Monday, January 28, 2013

Chocolate Streusel-Ribboned Cake


Here we are at our 14th bake at The Home Bakers ( THB) where we are currently baking from the book, Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert PappasLouanne from Louanne's Kitchen has picked this chocolate streusel ribboned bundt cake for the group to bake, as i had intention of scaling down the recipe to half, i decided not to use my 10cup capacity bundt pan. I used a 6 inch round pan instead. Why it's called a streusel ribboned cake is because the streusels are scattered and layered in between the cakes in which they are supposed to look ribbon-like pattern through the cake. I was actually quite excited when i cut the cake, hoping that the streusels did not turn up looking a mess inside the cake. That's because the streusels worked out to be quite a lot for me and to finish up the streusels, i've layered it 2 times across the cake and also put some remaining ones on top of the cake Now looking back at the photographs, i think they look like wave lines to me but they actually look quite pretty to me. I did however, find that the streusels are a little sweet and not chocolatey for me, perhaps adding some chocolate chips onto the toppings can bring in more chocolate goodness for me :D



Recipe
Chocolate Streusels
14gms cold butter
1.5tbsp plain flour
33gm brown sugar
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1oz chopped walnuts

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Rub the butter in with fingers till crumbly, stir in the nuts and set aside.

Cake Batter
60gm butter
65g caster sugar
100gm eggs
1/2tsp vanilla extract
112 gm plain flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup yogurt

For full recipe, please visit Louanne's blog and to view everyones' bakes, click here
 
Method:
1. Cream the butter and sugar till light , add the eggs in 2 addition and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2.In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with yogurt in 2 increments, blending until smooth. Pour a layer of batter into the prepared pan, spreading until smooth, sprinkle with a layer of streusels, follow by another layer of batter and streusel. Add the remaining batter, spread until smooth and sprinkle remaining streusels on top of the batter.
3.Bake for 35-40mins or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20mins and unmould the cake.



34 comments:

  1. Your cake is so beautifully baked. Look so moist in the texture and the streusel added makes the cake taste extra yum in it. I think I prefer the streusel ingredients as it is instead of added extra chocolate chips because I don't like too gooey for my cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, this must be a very delish cake. I like your wave lines :) Will take note of the streusel if I decide to bake this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the layers and the crunch texture of the crumble at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lena, tu wave lines nampak cantik! and the cake pun nampak soft and moist!
    aaaannndddd.......my tummy pun will keep on bigger and bigger (buncit!)...

    akak nak try yam abacus bead pun tak sempat lagi...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesJanuary 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

    Hi Lena, looks soft and best to go with coffee. Pretty looking with the waves: )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lena, I love your streusel layer, it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cake with streusel as layers looks beautiful and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena! So you are with Zoe and others doing the Lou Seibert Pappas version of the "Jule and Julia" thingy?! I admire you all for the energy level and commitment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can smell this cake from here. It looks terrificly moist and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever to layer the struesel twice..It gives a pretty effect and catches attention to it. Looks moist, Lena..btw..BBW aftermath is on Feb 28th..coming??? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! i know ..that you know who sudah lapur dekat i!!

      Delete
  11. Looks good, Lena..i like cakes with streusel topping, looks very marbly and moist and buttery. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay , yours is my 4th cake of the night :D Love the wavy pattern of the streusel . The cake looks very moist and soft . You can never go wrong with more chocolate :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena,
    Your cake looks gorgeous with the "triple-storey" streusel! Haha! And the texture of your cake looks beautifully moist and tender. Lovely cake! I had this with some chinese tea, and would indeed be lovely with some hot steaming Pak-kopi-O!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cake. Looks nice too baked in a round cake pan instead of a bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A huge piece of this delicious cake would make me really happy right now!!!
    Hugs,dear Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks yummy and I will try it out, maybe I will put chocolate icing on top:-) Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Waaa... your cake has double ribbon ! LOVELY! Now why didn't I think of that! LOL Seriously it does look awesome & yes, I greed that more chocolate chips will be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hei Lena - your double ribbon-ed cake looks amazing. We didn't make any kind of ribbon cake until now, let alone a double one.
    But we'll follow in your footsteps some time. :)

    I hope everything is fine with you!
    Cheers. :)
    Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, this cake is making me drool. I can't look away!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cake is beautiful and it looks good for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena,
    I've been looking for this recipe in my dreams! Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Certainly saw 2 obvious and pretty lines there which also look pretty to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you so much for all of your compliments and encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lena,

    I should have know... I shouldn't use sour cream for this recipe. *sign*

    Your cake looks like Mich's which has a nice fluffy texture. I should have read your post first before baking mine... *sign* - again

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Lena...Lena, you had me drooling on this cake. Wish I can have some right away. :o)
    Gosh, just how much I missed my oven.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the look of this cake! the crumbs are so fine and so moist! will try this when I have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lena, beautiful cake, very well baked. Wish i can have 1 BIG slice now. :)
    Got coffee for me? LOL

    Best regards.


    ReplyDelete
  28. This is my kind of cake , love the toppings.,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena,
    I love your cake.
    You baked it so well. It looks moist and with the lovely double ribboned effect.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Lena,
    I just baked this cake on Sunday and it was delicious. I love your streusel effect and your cake definitely looks very moist compared to mine.

    ReplyDelete