lena, your French toast look fabulous...I love it thick and perfect with berries.
    Hope you are having a great week my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, I adore your cinnamon French toast. Such a coincidence; because I'm about to make my version of a similar French toast, except mine is an 'overnight' type that you bake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man, that is one cafe quality breakfast you got there. The thick toast, fruit compote.. i'm drooling already!! Bet it makes mornings even nicer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena , I think your thick French toast looks so much better than the usual thin ones :D I love that this version is not soggy at all ! And it's really delicious with the berry sauce .

    Most of the time , it's just milky coffee and some bread but sometimes instant noodles will do as well ....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am the same way about breakfasts as you. I like French toast (and I never eat it with syrup) but to make it at home you have to have home made bread like you. My daughter always make hers with cinnamon sugar, but usually adds it to the egg mixture. I will have to show her yours...it is beautiful and looks so yummy! Love the berry sauce is a perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a perfect breakfast! The berries would make the French Toast healthier and even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Indeed a very luxurious and sinful breakfast! I love having French toasts on holiday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I seldom has such a luxury breakfast too..but I love this, with berries and jam, super!

    ReplyDelete