Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Polvorones for Chinese New Year


I am so tired as i'm writing this post now. I'm sure many of you here including myself are busy baking cookies for the coming chinese new year. Though i dont really bake that much, maybe one or 2 batches every other day, i am already feeling exhausted at the end of the day. Where has all my stamina gone? Baking cookies is tiring! I went out with a friend  last week and she commented that i've looked tanned. It is actually true, i see myself gone 'tanner' too.  I wonder has it got anything to do with the oven...oven-tan. Silly me , i even went and checked from the internet whether we can get tan from the oven.. The more i read, the more i laughed..some commented that yes, we can get oven tan..just set the temperature to the highest and lay ourselves on the rack and dont forget to preheat the oven! Haha!


This is one of the cookies that i made few days ago, Polvorones, a type of traditional Spanish shortbread cookies. I have never knew the existence of this cookie until i saw them at Alvin's blog, Chef and Sommelier recently. Apart from the pretty looking cookies, what makes me want to bake them is that it just involves 4 ingredients, 4 simple ingredients. These polvorones are fabulous, very nice, they are buttery and comes with a soft crunchy texture. Quite like a shortbread but softer. Alvin, if you're reading this, thank you and also please say thank you to your wife for me. I like them very much. It was alvin's wife who actually baked them and alvin shared the recipe with us. Again, i will be baking another batch very soon as you can see, this is just a small recipe. Although i'm tired, i'm not totally drained out yet. Give it a try, have some spanish cookies too for chinese new year! Happy baking!





Recipe ( from Chef and Sommelier , adapted from the book Okashi Sweet Love )
makes around 16 polvorones
Ingredients
110gm pastry flour/plain flour ( sifted )
100gm unsalted butter, softened
40gm icing sugar
50gm ground almond

Method:
1.Preheat oven at 150C and bake sifted flour for 25mins. Stir occasionally while baking, then remove from oven and leave to cool. Keep oven heated.
2.Beat butter and icing sugar until soft, add ground almonds and mix well. Add flour to the batter and mix with a spatula until a smooth dough forms. ( i sifted the toasted flour again before adding to the batter as i find the flour turned a little lumpy after toasting)
3.Roll dough out into 10mm or your desired thickness (in between two sheets of plastic wrap) and cut out using your preferred cookie cutter and place them on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20-25minutes, remove from oven and cool on a wiring rack. To serve, dust with icing sugar and store in an airtight container to keep them crisp.

* notes*  if you find that the dough is a little cumbly to roll,  roll them in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.

I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover

50 comments:

  1. Lena, I will be baking these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another easy recipe, will save them for next year's CNY. Don't want to bake anymore cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, how much of similarities between this cookie and our chinese almond cookies? After seeing your Pork Jerky, now I'm hesitating whether to make them or not, aiyoh, if I do, I'll give 1/2 to my mother-in-law! I've updated my blog yesterday & won't renew until next week, so, are you all ready for the CNY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jessie, this is very different from the chinese almond cookies..Infact the taste of the almonds are almost undetectable, instead a buttery cookies just like those buttery shortbread but softer in texture. I'm ready for cny! not much preparation actually, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family!

      Delete
  4. lena, akak pinjam pesanan Uncle AL untuk lena pulak ya, "please rehat bila penat.."

    whether ada cookies or not, raya tetap datang juga hehehe...

    I can imagine how tired you are lena, since I dah masuk umur veteran ni, akak dah slow down baking cookies for Hari Raya...kalau tak nanti Hari Raya orang semua jalan2 sukaria tapi kita terbongkang penat atas katil hahaah

    neway, kalau raya takder cookies? apa lah maknanya...kan?
    apa pun moga lena dapat bahagikan masa untuk diri sendiri juga ya.
    Happy Chinese New Year to you and all at home lena...hugs and kisses to your twins tu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kak, actually tahun lepas i pun tak ada buat apa2 cookies ..only this year feel like baking some.. tapi memang tiring ..kena jaga itu cookies all the time, shaping , that;s why very tiring. I pun baru jumpa dengan doctor 2 days ago, my throat started to feel uncomfortable...thanks for your wishes!!

      Delete
  5. 4 ingredients cookies I like, but I think I need to wait till next year. I want to stop baking cookies, but bake cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what cake are you going to bake next? looking forward to see it!

      Delete
  6. Sweet looking cookies, me buy, no make :p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i need to buy some pineapple tarts! still havent bought yet!

      Delete
  7. These look great. I've never made anything similar to these before so am curious as to their taste and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena! I'm glad that you tried and like this recipe. So now you can SEE and EAT!

    Thanks for linking back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, now i can eat, can smell and can touch! yay!

      Delete
  9. Yums. I like your cookie jar :) eh...you have always been tanned *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can get oven tan mer? No wonder I look more tan now, hahaha.. Have to keep this recipe for next year lor

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehe...you're so right..I think most of us are in baking marathon! I've been baking all kinds of cookies too, both Asian ones and french Macarons. YOur polvorones look lovely, flaky and delicious. I would love to try to make them next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi amy, thanks for dropping by. Hope you will like it and i;ll be visiting you back soon!

      Delete
  12. Haha I think I got oven tan also from the recent baking... :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! I made this recently but cut down on the sugar as I made it for the furkid and hubby to share:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to see your post on this. Posting kah?

      Delete
  14. That looks like a melt in your mouth cookie- very shortbread like. On top of that, so little ingredients! I had to re-read the bit that you said u had a tan from the oven! U must be so busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..not so sure actually, just a guess..LOL!

      Delete
  15. Hi lena,
    Your cookies looks wonderful, I love shortbread and I know that I would like this too! Maybe I'll give it a try, after CNY! Wow, there are so many recipes to try after CNY!
    Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Joyce!! happy balik kampung!

      Delete
  16. Oven-tan is safer anyway ! lol I'm planning to bake these as well when I saw it at Alvin's blog but haven't got around in making it yet ( as always :P ) :D They sure look delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are really quite fast to make, try them soon!

      Delete
  17. Pol-vo-rones? This cookies look marvelous and the recipe sounds simple. First time hearing the name though :)

    I don't remember names, I just eat and eat and eat, haha! You were tired? I was about to ask you to take our order and bake. I'll glad to be your first customer :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really salute those who bake cookies for sale.. i cannot tahan that!

      Delete
  18. I always say something sweet helps me sleep! Maybe you nibbled on too many of these delicious cookies Lena, I certainly would have. In fact it's a good thing you don't live next door - I would probably be standing outside your door looking for a hand out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh chris, you are lucky that im not living next door to you too! otherwise you get fed up with seeing my face all the time. would love to be your helper if only that's possible :)

      Delete
  19. Its looks like the melt-in-the-mouth cookie. so well baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks chris and happy chinese new year to you!

      Delete
  20. Yep I saw this in Alvin's blog too but I absolutely refuse to pay for the price height in almond meal so I am waiting this out. Yours looks just as good as Alvin's...Gong Xi Fa Cai to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, the price of our almond meal stays the same, still got plenty of them too!

      Delete
  21. I love the softness of the texture. Looks pretty scrumptious.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did little baking before this CNY, but very likely I woul get sun tan in K.L. next week : ).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,
    I love shortbread.

    Me and my itchy hands.. I baked this 3 days ago.
    I am glad it is what I like.
    Will share in my blog soon.

    Thanks for sharing:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  24. Always over eat on cookies during CNY but then if you let me, I care less but will "sapu" all your polvorones!!

    ReplyDelete