Monday, December 17, 2012

Green Tea Shortbread Cookies


Alan from Travelling Foodies has chosen Creative Christmas Motifs Baking as the theme for Aspiring Bakers this month. Creative i'm not one. Motifs..err..not in my usual baking resume...but i still want to make something to give my support to Alan. I intended to make use of my cookie cutters this time to save work..and to save embarrassment .. i'm pretty sure for me using cookie cutter the result will be far more better than moulding a design using my hands..






As i've no intention to flood my cookies using royal icing, i decided to use green tea powder to 'green' my christmas tree. Really i just wanted a simple design as i  know how 'good' my decorating skills are! LOL! I decorated the cookies using royal icing made from meringue powder which i made a day earlier, just 2 colours, white and yellow. I have also used a portion of the dough using another cookie cutter to pipe out snowflakes design. I think my snowflakes looks better than the christmas tree, i also find it easier to pipe the snowflakes design. As for the flavour, this is really something very matcha. As you can see, the colour of the green tea powder is quite intense and the flavour too. If you love green tea, i think you will like these cookies too. Then again, you will have to see the quality of the green tea powder that you use. Some will not turn out as green or strong using the same quantity..oh, i'm sure you know what i mean..
i hope these look like at least some snowflakes to you...not spiderweb..or something..
look at the left one..i thought it looks like some fish bones spreaded out! LOL!

Recipe( from marthastewart.com)
half of the original recipe, with some adjustments made
Ingredients
11/8cup plain flour
9gm green tea powder
1/8 tsp salt
113gm butter, slightly softened
30gm icing sugar

Method:
1. Sift flour, green tea powder and salt into a small bowl, set aside. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment and cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add sugar and continue to beat until light, about 2 mins more. Add flour mixture, on low speed scraping sides of bowl if necessary until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when pressed with fingers.
2. Divide the dough into 2 portions and roll each portion between 2 plastic sheets into a disc with a thickness of 1/4 inch, chill in freezer till they are firm about 30 minutes.
3. If the dough is too hard, let them thaw for a while before cutting them into shapes. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and cut out desired shapes. Transfer them onto the baking sheet and chill them for about 15 minutes before baking. Bake in a preheated oven at 160C at 25-30mins ( mine for 30 minutes) rotating halfway through. Cool completely on wire rack and store them in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.

i'm not going to provide the recipe for royal icing here as you can find all over the internet. My recipe is based on the packaging label provided on that small tub of meringue powder.

I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #26- Creative Christmas Motif Bakes! hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies

Also linking this post to Cook Like A Star ( Martha Stewart ) hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, together with Baby Sumo from Eat Your Heart Out and Riceball from Riceball Eats


41 comments:

  1. Absolutely loves this....so festive mood decorating the cookies. I loves the christmas tree and the snow flakes. You done the decorating so beautiful, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena,

    Your cookies look very pretty! You are very professional baking and decorating these cookies.

    Will hop over to see Alan's blog to check out the rules and regulations for his event :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful green tea shortbread. Great idea in using green tea instead of coloring and loads of royal icing. I too just prepared the dough today and plan to bake it tomorrow. I am not looking forward to decorating it though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice nice nice !!! I might do the same too :)


    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful cookies :)
    I am pretty sure they are very yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your snowflakes! Like you I am not one to decorate my cookies or cakes either! Very nicely done, am sure Alan is very happy with this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very pretty cookies! Wonder when will have the time to bake some for xmas?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Lena, these are so pretty. I like the idea that you are using green tea powder rather than colouring to achieve the green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena , those cookies are so pretty ! Love the green color so as the decor . Those are snowflakes design not a fish bones ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, your cookies are so cute and pretty! I like your decoration, very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your cookies are very pretty and cute! Making them using green tea powder makes them very "Chrismassy" indeed! Great job, Lena, they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Also visit my website :: static cling

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these holiday cookies! So green and pretty with white icing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, your cookies are simply gorgeous. Really love the Christmas tree one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, these cookies are pretty!! love the green and the icing make it standout, yes, I can smell Christmas :) Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice green short bread, instead of the usual gold/chocolate shortbread, this green tea short bread cookies looks special too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super pretty Lena! Wish i have the time to do this too for christmas, too bad. Love the green tea idea, definitely better than colouring. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pretty snowflake cookie! Very pretty. :)) a cuppa teh with these will be perfect...:) btw, your Xmas tree cookie also nice ya. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Wow! These are so gorgeous! Love it & so festive! Well done Lena! I've just baked some Sablés & use coloring for my royal icing! Now I really regretting it coz I don't really like to use food coloring if I can avoid it. But my youngest son wanted some X'massy colors for the sablés! I was actually thinking of adding pandan paste to do the coloring ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it !!! So christmassy!! Love the green colour and using green tea instead of food colour is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your support, Lena! I think these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Lena, you made such beautiful X'mas cookies. I missed my baking so much. Hopefully, be able to bake something this weekend.
    Enjoy & have a fabulous festive season dear.
    Blessings
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena! You made really beautiful Christmas cookies! Have an early Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Who said you are not creative? These look so beautiful! I'm still deciding what to make for Alan hahaha. I'm bad at decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Lena, these cookies are too cute to be eaten...love the dark green color with the white icing...very elegant and perfect for the Holidays.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i have never thought about making cookies with green tea but what a fantastic idea! They look so cute and so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow.....so green cookies! At first I thought maybe it's colouring. But how wrong! They look really pretty. Love how you decorate them with icing. So beautiful and Christmasy :D I have not started baking for Christmas yet. Can feel the stress coming......hmmm. Play too much :D I really got to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very artistic, Lena! For a moment, I thought they were corals. Love the intense green colour.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I saw the tag green tea cookies at kitchen Bellicious and got curious to see. They look gorgeous. What is a green tea powder? Is it different from tea?

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi everyone, thanks for all of your compliments and encouraging comments!

    balvinder: hi, green tea powder is also known as matcha powder. It is from the grinding of tea leaves, processed into powder form and is unique in japan, where they are grown and cultivate using traditional ways. hard to describe the taste of green tea, some say it's grassy, a little bitter, maybe smoky..etc . You got to try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Green colour is so lovely. I guess I can replace green tea powder with cocoa powder, as my girls love cocoa more.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the reply. I will look for matcha powder.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lena,
    Ohh! i love green tea.
    These green tea shortbread are so nicely decorated.
    I bet they taste just like how they looks..yum!!

    Merry Christmas!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do love green tea shortbread cookies. It's a great way to enjoy green tea. I love how you decorated with the icing, perfect for the holiday season! Mine were just plain.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am making more butter cookies tomorrow. Will take your idea of green tea to green my festive cookies:D

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love these matcha cookies, especially the Christmas tree, they are so cute and lovely! Glad I am still in time to wish you and family a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Lena, beautiful and cute cookies. You really got patience to do the piping job. :)

    Best regards. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such beautiful Christmas cookies. So festive!

    ReplyDelete