Monday, April 22, 2013

Tres Leches Cake


Actually this cake has been made long time ago, about more than a year. That time i happened to receive some DDL from Elin and decided to make this cake as i have also seen it in Wendy's blog. I was very keen to try it out at that time becos it's something interesting to know eating a cake that is soaked in milk. I had adapted the whole recipe and method from wendy's blog and that time i didnt take any photos as to how to assemble the cake but you can refer to wendy's blog as to how to go about soaking the cake.


When Zoe made a choice for the bake along to make this cake, i was telling my 2 other hosts, Joyce and Zoe herself that i will not be making this cake again as i have made earlier but yet to post and am still keeping the photos in my file. First of all, i'm lazy to make this cake again as the earlier one i made did involved a bit of preparation work. Secondly, only me likes the cake in my family. The rest find it a little weird eating a soaked cake or rather a wet cake.  The milk mixture is actually very nice, like a mild coffee milk and i didnt pour in all the milk mixture onto the cake cos when i was doing that, it seemed quite a lot so i held back some of the milk mixture and just drank that up. But i think it's worthwhile trying this cake especially if you are just as curious as i was in the first place, a soaked cake.


the plain cake after baking..
you can see the different tone colours in the cake, that 's the milk mixture that has been
poured over the cake earlier on.

Recipe ( from Table for 2..or more, who adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes  )
Milk Mixture
600gm fresh milk
100gm Dulce de Leche ( DDL )
115gm whipping cream

Put DDL in a heatproof bowl and stir in whipping cream. Bring fresh milk to a boil and pour over DDl and cream. Stir to melt DDL and leave to cool in the fridge.

Cake
4 large eggs
133gm sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
133gm cake flour

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 180C and line the base of the pan ( i used 8 inch square pan)
2.Beat eggs, sugar on high speed for abt 8 mins then to low speed for 2 mins
3.Beat in vanilla and sift cake flour over eggs and fold. Pour batter into pan and bake for 30mins or until cooked.
4.Let cake cool in pan for 5 mins , remove and let cool on wire rack.

Assemble:
1. Using a cake pan, place 2 sheets of cling wrap crisscrossing each other over the pan. Scape off the top of the cake using a serrated knife and place the cake into the cake pan, top side up.
2. Pour the milk mixture over the cake all around, fold cling wrap over the cake and chill overnight. ( note that i didnt pour in all of the milk mixture, i left for about 150ml )
3. Next day, remove the cake from fridge and unwrap. Turn the cake over to a plate and turn it up again. Whip some cream and spread it on top on the cake.

For pics instructions how to soak the cake,  you can refer to Wendy's post here


The link will be opened from today till May01, 2013. You can pick any Tres Leches Cake recipe of your own choice. Just a reminder to all who are interested to do a link with us, please mention Bake Along event in your post and link it back to any of the hosts' post and link only new and current post. Thank you.


get the InLinkz code

33 comments:

  1. This was on my mind today, Superb Looking!

    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon if I make this cake, I would be the only one eating too, that's what been stopping me from trying out this cake:D Looks interesting and like you I am pretty curious about the taste, but not curious enough to waste so I won't be making it lol! Your look looks good without the liquid swimming at the bottom like I saw in some blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love Tres Leches...but dot know why after my first attempt on making it myself left bad memories la. Somehow after that 4-5hrs of boiling, my can got rusty? Any idea why ah? Anyway your Tres Leuches cake looks very good la...just cut me a big piece an save me the trouble la,lol! (⌒▽⌒)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena, funnily this reminds me of tiramisu - coffee soaked cake :) A lot of work ah? hmmm...then i shall just feast my eyes on your cake photo then. It looks really pretty and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, this is my 3rd 3-milk cake for the day. Let me try one so I can compare with Zoe & Joyce version, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I have seen this type of cake somewhere before and I also think it is weird. Hah! Hah! Since I don't like milk, I will just admire the cake. Yours looks very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena,
    I was rather surprised that the one I've made from Pioneer Woman's recipe, is so delicious! Even my hubby who only likes certain cakes, ask for a second piece.
    I have not seen the DDL sold around here before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, even yrs looks so delicious.. loved to try a pc of them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet tried this cake. Now, you've tempted me to do so. Hope you're going to have a great week ahead.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena, the first photo with the black background is very nice. Very pro shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi lena, agree its alot of work! I am glad I tried this recipe out, but I won't be making this again too. Too many calories LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesApril 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

    Hi Lena, looks like I can't give this a miss.: )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena! One year ago? You must have lots of photos and recipes in your database yet to be posted? :D

    Soaked cake.. is it like Tiramisu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..actually not many..some i decided not to post :)

      i think my cake is a little wetter than tiramisu, imagine pouring so much milk onto the cake. taste wise, tiramisu is richer :D

      Delete
  14. Ooh yours have DDL in it, sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting cake and yours look good. Curious to know what's the taste like :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, your Tres Leches Cake is totally amazing...incredible, moist, and super delicious. Love, love, how it turned out. So perfect, and mouthwatering! Thanks for sharing your super great recipe. Must make this real soon. So far your Tres Leches cake and the recipe is the BEST that I have seen! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need that can of DDL here :D Your version looks very moist and so yummy ! The cake is on my to-do list for quiet sometime and I'm gonna bake this , no excuses this time lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tres leches cake looks mouthwatering, Lena. Even the plain cake has already looked very tempting without the irresistible frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always feel that DDL is very sweet. Your cake looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena,The frosting looks pretty and the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks enticing! Where do you buy the Dulce Lena?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, how are you? it was a gift from a friend. You can make your own dulce at home, you can google that, there have a few methods of doing that.

      Delete
  22. Hi Lena! Don't think I'll be making this cake as I don't like the taste of plain milk - I literally shudder when I see the amount of milk being used! Your cake looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,

    I like your rippled creamed surface of your cake. Very pretty! Sorry for making you waiting so long before you can post the baking of this cake :p I don't think your cake look soaking wet at all. Mine too because I trimmed off the edges :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. seriously, one of my favorite cakes of ALL TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It doesn't look wet to me. Next time u make this n no one to share with, just give me a call. Don't mind sampling this yummy lookg cake!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Se ve muy tentador es mi torta preferida muy rico ,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lena,
    This is the third tres leches cake I sample today:D
    Yours looks so pretty with the ripples frosting.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  28. YUM! this looks so inviting & lovely! And the ripple frosting looks simply FAB, babe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lena. Great-looking cake. I can't get the dulce de leche here so I made my own sometime ago. Addictive stuff. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I used to blog and blog-visit. Anyway, I decided to give blogging another shot. Hopefully I can hang around a longer time this time :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete