Friday, May 31, 2013

Steamed Cassava Parcels/ Pais Ubi Kayu


Couldnt be much simpler making these snacks. This tapioca parcels is one of the local delights coming from the state of Sabah, Malaysia. Not sure these delights originated from which ethnic groups in Sabah because there are so many. Probably this is also one of the quickest kuih/cake i have made in recent months. Made with simple ingredients and wrap in banana leaves, it is fragrant and very nice to eat. I read that some also eat this along with bananas. Most of the pictures i see in the internet are mostly made from yellow fleshed tapioca but i forgot to ask the seller and just grab one, so i can see that this is the white fleshed one. It is not very sweet, depends how sweet you can go, you can add another 2-3 tbsps of sugar into the mixture, can try tasting it during the mixing..

just these ingredients...grated tapioca/ cassava, grated coconut and sugar

put the filling..
fold over the top and bottom part 

then tuck in the ends of the sides..


after steaming...

Recipe ( from Table for 2 ..or more )
1 cup packed grated tapioca/cassava ( dont have to squeeze dry )
1/2 cup packed freshly grated coconut
1/4 cup sugar
7-10 pieces banana leaves, depending on the amt of filling ..cut into 8" x 5", blanched in boiling water to soften ( mine turned out to be 8 parcels )

Method:
1. Mix the grated tapioca, grated coconut and sugar together in a big bowl.
2. Put one heaped tablespoon onto the banana leaves , wrap and fold into parcels. Steam on high heat for 10 mins. Remove from steamer.



I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Sabah Month ) hosted by Mary of A Pepper's Love


12 comments:

  1. Lena , we have this kind of dessert back home as well ! We call it 'alupi" though ours look a bit more compact :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really? i wonder if the filipinos have any influence on this dessert as we know there are also sub ethnic groups that originate from the philippines residing in sabah...

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm....love this. I remember eating this when I was young. Didn't bother how it was made. Now I know.....so simple!....haha. How we take things for granted at times huh :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi mary, how are you? i'm going to chk your blog later..dont know why it was unaccessible last week...

      Delete
  3. YUMMY. next time must ask you to make for us :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to steam it in this way. Very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,
    I love eating any tapioca kuih! This looks good! I have never seen the yellow tapioca before, never knew there's a yellow one! My mom used to plant tapioca, the white variety, when I was young, so we always have fresh steamed tapioca eaten with grated coconut and sometimes with sambal belacan! And we love it when she makes kuihs! Yums! I really missed all that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really delicious, I love steamed cassava... Would love to make this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Lena, I haven't had cassava for a very long time now. It was one of my favourite when I was in Malaysia. Your version have grated coconut, must be very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learnt this from a Lun Bawang, but it's said to be a Bajau snack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NICE....I love the transparent look of casava. Pretty tempting as well.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete