Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cek Mek Molek ( Fried Sweet Potatoes Dumplings )


I find the name of this kuih is rather cute..cek mek molek. The Malay word, Molek means pretty or beautiful..so i shall just call it Miss Pretty or molek. The making of this molek is quite similar to the sweet potato balls where we can find at our local kuih stalls but instead of round, these molek comes in oblong shape and also they are filled with sugar which will eventually melt into syrup after frying these molek.

This is a small recipe and it comes to about 10 moleks. Well, out of 10, there were 4 which the sugar has leaked out during the frying process. I thought i had sealed them nicely but it still leaked out , so when you want to do this, do make sure you seal up properly. I had made them cooked under low fire enabling the sugar to melt into syrup, i didnt time them but it takes probably about  8-9 mins. Do not tempt to eat this while they are still hot, the syrup will burn your tongue..i almost burnt mine.




my moleks got a bit out of shape :)

the melted sugar filling

Recipe ( with reference from Table for 2..or more )
240gm peeled sweet potatoes ( i used orange sweet potatoes )
70gm- 80gm plain flour
caster sugar for filling

1. Boil or steam the sweet potatoes till soft and mash them. Add the plain flour till a pliable dough is formed. I used  mixer to do this .
2.Divide the dough into 30gms each and shape round. Flattem them into disc and fill them with 1 tsp of sugar, seal and make into oblong shape. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
3. Deep fry them on low medium heat till a crust is formed on the outside. Let cool down before serving.

Try not to add too much flour into the dough. If you find it a little stickly, flour your palms. You can also watch the video created by Wendy on how to shape these moleks. 


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Kelantan Month ) hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets

38 comments:

  1. looks delicious and so bright, hungry now looking at it:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lena for your support and participation in the MFF Kelantan event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious Lena. I really love these chewy sweet potato snacks. Will try to make them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum yum kuih kegemaran Cm ni tapi awas jangan makan ketika masih panas ya nanti mulut terbakar kerana kandungan gula yang panas di dalamnya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, very tempting! But this "Cek Mek Molek" from Terengganu is too lazy hah! hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I drool when Wendy posted hers and now, I drool and I have to wipe my table again!! I love snack and dessert like this as I find this is so yummy; tapi lazy nak buat lah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cek mek molek is so delicious k, i want to have a bite on it!
    I love this snak, will definetely try to make it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This kueh is just perfect for tea time, with a cup of tea. Oh gosh, Lena, you made my tummy growling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a perfect snack for tea! I love sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! ni mesti tak sabar nak makan panas2 nih!

    akak tak berani buat kueh ni sebab tak sabar tengok gula tu leaking dalam kuali hihihi...tapi akak ingat nak try guna gula melaka...mungkin ok kot? kan?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, orange sweet potatoes looks pretty, I used purple color, looks dark...and it's equally yummy.....lol...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well , they look pretty tasty to me ! The crispy yet chewy (?) dough with gooey filling makes my mouth water :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shape and looks exactly like the sweet potatoes!!!! Well done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena,
    This looks so yummy!!
    I would like to try this too :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena! Can I make these into balls so that the syrup would not leak out easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can shape them into balls, then it's no more cek mek molek because the traditional ones are in oblong shape. YOu call them encik molek la! :D

      Delete
  16. Cek mek moleks looking good including the cek mek making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious...will try this recipe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your cek molek definitely looks pretty! And syrup in the centre... mmmm sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooo. I am thinking melted gula melaka would be great heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,

    Love all your little Miss Pretty... Chantek! - LOL!

    Sounds like making these can be quite "technical" to avoid sugar leaking while frying.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena, I love your Miss Pretty, so pretty lol. Love the oozing out sugar, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ohhhhhh i would love to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah Moi, bagi satu cek mek molek boleh tak? When I first looked at the name & picture, I thought I haven't tasted this before but after finish reading it, I yes, I recall how tasty there were! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a sucker for fried pastry or sweet dough- these look fantastic- the perfect ending to a perfect meal

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks good. At first i thought it was those deep fried sweet potatoes until I read further....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Lena,
    The name is super cute! Haha!
    These would be perfect for a snack, anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lena, I love this snack, but can plain flour make the dough crispy after frying? Some said rice flour is better for frying. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plain flour is mixed with the sweet potatoes to form a dough. I hv heard of the use of rice flour to produce a crispy skin but i hv not tried it though, but that's for coating, not for mixing with the dough if i'm not wrong.

      Delete
  28. These sound so interesting! I've never tasted anything like this before so I'd love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Woah, 8-9 minutes macam very long hoh.
    Maybe cos Caster sugar, melt too quick... terleleh gua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..never timed..but to me it seemed quite long ...as for the leaking, i think it's my sealing problem :)

      Delete
  30. This looks so tempting! I wish that I am just living next door so at least I can help myself with that: ) thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooooh........I love these. They look so cute and delicious. I love sweet potatoes. I need to try and make these one day. Thanks very much for sharing. I think it would be very nice to fill with sambal too :D. Oh dear, I think I will dream of these tonight.....haha. It's all your fault, Lena :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Simple recipe for simple minded Quay Po. I like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't see this around very often now. Very yummy with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete