Thursday, July 25, 2013

Beggar's Chicken (乞丐鸡)


Sometime end of last year, my friend, Cheah of No-Frills Recipes was checking  with me regarding a restaurant in KL, and it says that the glutinuos rice and pig trotters are very delicious, actually both of us are not very sure the name of the restaurant but we know that it is located out of town, somewhere near the palm oil estate. After some googling, managed to find out that this restaurant is located in Ijok, Selangor and not only it is famous for its eight treasure glutinous rice, infact the more well known and popular dish in this restaurant is their Beggar's Chicken which is baked in an open brick oven using charcoal fire.. The chicken are stuffed with chinese herbs, wrapped in aluminium foil and then covered in clay. It is then placed on top of the open brick oven and buried in charcoal and ash to be baked for several hours.

these are the common herbs that we used to bake this beggar's chicken
the gravy ...

Even though up to this day, i hv yet to try the real beggar's chicken from Ijok, will then do a homecooked version instead. Stuff the chicken with herbs and wrapped it up with some foil and parchment paper and instead of covered it with clay, it is now replaced by a dough crust and bake it in the oven for 2.5 hours. I can tell you that after breaking the crust, just like Shannon said, the aroma of the herbs baking in the chicken is wonderful! The gravy is so tasty and the meat of the chicken is just so so tender...totally worth your time! Do you know the hardest part of making this chicken is not the preparation, wrapping  or waiting time, it is the breaking of the dough crust! So hard..i mean really hard and very hot!! so friends, if any of you are preparing this in future, just be careful when breaking the crust, i did that with a kitchen scissors and also with my hands..with kitchen mittens on of course :)

stuff the herbs into the cavity of the chicken and pour the sauce over

wrap in foil paper or greaseproof paper..i used both 

then cover with dough

bake in oven for 2.5 hours

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest  ( Kuala Lumpur Selangor Month ) hosted by Shannon of Just As Delish








tastier if you eat that just with your hands :D

Recipe ( adapted from Just As Delish with some changes made )
Ingredients
1 free range chicken/ kampung chicken, mine about 1.1kg
1tsp salt
Pepper

Herbal Filling
1.5 cup water
8gm dang shen
7 red dates
10gm dong guai ( angelica root )
15gm yuk chuk
1tbsp wolfberries
2tbsps cornflour +2tbsp water, for thickening
10gm rock sugar
1tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp chinese rice wine
1tsp sesame oil
3 pieces dried scallops
salt and pepper to taste

Dough
1kg plain flour
10gm salt
550ml- 700ml water

Method:
1. Wash chicken, pat dry and marinate with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
2. Preheat oven to 180C.
3. Bring water and 5 types of herbs to boil in a small pot. Let simmer for 5 mins over low heat, mix in the rest of the seasonings, remove from heat to cool down.
4. Combine salt and half of the water in a mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve salt then pour flour over. Mix and add enough water to form a dough. Rest dough for 30 mins, covered.
5. Get some aluminium foil or greaseproof paper, over a deep bowl large enough to sit the chicken or follow original instructions , place 2 sheets of greaseproof paper/ foil paper ( 55cmx40cm ), fold the 40cm sides about 1 cm thick 5 times to secure it into a big piece.
6. Place the herbs into the cavity of the chicken and place chicken in the bowl. Pour cooled herbal stock over the chicken.
7. Wrap up the chicken with greaseproof paper / foil paper to make into parcel.  I used greaseproof paper and another layer of aluminium foil.
8. Roll the dough out to circle about 1/2 cm thickness and wrap it over the chicken parcel. Place the whole parcel onto tray and bake at 180C for 2.5 hours
9. Break the crust with kitchen scissors and discard dough. Be careful of the hot steam. Quickly place chicken into a large bowl as the gravy will spill out.


55 comments:

  1. Hi Lena , the begger's chicken looks yummy , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have heard about the famous beggar chicken in Ijok but like you I have yet to try. Some friends to me you have to call to book it in advance. It is good to know that we can make this at home too and the steps sound manageable. Yours look very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried Beggar's Chicken in the restaurant before and they wrapped it with mud/clay. Love to give this a try at home. Eating at outside usually seem to salty to me.....hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Lena, that's a very delicious Beggar chicken. Thumbs up! And so kind of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, really looks very delicious and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, this looks amazing! I'm really drooling when I see the photos, look so delicious! Really want to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I had 叫化鸡 years years ago..and you know what? I ate the dough first..LOL...
    Your chicken looks really really tender!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Lena! I'm impressed!

    Can the crust be eaten too? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe..you want to eat? are you wearing dentures? the crust is too hard man!

      Delete
  9. Hi Lena,
    Wow, looks so good! I used to bake beggars chicken years ago, but have never tried it with the dough crust before. Interesting! Will have to try it one day! I have the ingredients listed in Chinese, and each time I want to prepare this dish, I'll bring it to the Chinese yok-choy-poh, show them that piece of paper, and say I want this! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never had beggar's chicken...sounds interesting and at the sometime very tasty.
    Hope you are having a lovely week Lena :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, Lena, your beggar chicken looks so yummy, I want I want, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJuly 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

    Lena, this is great! Can keep the crust for curry gravy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi ivy, no lah..the crust is very very hard, i dont think you want to eat them! LOL!

      Delete
  13. I have hear this before but never taste. but i thinks it s sure very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, after reading your post, I korek-korek my calling card collection and found a card for a restaurant called New Beggar's Delicious Restaurant in Ijok. Don't know if this is the same one you mentioned. I have never been there. If you interested can call (03) 3279-1936 or 019-317-3687 (Mr Tee). I ma very tempted to make this beggar's chicken. Sounds interesting to break the dough crust :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks phong hong, yeah it's the same one as i remember the owner's name is mr tee. hehe..the crust is very very hard, i almost break my scissors!

      Delete
  15. Lena, this is very creative and special using dough instead of clay to cover the chicken!!!! Looks yummy! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks really delicious! Can we also eat the dough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont think so, the crust is very hard, i dont think you would want to eat it..:)

      Delete
  17. Lena, I'm so impressed. The chicken look soooo delicious and must be finger-licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, even though you said the dough is hard to break, think it is fun and novel way to eat chicken. I am very unfamiliar with Chinese herbs and also have limited spoken chinese, so a bit challenging for me to cook this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena truly impressed with your Beggars Chicken. The chicken must be still moist as the dough help protect it from drying out. Have to say I have never tried this before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena!! I'm so impressed with your dish! As I know this Beggars Chicken is a delicacy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This Beggar's Chicken looks succulent! I didn't know there are so many herbs in the Beggar's Chicken! must taste really good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This really looks tender and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so interesting and super moist. I'll bet it was delicious! Sometimes making it myself is the only way I'll get to try some things and hope it is close to the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Lena..you so rajin to make this. The chicken looks so tender and soft and I could almost taste the aromatic flavorful stock. The first time I ate Beggers Chicken was when my sis u-know-who la baked it. It was so good (don't tell her ah)..hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena, sooooo nice. How I wish I can crack that crust to enjoy the flavourful chicken inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The way you described this made my tummy grumble. I can smell that.....almost!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks and sounds so tasty... Have a funtastic sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally delicious! Good to know how to make this as it will quite expensive to eat out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry abit loser sounding but why do you bake it with the dough and toss it away? Can it be eaten with the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi janine, the original way of cooking this in the restaurant is by using clay mud to cover the chicken and bake it in an open fire but thru home cooking , we replace the clay with the dough. I dont think the dough was meant to be eaten anyway becos it is really very very hard, its purpose was to bake it and seal in all the flavours.

      Delete
  30. If I was a beggar I would certainly eat the dough and not throw it away, I would still do that anyway I think, I never throw food away! The chick does look delicious though. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can understand that..just that the dough is just too hard after baking it for several hours in the oven :)

      Delete
  31. oh man...i am drooling here. bet it taste better than the salt baked chicken which is famous in our hometown ;) so did you eat the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I BEG for some Beggar's Chicken! :) We just call it Herbal Chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  33. okay girl this is too cool! i have never seen chicken done like this before and i LOVE IT! The flavors you have going on here are just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this dish alot. There is this home based restaurant in JB that serves this and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lena , I won't call it a beggar's chicken nowadays since fresh chicken is so expensive these days :D Lovely moist and tender texture ! I really want a taste of that ! Btw , how was your HK trip ?! Hope you'll post something about it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my heavens, Lena! I must try this chicken recipe. Can you imagine what Marion would do if I put the entire chicken on her plate, crust and all!

    I am so saving this!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great name for this dish, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  38. eileen, hundred eighty degreesAugust 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

    Hi Lena, cool! Like a restaurant standard: )

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this Lena look really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This entire post is pure magic. The photos are absolutely gorgeous and the recipe is very curious. I can't wait to get my hands on some

    ReplyDelete
  41. I too have not tried the real beggar chicken.. must go ijok one day , your dish looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Never think bout that beggar chicken can be home made, great job Lena!! ^^ this is superlicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. OMG Lena!
    Spring Salute!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I had the real beggar chicken in Ijok before, for me, it taste like an ordinary herbs chicken, nothing special lor.. I bet your version is better than them.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Goodness me! That's real labour of love, Lena! I would use a big saw to saw the hard crust.......hubby on one side and I on the other side......LOL

    ReplyDelete