Friday, March 29, 2013

Pickled Vegetable Johor Style ( Acar Darat )


Seeing Gertrude making this acar, i was very eager to try. This is a very simple way of making acar, no sun drying your ingredients or grinding your spices..well, maybe i shouldnt compare this to the traditional nyonya acar making. I still love nyonya acar very much but i havent tried making my own. It was the simplicity of making this johor style acar that makes me wanted to try..Much lesser ingredients and quick to make...nice to go with some rice, also i think it will make a very appetising side dish when served along with some grilled meat or fish..



Recipe ( from My Kitchen Snippets, whom adapted from Mat Gebu )
1 cucumber, seeds removed, cut into thick match stick size
1 carrot, cut into thick match stick size
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and cut into strips
4 cloves garlic, halves
1 onion, cut into wedges
1/2 inch piece young ginger, thinly striped
1 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked and pounded ( udang kering )
1/3 cup vinegar
1 cinnamon stick/ kayu manis
1 star anise / bunga lawang
5 cloves/ bunga cengkih
2 cardamon / pelaga
1 tsp mustard seeds/ biji sawi

Method:
1. Mix the cucumber with the turmeric powder and some salt. Set aside.
2. Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in wok and fry the mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and cardamon until fragrant. Add the ginger, garlic and pounded dried shrimps and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add in sugar and salt to taste  ( i did not add in salt ) and stir till sugar is dissolved, follow by the vinegar.
3. Put in the carrots, chilli and onion. Stir to combine and add in the turmeric coated cucumber ( squeeze the water out first ) and cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste and see if more sugar or salt needed then remove from heat.


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Johor Month ) hosted by Annie of Annielicious Food

28 comments:

  1. Yes this is a simple version compare to nyonya acar if you want something quick. If I make nyonya acar I will make a huge batch and keep it for a few months in the fridge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is my favorite acar, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, this version does sound easier but i am sure it tastes just as good. Acars are just so appetising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena
    I have not try making acar before eventhough I love eating this; would love to try this easy pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this dish, acar is always very appetizing one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acar...is my favo dish.Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vivid color and the texture looks gorgeous , Lena ! I love pickled veggies :D It sure looks very appetizing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This type of acar is very good with curries and nasi minyak. I love it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this appetizing and colorful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good and I am sure we would love this. I have bookmarked, thanks. Have a great weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love salad including acar. However not making any so far :P Lazy as only myself having the acar. Looking at your acar tempting to make some. Easy n fast version acar. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, I am salivating once I saw the title ACAR appeared on the screen. haha....
    Hey, happy weekend to you. School holidays almost over and again we ladies starts busy with kids.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! This is almost a must have when eating chicken rice over here in Sg! Never thought if making it my own...maybe I should! Thumbs up! ����

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this simple way of making acar. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me smile
    By your nice post
    Pickled Veg Johor Style
    One dish I love most
    Have a lovely weekend
    From Dreamer your friend

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE LOVE LOVE nonya achar, and when I make it, I make sure I make a huge batch, though unfortunately I finish it too fast anyway. What I don't love about it, is how tedious it is, drying each ingredient before pickling. really keen to try this johor style of achar, the colours look amazing, and I imagine it tastes pretty amazing too! DOubt anything can take the place of nonya achar in my heart, but I;m pretty sure there could be space for 2 types of achar! :) Thanks for sharign this, learnt something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember as a kid I used to buy lots of this kind of pickled veggies. Very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena,
    Your lovely acar would go very well with nasi briyani! Crunch, crunch, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena! Your acar reminds me of my wonderful Malay Wedding dinner that I had last Saturday... The memories still linger... Both thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know achar is so easy to make! Good for my taste buds that is liking sour food these days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi everyone, thanks for coming by to leave a comment. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena, one of the most refreshing and appetizing spicy salad. I made this very often too, I usually make big batch and keep in the fridge. :))

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,
    I am a Acar fan too.
    This sound easy to make yet look yum yum!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  24. This style of achar is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple and yummy! I am certainly missing this dish from my fave nasi lemak makcik in my hometown in Johor.

    ReplyDelete