Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Stir Fried Eryngii Mushroom with Sichuan Pickled Mustard


I have made this dish a couple of times ever since i saw it in Maureen's blog ( TasteHongKong.com ) quite some time back. It is a very simple dish to whip up , just within minutes . Maureen claims this is one healthy 'fast food', it is light, meatless and yet nice enough to serve with some rice and porridge. Most of the time i do not have  much idea what to cook with Sichuan pickled mustard other than cooking it with some minced meat, so when Maureen did it with mushroom, i was very excited to try as i've never cooked putting just mushrooms and pickled mustard together, just these 2 main ingredients. It was also suggested that you can replace mushrooms with cloud ears fungus ( 云耳 ) if you like.

I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite 123 DIY and hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours with the selected ingredients, " Mushroom" this month.

Right : shredded eryngii mushrooms and the sichuan pickled vegetable at the back.


Recipe( from TasteHongKong.com )
Ingredients
2 pieces eryngii mushroom ( king oyster mushroom )
1 packet julienned Sichuan picked mustard, 100gm, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
cut chilli (optional )

Seasonings
1/2tsp cooking wine
1/4tsp salt , or to taste
1/2tsp soy sauce
1/4tsp sugar
pinch of ground white pepper
droplets of sesame oil ( optional )
spring onions ( optional)

Method:
1. Wash and pat dry the mushrooms. Cut off the roots of the mushroom and slice them , on the diagonal, about half cm thick and cut into shreds.
2.Over medium heat, heat wok with one tbsp of oil , saute garlic till fragrant. Toss in mushroom shreds, stir fry for about a minute. Throw in a pinch of ground white pepper and sprinkle wine on sides of wok. Put in the julienned sichuan picked mustard ,toss them around in the wok and add in the salt, soy sauce and sugar.
3.You might like to give a last splash of some cooking wine at the end. Remove from heat and serve hot.


27 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,
    I really love eating pickled mustard, and have never cooked it with just mushroom before. Usually I would cook it with other veggies and mushroom together. This looks simply and delicious, would be lovely with plain porridge too! I could just eat this one dish with porridge alone!
    Thank you for linking to LTU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Lena
    Love that this is meatless. A lot of the dishes with pickled szechuan veg is with pork. This is a nice change. Have a wonderful week ahead! :) - shaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena! My granny cooked a similar dish like yours for our dinner almost every week! She used the traditional dried mushrooms and added shredded carrots and pork. Very simple dish but it accompanied me through out my years in granny's place.. Love it!

    Hmmm ... come to think about it... I have not eaten this for ages! Thanks for sharing and time for me to recreate this for old time sake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is pickled mustard? This vegetarian dish looks good... how I wish I could have this for my coming lunch later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stir fried sichuan mustard and I usually put in minced pork. Never thought of adding mushroom! Must try! Looks so delicious! Pass me a bowl of porridge:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. something new with something old :) i like :) i'm a fan of preserved mustard, must try this recipe then. nice to have a meatless option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, a rather unusual combination but I know it is good! Will try it one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the pickle, it is appetizing..and this make a good combination, as mushroom taste rather blanch..very good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering with the thought of pickled mustard! Lol! I think the texture of this dish is awesome! Crunch and with a bite...nom nom! Nice dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice dish and it looks really appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, the mushroom that you are using is quite popular here. I have been seeing it in all the chinese grocery shops & they are imported from Korea. This is certainly a healthy dish, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, your mushroom dish looks so great. I love any dish cook with mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very appetizing and delicious, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena , I never knew that this mushroom is called eryngii :P :D I've tried cooking this mushroom before but it tastes boring ugh ! Maybe I'll try this version .....

    ReplyDelete
  15. the addition of that picked mustard sounds so intriguing. I wonder if I could get that in my grocery store! These noodles scream delish

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds refreshing and delicious. Love the addition of mustard vegetables for that crnunch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, nice! I love stir fry! It's midnight, and all I want to do right now is make this :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I didn't know this is called eryngii. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like how moist your mushrooms has turned out, meaning they must have been nicely fried, big thumbs up! Honestly, this dish has come to my rescue many times when I need to do a speedy meal. And often, I add cloud ears (together with mushrooms) as they help make the dish look bigger, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds and looks really tasty, I have not used Sichuan pickled mustard for a while...this will be really good with some rice.
    Hope you are having a great week Lena :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this recipe ! Reminds me of you making soap at home, Mom.
    And it's fun to see photos of your house there and see
    Dad in that comfy chair we sat in when we visited,
    attempting to use the slow internet :)

    I can't wait to hear how the soap turned out in terms
    of using it. Does it smell different since it is made with
    animal fat? Any other differences from vegetable-based soap?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUmmy! The mushrooms must be absorbing the flavors of the pickled mustard so well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds & looks so good! YUMMY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lena, prepared this dish for my MIL who suffered a fractured wrist over the weekend. Appetising with the Sichuan preserved mustard and the mushrooms were sweet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kimmy for letting me know. Hope your mil gets well very soon.

      Delete