Monday, November 19, 2012

Asam Pedas Utara ( Northern Style Hot and Sour Fish )


I find that the northern style of cooking assam dish is rather different from our usual chinese cooking method. It doesnt require sauteing, everything is just boiled to cook. The first time when i cooked this, i find that the taste was rather bland , i couldnt help myself to put in some ajinomoto. The flavours did not come through, all i can taste was just the sourish of the dish. After some feedback and discussion with Wendy, i wanted to cook this again. This time i going to cook in the morning, let it sit for several hours and see if the flavours can develop, at the same time i was also thinking whether to make some fish stock to cook this, then i decided not to, only reduced the water , making it less broth.


It turned out better the second time. Although it's still sourish but at least it's tastier, like eating fish in laksa broth. And using this same recipe, i made laksa too, to be shared in my next post.

Recipe ( from myresipi.com ) with changes
3 whole fish ( i used mabong, mackarel), cleaned and marinate with little salt
7 dried chillies
1/2 big onion
1 clove garlic
some laksa leaves ( daun kesom )
2 stalks torch gingerbud ( bunga kanthan ), halved each
2 pieces asam keping ( tamarind), i soaked in hot water for a few mins
belachan ( shrimp paste)
2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
550ml water
2.5tsp salt
1tsp sugar
ajinomoto ( optional )

Method:
1. Blend or pound dry chillies, onions, garlic and belachan. In a wok, add water and all the blended or pounded ingredients, laksa leaves, lemongrass and the torch gingerbud and bring it to a boil.
2.Add in the fish and the assam keping, simmer at medium low heat for 10 minutes
3.Add sugar and salt or more if needed and a pinch of ajinomoto if using.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Kedah and Perlis month hosted by Wendyinkk of Table for 2 ...or more

27 comments:

  1. I'm the 1st one today!By the look at your asam fish has made been salivating!This is a dish which one can goes with a big bowl of white rice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This assam fish looks very appetising indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even i didnt look at the pic, the word assam already gets me drooling. Must be REAL appetizinf and delicious..... spicy and sour , I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yums... love the spicy and sourish taste on fish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy.... im drooling now over the sourish taste u had desribed...:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you let it sit for a few hours Lena? I think I'll like this one - not many seafood dishes can be prepared way in advance, and sound so appetizing summore, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple dish to cook. I like sourish soup, always can't stop sipping it as it is so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, this is the northern way of making assam fish, I have come across them in teochew porridge restaurants. They go well with the porridge. I bet yours tastes as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how this gravy tastes like. It tastes like Laksa soup to me. I love this dish la! Spicy and sour are always my type of food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena,
    Looks good! The soup is bland? But it looks so delicious to me! I have always like to use lots of onions, as they give a sweet flavour to dishes. I notice this asam fish did not use turmeric. This dish mush be really fragrant from the bunga kantan and the daun kesom. I could finish the soup with not a drop leftover, I love soury soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that the 2nd time it's better.
    It's always kinda weird that one has to let it sit for the flavour to develop.
    That's why I always see recipes in Malay blogs calling for the laksa broth to be made the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the combinations of hot and sour! I bet it is amazing with the fish! Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hot and sour is so perfect for fish! I love the use of lemongrass in this too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, to boil to cook is actually much easier than saute! Just discovered a new way to cook assam dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena...this dish is appetizing ! :) I like it cooked this way hot and sour with the nice fragrant smell of ginger flower...it takes off the fishy smell :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yah, this looks appetizing, should be nice with lots of white rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious and of course fish must be really fresh! I seldom cook fish though, must try this since it doesn't involved frying:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so hungry looking at the fish at this hour, love the hot and sour fish with ginger flower in it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena , I just love the flavor combination of this dish ! Very appetizing and full of flavor !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a huge fan of this style of cooking. But your dish looks quite pretty! I do love the smell and taste of ginger bud though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena what beautiful fish look really nice love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thus us completely new to me, I haven't eaten fish in such a long.

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear everyone, thanks so much for your compliments and encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lena, this asam fish look very appetizing, can have extra rice and I like with lots of gravy. yum yum.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena,
    This asam pedas fish makes my drooling..
    Can have the whole fish by myself..:p

    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess this should be the way of this dish, simple with just sour taste.,,

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not sure about the sour taste, but it looks wonderful and I would love a taste. too bad I didn't see this earlier because I had some tourch gingerbuds in my yard. Now I have to wait until they come up again! :) So much fun learning new things.

    ReplyDelete