Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Braised Chicken with Chestnuts (栗子焖鸡 )


I believe most chinese are quite familiar with this dish. Previously when i cooked this the first time i got those chestnuts from the market, i got to crack the shells, peel and skin it..maybe there's an easy way of doing that but i didnt know and it was quite a painful job for me to skin the nuts and then i was like throwing away some too..those which were hard for me to skin them but now i find a much more easier way to cook this dish. Use this.




So the package says "Roasted Peeled Chestnuts". You can just eat this straight from the packet as these are already cooked. Ever since i discovered these, i have cooked this a couple of times. The weight of this package is 128gms, actually it's less than that and i have used 1.5 packet to cook this. Of course then, you can just use 1 packet if you prefer less chestnuts. Also if you have ginger wine, use it in replacement of chinese cooking wine, i find that it's more aromatic but now i have no more ginger wine in the house, so the chinese cooking wine will do.


Ingredients
200gm peeled chestnuts from the packet
3/4 of a chicken ( mine about 700 gms) , cut into pieces
1 small piece ginger  30gm, sliced
1 stalk green onion/spring onion, sectioned
1tbsp oyster sauce
1tsp sesame oil
chinese cooking wine or ginger wine
1/8 tsp of dark soya sauce
1/4tsp chicken powder ( optional )
1/2 tsp salt and pinch of sugar
3/4 cup of water

Method:
1. Marinate the chicken with 1/2tsp salt, 1/2 tsp light soy sauce and 1tsp cornflour for about 30 mins.
2. Deep fry in hot oil till they are cooked. Remove the chicken, leaving about 2-3 tbsps oil in the wok.
3.Put the chestnuts in and fry them for a minute, add in the ginger slices and the white parts of the spring onion and saute them for half a minute. Sizzle some wine ( just a cap from the bottle ) Add in the chicken pieces, oyster sauce, sesame oil , dark soya sauce ,and stir fry for a while. You can splash in a little water around the sides of the wok. Add chicken powder ( is using ), salt and sugar , and pour in the water. Let them cook and simmer  for about 15-20 minutes. Taste and see if you need more salt or sugar. Add spring onion and lastly pour in another cap of cooking wine, mix well. Off fire and remove from wok.

51 comments:

  1. Hi Lena, Happy New Year! Looks like a delicious, comfort dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lena, this dish very appetizing, need extra rice. :)

    If you buy the chestnut from the market, you have to boil it until cook then only peel the shell and skin or else you'll have a hard time...

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was very long ago that i actually cant remember did i boil it or not..all i knew i was having a tough time cleaning and peeling the skins:)

      Delete
  3. Lena, I made this same dish two days ago. I even bought the same packet of chestnuts ha ha great mind think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way you need to roast or boil the chestnut first before peeling it but I prefer using this ready peel one from the packet. Make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena,
    Wow, your chicken dish looks very delicious! I have bought this packet of chestnut before, cooked it with chicken too! wink!
    And it is very good eaten straight from the packet, I could easily finish the pack! The last time I had any ginger wine was during my last confinement, a decade ago! Yes, a good idea to use ginger wine in cooking. Very "hiong"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i believe most of us will not purposely go and get a bottle of ginger wine unless..confinement!! haha!

      Delete
  6. Very smart of you to use the ready packed Roasted Peeled Chestnuts in this dish. This can be one of the dish on the table for Chinese New Year reunion dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena! CNY comes early?

    I like to have the gravy with rice... Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chef, actually i'm quite afraid of cny..lots of shopping needs to be done and cooking like mad but for the past few years, my cooking for cny has actually scaled down a lot :))

      Delete
  8. You know my MIL is just like the "old you"...chestnut from the market, boil and peel. Even when we told her about these ready packages, she refused to use, say not fresh or not sweet. *faint* great idea an I will definitely do this way too! Thanks for this recipe, I will definitely cook this soon, looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! lots of old folks are like that:) hope you will like this home cooked dish.

      Delete
  9. Hi Lena
    This dish looks real appetizing....and most of all I loves chestnuts. I got to look for this packet of chestnuts first. Yum....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, this dish looks delicious! I have tried the packet chestnuts and I think they are more suitable for cooking. The freshly roasted ones are better for eating straight. Will give the packet chestnuts another chance by cooking this yummy dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yeah..the other time i tried the freshly roasted ones near genting ..those were really nice and they were freshly hot too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Lena, my kids love the chestnuts with chicken. Usually i buy the chestnuts fresh, never knew they came in packs as such...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope the supermarkets there carry this product, then you can see whether you like them or not:)

      Delete
  12. Lena! Genius! I snack out of those chestnut packs but never thought of using it in braised chicken. I'm going to attempt this- maybe without deep frying the chicken but I'm going to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah! I have those ready packed chestnut lying in my cabinet and I have yet to consume it. Now I know what I can do with it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh really? you hv time to cook or not?? :D

      Delete
  14. this chicken looks outstanding! I HAVE to make this!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A classic, Lena. The chicken looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice dish. Would love that for dinner....mmmm. I love chestnuts, especially in 'zhang'. These days I use ready peeled frozen chestnuts, very convenient. But then my family doesn't like it....hmmm. Never mind, I'll enjoy it alone. No one to fight with me :P Hope you have a great start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, Mary! oh yes, i love chestnuts in zhong too!

      Delete
  17. Hi Lena,

    I always buy the "giant chestnuts" when they in season in May onwards. We always poke a few holes and bake them in the oven and they are always nice and creamy to eat. I don't our hands are painful at all peeling them... I guess all that we are thinking is to eat them all... LOL! These might be a different variety of chestnuts, I guess...

    Your chicken chestnut dish look yummy! I love to cook this too when the chestnut season arrives in May.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. giant chestnuts must be very big then!!hope you will like this dish too!

      Delete
  18. Lena , that braised chicken looks very tasty ! In this side of the world , besides whole chestnuts , we can buy some that are already peeled or the one that I usually buy are semi-peeled :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. semi peeled? i hvnt come across that:)

      Delete
  19. Lena, this dish looks good, imagine eating with a bowl of rice, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you continue to amaze me with your recipes. the idea of chestnuts and chicken sound amazing- especially braised!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your dish is making me miss my mom's cooking badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy new year, edith! hope you are good. I hope you will be back to blog soon!

      Delete
  22. A very delicious dish that I can't resist although my sons are not into the nuts...more for me:D ready peeled is the way to go as with so many other ready mixes which I find very convenient:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah..i know you....and i'm also like you..we want something to fast to make and convenient!

      Delete
  23. Ooh I saw those packet of chestnuts before, never thought of using them for cooking. Will try that! Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never seen those pre-roasted chestnuts before. When I cooked this dish, I used the dried chestnuts. Must try your version too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. you just remind me that i have a same pack of this chestnut in my pantry, earlier thinking to make bread, hehehe..this dish need more rice to go with it, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooo...a lovely dish to cook for CNY! must tell u-know-who to cook this for us. yum yum.

    ReplyDelete