Thursday, December 6, 2012

Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas


Cook Like A Star blog hop event is back with Martha Stewart, the nominated chef for the month of December. For those of you who are new to this event, it is a blog hop whereby a chef will be nominated and based on the nominated chef, we will be cooking his or her recipes and then link it back to the event.
I'm sure everyone if not, most of us know who Martha Stewart is but not until this event, that i really took a look at her website. I must say that she really has an extensive list of recipes in her website..and then from one recipes it leads to another. With so many recipes to choose from, I actually got no problem finding something to make. It's only time..not that i'm very busy but as year end is approaching, i'm getting lazier and lazier and already in holiday mood. Will see.


Picked a few quick recipes to make and this is one of them. I always enjoy eating tortillas and quickly grab my hands to make this while i was still have the mood to make something. If you look at the picture in martha's site, there's a jar accompanying these quesadillas but it didnt mention what was that. Some said that it's salsa verde and i thought of making that too, bought the ingredients but forgot to make them. I only remembered after eating the quesadillas! Told you i'm in holiday mood..ha!But even without the salsa, i still enjoy eating these a lot. Btw, i just knew that Martha Stewart turned 70 last year when i was googling for her recipes on the website. Doesnt she look amazing at her age? i thought maybe she looks like 15-20 years younger!

Ingredients ( from marthastewart.com )
amount of ingredients was altered to serve 2-3 
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
11/2 cup button or cremini mushroom, thinly sliced ( i used white button)
3 cups spinach, roughly cut or torn
coarse salt and pepper
4 flour tortillas
shredded cheese ( i used cheddar )
canola oil

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 400F/205C. In a skillet or pan over medium heat, pour a little oil and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until light golden. Add the mushrooms, cook until they are tender about 5 minutes.
2.Add spinach, let cook until completely wilted and mixture is dry, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3.Brush one side of tortilla with some oil and place oiled side down on a baking sheet. Layer each tortilla with cheese, spinach mixture and more cheese, dividing evenly.Top with another piece of tortilla, oiled sides up and lightly press to seal. Do the same for the remaining 2 pieces of tortilla.
4.Bake until cheese is melted, turning them once, about 10 minutes. To serve, cut quesadillas into quarters or  more.


I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, co hosting with Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out and Riceball of Riceball Eats
and also Recipe Box 26 hosted by Chaya

32 comments:

  1. Hi Lena,

    Although I'm a fan of Martha Stewart cooking, I don't really wish to be like her. However, for some reason, I would wish to be 20-25 years younger when I'm 70! LOL!

    Love the nice and easy vegetarian Quesadilla that you have cooked. You know I like vegetarian food...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,
    Like you, i am getting lazee too :) This looks like a quick, easy and healthy lunch. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena! Your quesadillas look so light and yumy. Especially now when I have not taken my breakfast yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, Lena! I love eating tortillas and the filling with mushrooms and spinach sounds very good! I was browsing thru her website and have actually bookmarked close to 50 recipes! Haha! It is not that I'm making them all this month, just that, like what you said, one recipe leads to another! So many, and don't know which one to make first! Sometimes, less choices are the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy :)
    Can i have a slice please, heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't mind, I want two slices.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, Martha Stewart is 70 years old??!! I didn't know that and had thought she's in her early 50's!

    I love tortilla and yours is not exceptional! Yummy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi lena, I am a big fan of quesadillas too... easy and so delicious. I love the filling of your quesadillas... I am also feeling lazy in cooking and baking too hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so special, tortillas with the filling of mushrooms and spinach. Yummy and healhty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have never know she turned 70!! She is still churning out ideas and recipes like nothing!

    I love this simple recipe. as the weather gets warmer, i don't feel like cooking as much either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didnt know Martha Stewart was 70 already! Oh my, she certainly ages very well. Your quesadillas looks great... I love the oozy cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena , I love her site as well ! Loads of simple and easy recipes , no doubt you'll be spoilt for choice :D .... Love this simple recipe , great when you feel quiet lazy to cook but still need some yummy and healthy sustenance !

    Wouldn't it be nice if we all look that great when we hit 70 ?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to make tortilla wraps but havent tried to make it into quesadillas, maybe i should eat it in different way and try this instead of sticking to the wrap

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ur quesadilla looks perfect... Drooling ... Lov ur space... Hapi to follow u.. Glad to follow u..

    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, this is so good. I just had these at Chilies Rest here yesterday. Yours as good as theirs. So, you visiting KL? BBW sale is on and it's 24 hours till Sunday? wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have a few tortillas in the freezer, this is a perfect lunch recipe to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, your tortillas great for quickie lunch. Love to have it with extra cheese. :)

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't recall when I had tortilla, seldom cook western meal except pasta.. This sound yummy .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love-love these! Looks light & tasty! Perfect for brunch ! I've so many recipes that I've bookmarked from MS that I don't even know where to start! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the quesadillas! They are good for a quick bite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. zoe: ha! i wish that i would still be able to hold the spatula and wok when i reach 70:D

    ade: yeah, i'm so lazy these few weeks ..i think i will take a break soon..

    chef: thank you and thanks for visiting.

    joyce: 50 recipes??! wow, i've bookmarked quite a number too, not sure if i can make them all..

    cass: thanks! how are you?

    claire: claire, this one very easy, no baking involved, i'm sure you can handle this :)

    yvonne: that's what i thought too!

    mich: thanks! but i always think that you are very hardworking to bake and cook :D like your banana cookies too!

    yan: i'm sure you will enjoy these too if you dont mind the cheese:D

    daphne: yeah and she still looks very charming at her age!

    yen: she certainly knows how to keep herself looking that good!

    anne: yeah, i also love her sandwiches section, makes me so hungry looking at those ! oh yes, hope we can age gracefully as MS when we reach 70!

    steph: if you like tortillas, i'm sure you will love this too, it's pretty much the same but istead of wrapping and rolling it, we fold it:)

    subhie: thanks for coming by, will visit you soon!

    jen: yeah, hope i can make it to the BBW sale! they open 3 days non stop..so you going there in your pyjamas?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. angie: you will enjoy these!

    amelia: yes, quick to make and quick to finish!

    sonia: thanks, sonia.

    kit: i'm i will be seeing many of your entries this month!Happy baking!

    cheah: actually they are quite filling too:)

    riceball: agree! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. haha so did u make salsa verde after that ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena,
    This quesadilla looks health and yum!
    Wish I could have some now..supper:p
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena, this looks wonderfully delicious. I love that this is an easy recipe for me to try :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lena, I am a bit late to come and admire your quesadilla :) Looks delicious and simple to make. This one must eat while still warm. Aiyo, must make one of these days/

    ReplyDelete
  27. That quesadilla looks entirely to good! Seriously, it looks amazing with the mushrooms and spinach. I love that flavor combo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow I didn't know she's already 70! Your quesadilla looks really good, especially the oozing cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I cannot believe Martha Stewart is 70!?

    I like how the cheese binds the mushroom and spinach in the quesadilla as one tasty entity!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks good! MS is 70? She looks really good for a 70 year old woman!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-15-vetericyn.html



    I hope you can make it!



    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete