Monday, June 10, 2013

Sri Lankan Tamarind Fish Curry


My love for curry..there isnt a week that i eat without curry..I'm trying out this sri lankan curry for the first time. It's quite similar to the Indian Style Fish Curry which i hv cooked a couple of times.. this sri lankan curry is more sourish in taste , doesnt contain coconut milk and not as heavily spiced compared to the former in my opinion, but just as good, just as shiok! If you love indian food or indian curry, then i suggest you can also try out the Indian Style Fish Curry and Sardine Curry. Also i know Joyce has a couple of good curry recipes in her blog when at a time she participated in an event where she had cooked a lot of Madhur Jaffrey's curry recipes. So drop by to check if you are interested.


It is fairly simple to cook this sri lankan tamarind curry. Start by frying the fenugreek, followed by the garlic and onions and just pour the rest of the ingredients to make the curry, simple right? Curry dishes endanger my waistline but such appetising dish, how to resist? how to stop? Happy to link this to Little Thumbs Up  organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids  and Doreen of My Favourites 123 and this month hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders with the theme, Curry Powder/ Curry Paste. If you are a lover of curry of any sorts, do check out the link here 



Recipe ( from the book, South Indian Temptations ) with some changes made
Ingredients
3 mackarel fish cutlets
4tbsp oil
1/2tsp fenugreek
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 onion, sliced
a sprig curry leaves
50gm tamarind mixed with 2 cups of water, then strain the mixture
4 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsps chilli powder
2 tomatoes, quartered
1tsp salt, or to taste
1.5 tsp sugar, or to taste

Method:
1. Heat oil and fry fenugreek till you can smell the aroma. Add the sliced garlic, onion and curry leaves. Fry the onion till golden brown.
2. Pour in tamarind mixture, add the curry powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder ( you can put all these powder in a bowl first ), boil for 5 minutes. Add in the salt and sugar to taste followed by the fish cutlets and tomatoes.
3. Remove from heat when fish is cooked.

Also linking this to a new event, Cook Your Books #1 organised by Kitchen Flavours



28 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lena!
    Morning already tempt me with this mouth-watering curry! Looks delicious! Waistline? What waistline!!! Hehe!
    My next post is also a fish curry!! :)
    Thanks for linking and the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, my mouth was watering as I looked at your pictures... would love to have this with a heap of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, your Sri Lankan Fish Curry looks so delicious, i want to have it for my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, just the title of it already sounds so appetixing. Me craving for some sourish curry, this is perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJune 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM

    This is so yummy... I need extra bowl of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love curry, I think I need a bowl of white rice now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot shot curry!!! Lovely and yumm dear ;)
    How you been???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love curries but they are such a chore to put together...this one looks quite simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah..tis fish curry really looks good... i love fish curry very much too... i will come by for yr recipe if i ever cook this fish curry...bookmarked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waistline ? Don't really know that word :D Haven't had fish curry yet , your version looks scrumptious ! Lots of wonderful flavor in that dish .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lena, this tamarind fish curry is hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lena, looks like we are going to see many version of great curry dishes this month, yum yum! You always show so much of affection on this style of curry, can give me a bowl of rice now to go with it, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mouthwatering! Love the spicy and sourish taste in this type of curries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't really tell the difference between all different kinds of curry, but I the pungent and delicious flavours from them. The fish curry looks lipsmackingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey, did you get to write for the advertiser i mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena,
    This looks simply delicious, wish I can have some fresh mackeral to cook this dish! Thanks for joining in our curry evnt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, my kind of curry. Sourish, no coconut milk and less spices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehehe I definitely will cook this curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks very appetising indeed, Lena. I can do with a second helping of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. your plate of dish curry look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena, this is the kind of curry I wouldn't mind cooking, sourish/spicy with coconut milk. Quite similar to Sri Lankan Spicy Pork Curry which uses apple cider vinegar. Must cook both versions asap.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, this is a yummy looking curry! Love the colour :) I must cook fish curry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Howdy Lena! The word tamarind already making me salivate. haha... Yeah, so powerful ! Err...wish I can have some with my rice later on. >o<
    Enjoy your evening dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH wow! This dish is sooo mouthwatering & very inviting!! Need some nasi to makan this curry fish! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree, this looks mouthwatering and love tamarind!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have shared nice information....Thanks for sharing
    PRS Spices is a leading spice & herbs supplier that offers range of good quality spices seasonings, cumin powder, curry powder, chat masala etc. We offer valued spices to meet all cookery needs globally, coriander seed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena, I tried this curry last weekend. It was good but I used fried fish. I sure will try it again without frying the fish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. delighted to hear that, thx kimmy!

      Delete