Friday, March 22, 2013

Sting Ray Assam Pedas ( Hot and Sour Fish Johor Style )


From the past MFF events, i've come to realise different states have their own so called version of hot and sour fish. Malacca has their Ikan Gerang Assam ( Spicy and Sour Fish Curry ) and Kedah has its own Asam Pedas Utara ( Hot and Sour Fish ). I have cooked the northern style hot and sour fish couple of months back and if compared, i would say that this Johor's version is much richer in taste and in broth. While the northern style of cooking sour fish is mainly employed by just boiling the ingredients, the chilli paste here needs to be sauteed. Both the ingredients are quite the same. I have not tried the Malacca Sour Fish curry but looking at the ingredients, Johor's type includes laksa leaves and also Torch gingerbud which they are not being used in the Malacca's version. Nevertheless, I believe that both are equally good as i've seen some of you have given some really good feedback. I am not sure about you, but anything hot and sour really whets my appetite. If you are like me and want to cook this, be prepared to cook a big pot or rice, but just dont blame me if you overeat :D

Main ingredients and the grinding ingredients
Marinating the fish with tamarind pulp


Recipe ( from Table for 2 ..or more , reference from CT Delima  and Myresepi)
Ingredients
750gm stingray
1 torch gingerbud, halved
4 sprigs of daun kesum /laksa leaves
2 lemon grass ( 4 inches from the base ) , smashed
10 young okra, trimmed
2 tomatoes, quartered
75gm + 25gm tamarind pulp
750ml water
4tbsp oil
2tbsp sugar
1/3 tsp salt
mint leaves ( optional, i just used that for garnishing )
Grind to a paste
12 dried chillies( soaked to soften)
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
15gm chopped ginger
1 thumbsize turmeric root, chopped
5gm belachan/ dried shrimp paste

Method:
1. Cut string ray into preferred size and rub 25gm of tamarind pulp onto it, let it sit for 30 mins and rinse the fish clean after that. Proceed to preparing the chilli paste
2. Rub 75gm of tamarind pulp in 750ml water until seeds are clean. Strain and discard the juice. Leave aside.
3. Heat wok and put in oil and saute grinded ingredients till oil separates. Put in lemon grass, torch gingerbud, daun kesum , tomatoes and the tamarind juice from (2). Bring to a boil.
4. Put in the fish, salt and sugar, bring it back to a boil , taste and fine tune the taste. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes or till fish is cooked.
5.Put in the okra and let it cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Remove from wok.

p/s If you look at Wendy's assam pedas and mine, you will see that her broth is much more richer in colour,
..maybe due to the grades of dried chillies and probably mine not grinded till fine enough.. not sure why.


I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Event ( Johor Month ) hosted by Annie of Annielicious Food

45 comments:

  1. Hi Lena
    Just the mentioned of "assam pedas" already makes me drooling even before I look at the pic of your delicious Assam Pedas Stingray! I loves this lots.... I have never cooked with stingray before though I loves this fish alot. Love to try this one day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is also my first time cooking stingray ..but ate stingray many times especially the panggang way :)

      Delete
  2. Stingray! one of my favourite! Is not common to find stingray here ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can still use other fish..mackarel?

      Delete
  3. Greetings from across the sea
    May you always be well and happy
    Your hot and sour fish
    For me, one favorite dish
    You have got it nicely done
    To me it is second to none

    Bye, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your comment made my eyes twinkle
      also a smile which couldnt hide my wrinkle
      am sure you can cook this hot and sour fish
      which is also one of my fav dish
      if you dont like the taste of this dish
      you can always make your own twist..:)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lena,
    I'll bring my biggest rice cooker to your house. Get a place ready for me at your dinner table and have this delicious asam pedas right in front of me! Looks so appetizing! The best part of the stingray that I really love whether in asam pedas, sambal tumis, fried or baked, are the sides, not much meat, but I love to chew! I love stringray, my dad used to catch live stingray from his sea-fishing, and nothing beats the freshness and sweetness of freshly caught stingray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wah..you really one prof cook..i want to learn from you all the asam pedas and sambal tumis stingray! teach me! teach me! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Hi Lena, asam pedas is a staple in my house, we have it every week! Sting ray is, of course, the preferred fish to go with the dish. This recipe has torch gingerbud & tomato... that's new to me. I will try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, do try this..see how different is this to your normal asam pedas...:)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen stingray before or maybe I haven't recognized it at the market :P ... Your assam pedas looks flavorful ! Imagine all those wonderful spices in this dish ?! I think the version of hot and sour fish here ( though I haven't tried hot and sour fish here yet ) is not as fantastic as the one you have there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, i am sure the ones that you get there will not be the same as here..this is more towards malay style...

      Delete
  7. Awesome dish! I can have this just with 2 bowls of rice~ Ahem, I'm trying very hard to self-control, otherwise I will ask for 3 bowls of rice :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once in a while, i think it's okay..not everyday!

      Delete
  8. I'm salivating while looking at your stingray! It's been ages since I cooked stingray...hot and sour somemore...more steam rice please! Ai yo, I'm so slack on this month's MFF ya...just kill me already!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting recipe, just the thing for a misty cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks great! It's a really cold morning today, and this looks perfect to come home to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! we can eat this even on hot scorching days!

      Delete
  11. I love stingray and this dish looks soooo delicious! I can eat extra rice with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely recipe - I love the spices and flavors :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm..Lena, this post really drolling me! I love stingray (mostly smoked one) and you make it asam pedas..!! wow..doublelicious!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hi! what a surprise! how are you? have you stopped blogging?

      Delete
  14. Hi Lena, your sting ray dish is mouth watering... love that curry, will have extra rice just for the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, i boleh tambah nasi with this kuah pedas.. bestnya. Next time you come to KL for a visit, you-know-who can cook ikan gerang assam for you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena, your dish is mouth watering la. i long time not cook sting ray. will keep your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi xing hui, hope you will enjoy eating this!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful looking curry, one which I won't be able to cook because I don't like cooking curries lol! too much work and handling of chillies which I don't like! But I do love to eat curries! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, you are right! If you cook this dish, you must cook a big pot of rice hah! hah! I also like to drink the gravy. I must cook my grandma's version one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a mouthwatering dish!!!! Wonderful recipe and thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today I tak masak , boleh pergi rumah awak makan? Dua pinggan nasi pun tak cukup!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena, dropping by here like getting tortured, ha ha. I have always loved this ray asam pedas.
    Holy Smoke! You did it to perfection too. Love the colours...and this must take time to eat....slowly, to enjoy the beautiful aroma.

    Lena, you sure one heck of a fantastic cook! The kind of girl mothers pray for....their sons to marry. Ha ha ha.
    And if inviting the mother to come for dinner, she eats this ray asam pedas....habis cherita1
    Your name will be mentioned far and near.
    Have a great week.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, this is my favorite... ;) Very yummy looking

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dish looks amazing. Makes me want some sweet & sour fish right now! hahah. Hope you post more soon!

    Follow back if you can :)

    http://chowdownbythebay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. So hungry looking at your picture. Very salivating dish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, from north to south, completed! Only the one in the middle left! Johor style looks as good as the northern one that you did. Love these hot and sour fish dishes, so appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now if only I could get those ingredients here we would love this recipe. Hope that you week is a good one, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena,
    Wow! Your this dish makes me drooling!
    If you cook this again please inform me, I will bring extra rice to your house.. :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yummilicious. Will need to have an extra bowl of rice.

    I do dread having pari outside because they sometimes have a funny ammonia smell to it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great Article :)
    Thank you for the recipe
    I will try to cook

    ReplyDelete