Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blackberry Turnovers


After making the cheat turnovers for our Bake Along,  i made these more proper turnovers the next day..if not, Joyce and Zoe may kick me out from the group :D  Initially i wanted to use the same pastry dough that i had used for my hand pies before, then i thought of trying another recipe out from the book which i just got not long ago.  This dough meant to be flaky but i dont really find it as flaky as how i wanted it to be..like a shortcrust pastry. It is still nice anyway in terms of taste but one thing, i find it so difficult to manage the dough. The dough gets soft so easily and i feel like dumping the whole dough away! Quite frustrating actually as it took up so much more time to complete the shaping and everything because i had to keep chilling the dough again and again. I dont think i will be using this recipe again in future..but i will still list the recipe down..perhaps some of you have better hands than mine and works better in colder countries. By the way, the blackberry filling is nice too, sweet..not sour.




Recipe ( from The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book )
Pastry Dough
200gm all purpose /plain flour
1tbsp sugar
1/4tsp salt
125gm unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3tbsp ice water, plus more if needed

Method:
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse 5 or 6 times until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the 3 tbsps water thru the feed tube, pulsing once after each addition and adding just enough to make a crumbly dough, it will not hold together on its own but will when gathered into a ball with your hands. If the dough is dry, mix in more water 1 tbsp at a time. ( i put in 4 tbsp altogether).

Transfer the dough to a work surface, flatten into a disk and roll it out.  You can choose to use it right away but i cant, the dough is quite soft so i put it in the fridge for about 30 mins. I used a drinking glass to cut out the dough into rounds.

Filling

2 cups blackberries ( i hv used frozen ones )
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt

egg wash for surface ( optional )

In a bowl, toss the blackberries, cornstarch, sugar and salt. (As i've have used frozen berries, there were a lot of water and juices drawing out from the berries after some time, so i seived out the liquid ). Divide the blackberries evenly among the dough rounds and then fold the dough over the filling to form the shape. Press the edges to seal and apply egg wash.  Refrigerate the turnovers on the baking sheet until the dough is firm, about 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 190C. Bake until golden brown about 40 minutes, transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.


get the InLinkz code

24 comments:

  1. Hi Lena
    That is something different in using blackberries. It is not frequent that we can get blackberries but I would love to indulge this. Looks really yummy as I like any berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,
    Patience girl, patience! That's what I told myself when handling the pastry! Hahaha! Blame it all on our hot weather!
    Despite all that, your turnovers looks fantastic! Blackberries are so expensive! I thought of making some savoury ones, but I think I surrender for now!
    And no, we would not kick you out! We are not that nice! We'll find a way to punish you, maybe...!!! ^~^ hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, I have a recipe from Giada making this kind of turnover, I was planning to bake some, but I'm start getting busy again.. So I skip that. I love to try yours Lena, must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its the weather that makes it hard to handle the pastry, totally understand your frustration! The filling really does look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,

    You freeze the pastry overnight, it might be easier for you to work on it. I did mine on hot summer day too and glad that mine survive :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry... I was saying freezing the pastry and thawing it overnight or let it rest in the fridge overnight :p

      Delete
  6. If the dough didn't turn out good in your hands, it will be worse in mine. As long as it tasted good, lena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your turnovers really turn me on lol They look pretty yummy with its light brown crust and gooey filling ! That's also my gripe when shaping pastry , too easy to get soft esp during hot days :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lena, I rarely have blackberry, in fact, I forgot how it tastes like now, is it similar to raspberries? Like these turnovers. Good effort too for making another batch, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, you've no idea how much I love & enjoy pastry like this. Absolutely mouthwatering.
    Have a lovely evening.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm berries version look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lena! Cheat or no cheat, they both look very good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blackberry filling looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, our hot weather doesn't help. I wonder if anyone try making pastry in a cold room. Hah! Hah! I remember the cold room at the science lab and that would be a perfect place to make puff pastry. Anyway, you did well. Your turnovers look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aha.... finally , lol... I love you guys so much. Always makes me drooling..... huhuhuhuhu... there goes my diet plan . huhuhuhu... Can I have a bite ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. blackberries and blueberries are my boys favorite fruit. I can so see myself making these for them for breakfast one morning! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena, it's tough handling pastry dough in this hot weather, but yours still turn out good. Blackberry filling looks yummy, wish i could have a bite, have never tried one with blackberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh from William Sonoma...probably the ang mo weather better, not as hot and sweaty like us, so their soft dough easier to handle. :P That's what I find out too, or maybe the cup measurement for flour is more? Lol! Ignore my nonsensical mumbling...I still love how your turnovers turned out! Love how the berry juice oozing out...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Appreciate you sharing your experience and telling us the truth, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, love the blackberries filling, look delicious. Out humid weather, this kind of pastry usually melt very fast especially now March/April is extremely hot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    Black berries filling sounds good.
    Luckily you did not dump your pastry dough or else we will not be seeing this yummy blackberries turnover.
    Love both version of your turnover: )
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena, next time try deep frying it. It is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it when the recipe calls for blackberries (frozen or fresh). not too keen with the jams.

    ReplyDelete