Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blueberry Cream Cheese Ice Cream


I finally found some space to freeze my ice cream maker bowl! Have been delaying and delaying to make ice cream ..reason is there's no space in my freezer to freeze the bowl. It's my first time using my ice cream maker which i had bought many months ago. Well of course we can still make ice cream without an ice cream maker but i just want to make use of something that i had already spent money buying it. Then i saw you, you and you making ice cream..LOL! i've filed quite a number of ice cream recipes that some of you made but for now, let's take a look at this one. I saw Fern making this blueberry cream cheese ice cream sometime back and  i know i'm gonna make it some day..just a matter of time..and the time is here. There's no cooking involved as this is a non custard based ice cream.. and yet it's rich and creamy...not 'jelak' ok..:D The ice cream is also layered with some blueberries compote which i find that it's really nice altogether. Alternatively as what Fern suggested, you can also make some other fruit compotes..like strawberries, passionfruit..etc. So good..try it, i'm sure you will love this too!

Left: The ice cream mixture just after blended and ready to chill
Right : Mixture after churned the next day. As i've have used a wide and shallow dish, i spreaded the compote in one layer only. If you used a smaller and deeper container, you can do multiple layers.


Recipe ( from To Food With Love )
Ingredients for ice cream
250gm cream cheese
11/4cup heavy cream/dairy whipping cream
3/4cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh milk ( i used 1/2 cup full cream milk )
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
11/2tbsp lemon juice

Blueberry Compote
11/4cup fresh/frozen berries ( i used 1 punnet/1cup)
3-3.5tbsp sugar ( taste to adjust )
1tbsp lemon juice
1tsp cornflour +1tbsp water

Method:
In a food processor or stand mixer ( i used stand mixer with paddle attachment) , blend the cheese and cream till well combined. Add the sugar and blend again. Add the milk and blend till smooth and creamy, scarping out any cheese stuck to the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, blend till well mixed. Pour into a container and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Blueberry Compote
Combine berries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan on medium heat and bring to boil. Simmer for 8-10mins until blueberries are soft and mushy. Roughly mash or break up the blueberries with spatula. Add in  the cornstarch solution to thicken the compote. Turn off the heat and transfer the compote into a heatproof bowl. Let it cool and refrigerated until needed.

Remove the ice cream from fridge and churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker machine according to manufacturer's instructions.

In a freeze safe container, place 1/3 of the churned ice cream , followed by 1/3 of the blueberry compote. Repeat this layering process until finished. Freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours before serving.

Note* i have used a combination of Philadephia cream cheese and light cream cheese for the above as i have some leftover cream cheese which i used for making a creamcheese pound cake which will be shared later.


40 comments:

  1. Adoi! Pagi-pagi already got ice cream and I cannot resist coming over to check it out! Looks good lah, Lena. I also want to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! This was most definitely time well spent! I just wish I could take a spoon through the screen. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job lena, i also just bought an ice cream maker lately, thanks for inspire me to try out soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, yummy yummy!!! The ice-cream looked so tempting.. Blueberry... Cheese...:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy and rich ice cream. Hee....no space in your freezer? If you are so craving to and must have this ice cream again, you will find that space no matter what, hee...hee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I've never tried to make ice cream with cheese cream before and this looks tempting. Will definitely try this soon.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good, Lena. Now I feel like making it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, I don't like to drink milk but I love ice cream a lot.. why is it so? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    Finally, I was wondering about the "long vacation" of your ice cream maker! Haha!
    Your ice cream looks so delicious! Love the blueberries! Drooling already!
    What's next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year 2013 to you, Lena.

    Homemade ice cream isn't that fattening right? I assume so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's kinda cold for ice-cream over here but the idea of combining cream cheese and blueberry in ice-cream sounds very exciting! How I wish I could taste (lick) a sample? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are so well captured and making me drool over the delicious ice cream.
    Happy new year to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow.. very nice! skrg ni musim hujan la.. tak leh nak buat lagi.. KIV dulu :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creamy and rich enough, isn't it? And I like the blueberries and cheese combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Frozen ice cream by Frozen Wings?! Must be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow....yummy :)
    I love blueberry ice-cream but must wait till i lost another few kgs, hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow now that's a PERFECT ice cream! I need to make some this summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be on cloud 9 if I can get hold of some of your ice-cream now, i won't be greedy, one scoop will do. I love ice-cream and yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my..lau how sui already. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena , your ice cream looks creamy and pretty SCRUMPTIOUS ! I bet it tastes DIVINE ?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gelare has a simple version but i think YOURS looks so much better. As u know, I love making ice cream so I am bookmarking this and making it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks SO good. I would love to try it, never made a cheesecake ice cream before!

    ReplyDelete
  23. eileen, hundred eighty degreesJanuary 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

    I've been seeing so many of our friends making ice cream, and I must tell you that out of a sudden I have a strong urge to invest on an ice cream maker after seeing your ice cream... really...no joke ....Lol ..what's the model you get? May I know how.much? Your ice cream looks so so good: )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yoo hoo, Lena.. your ice cream is so creamy and I love the ripple. Err..you really tempt me ler..I have whipping cream, I have the milk, I have cream cheese and I have blueberries.. and my ice cream maker bowl is already freezing in the freezer! I can oso make hoh. aiya now you really had me la. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena, I am drooling over your ice cream, looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like a great indulgence for the new year! I need to get some space in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh gosh! Look so good! What better ways to start the new year with a big bowl of ice cream! Yum yum! Love blueberry & cream cheese combo..:))

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Blueberry and Cream Cheese, interesting ice cream flavour! I shall bookmark this as well and wait for the day I have space for my freezer to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummy combination...have always love cheese and ice cream....with blueberries compote this ice cream is sure a winner! I have yet to succumb to the urge to get an ice cream maker lol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My ice cream bowl have been sitting in the freezer for too long. Initially was very hot, made few times of matcha ice cream, but now too lazy to make , hahaha..thanks for reminding me this lovely recipe from Fern.

    ReplyDelete
  31. waaaa i must go buy ice cream maker soon! cream cheese + blueberries can never go wrong... cakes, pies, ice cream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi everyone, thanks so much! it's very nice, hope some of you will give it a try .

    @ eileen: im using Kenwood IM280 model, not too expensive, about RM300. As you can read, this is my first time using it, so far okay:) i'm alraedy thinking of making another type of ice cream !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Right now this is perhaps the most soothing thing that my sandpaper throat would love to have!

    ReplyDelete
  34. FABULOUS, simply fabulous, oh how I wish I had a bowl of this right now. Do you do take out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lena, just to let you know I've moved blogs due to some issues with my previous platform. My new blog URL is www.eatapieceofcake.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aiyo, sounds so yummy, what a treat. Unfortunately i can only eat with my eyes, coz my sis told me i've put on weight from the christmas and new year feasting GAHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow Lena, this cream cheese and blueberry ice cream looks delicious, creamy and refreshing at the same time...
    Happy New Year and have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Lena,

    Happy 2013! I realised this ice cream recipe is really good because you don't have to cook this custard. Just mix... that's it! Maybe I can try the low fat version :D

    Btw, good luck with the chocolate cake baking! Remember... don't over-bake!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Lena, your ice cream is perfect for our hot and humid weather. Cream cheese and blueberries are the best pairing. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Lena
    Thanks for trying the recipe and linking back. I've made it a few times and it never lasts long :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete